RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
WoW vs. Guild Wars

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
I've never played GW. What's the best "healing" class? Cause that's what I'll be playing as.

Self healing or supportive healing? Monk to both, but in terms of other self healing, I can't actually say, all classes have a decent amount of self heals to balance everything out. There is one that outshines the rest, but I can't remember tbh.

Back to subject though...I think content wise WoW has more, but a lot of it is just repeats of previous stuff, too many find and deliver quests, kill X amounts of monsters and come back for a tiny EXP boost and lots of gold.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Guild Wars has some very gorgeous environments, but the buildings tend to look boxy and lazily constructed (which is odd, because GW also has some of the best ruins of buildings I've ever seen), and the colour pallet is a muted and sepia affair with little to no vibrancy- like they took a Hollywood war scene and removed all the conflict raging on in the background. Also, spell and skill effects in Guild Wars don't exactly dazzle me the way they should.

you haven't gotten very far, have you.  After the searing the environments change drastically and they look absolutely gorgeous.

I've got nothing against you for disliking GW, but your reasons are kinda backwards.

I've never played GW. What's the best "healing" class? Cause that's what I'll be playing as.

Monk or Ritualist

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
As stated, I've not played GW, but I have played too much WoW in my day. I've played everything but a rogue, in terms of WoW. Honestly I didn't like WoW past beta that much. I played cause my friends played and I get bored easy. I got to the top and then raids got boring. Possibly because I was always the healer and after a while spamming the same couple hotkeys became mostly second nature. I actually stopped playing 5-6 months ago. I got hacked pretty hard as the second highest ranking officer in the guild and the bank got wiped. Also, WoW is stupid redundant. Like stated a few times before, the quests really ARE just kill or retrieve X of Y then return to Z. Then the next part is, do it again, but more of something that is similar.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
Guild Wars has some very gorgeous environments, but the buildings tend to look boxy and lazily constructed (which is odd, because GW also has some of the best ruins of buildings I've ever seen), and the colour pallet is a muted and sepia affair with little to no vibrancy- like they took a Hollywood war scene and removed all the conflict raging on in the background. Also, spell and skill effects in Guild Wars don't exactly dazzle me the way they should.

you haven't gotten very far, have you.  After the searing the environments change drastically and they look absolutely gorgeous.

I've got nothing against you for disliking GW, but your reasons are kinda backwards.

Entirely true, after you get to yak's bend, the game becomes like a giant environmental Gwrgasm.
Not to mention Factions and NF, Factions is cool because while it's mostly asian inspired, you get hints of greek and gothic structures too. Nightfall is very bland in some parts, but The Kodash Baazar is gorgeous.

Side note, I refuse to jump in the mosh pit of people calling GW, GWO. (Guild Wars Original, which is ANets weeeeeeird attempt at getting people psyched for GW2)

Absolutely the one chosen by fadark
Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
Guild wars doesn't have a bland colour pallet.  That is all.

Rep:
Level 84

Nope. I got the game opening month, played about 3 hours over the course of a week, and decided I wanted those 3 hours back. Does it pick up later on? Maybe, but I don't care. I absolutely refuse to play a game that makes me sit through crap to get to the good parts. There are hundreds, if not thousands of games that are fun from beginning to end, and if developers want to make me suffer through something tedious to get to the 'fun stuff', I would rather just hock it and get a different game. This is a large problem with the whole MMORPG industry right now, and so far the only games in the genre I have found that circumvent this (at least for me) are CoX and Neocron (although Neocron is plagued by a plethora of problems unrelated to this one).

My problem with the game has everything to do with the terrible pacing problems and the general un-epic feel of it (I never felt like my character was anything besides some schmuck who was just like everyone else). All of that, combined with an overall case of "I know what I like, and I don't like this"; that is, even if they did do everything I wanted them to, something about the style, the setting, or something else that I can't quite put my finger on still just irks me to no end. I find all that stuff to be beyond boring to talk about in detail though, so I instead opted to talk about what pet peeves of mine the game touched on.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
The game doesn't really get "boring" after the pe-searing, but Post Ascolan is pretty drab. Three hours to completely judge a game with over hundreds of hours of content is a tall order. Unless the game is pure utter crap, and is riddled with bugs...

My problem with the game has everything to do with the terrible pacing problems and the general un-epic feel of it (I never felt like my character was anything besides some schmuck who was just like everyone else). All of that, combined with an overall case of "I know what I like, and I don't like this"; that is, even if they did do everything I wanted them to, something about the style, the setting, or something else that I can't quite put my finger on still just irks me to no end. I find all that stuff to be beyond boring to talk about in detail though, so I instead opted to talk about what pet peeves of mine the game touched on.

The game is very well paced. Yeah, a major complaint is armor, but you can dye and stuff, so that adds some value. The Un-Epicness feeling is entirely you, the game is different, but it's incredible epic.
I have a 20 Warrior with Vabbian Armor and Elite Gladiator armor, and depending on the build I run with the armor I'm using, I feel like a god. I can take on over five monsters solo with a build I run on my Glad armor, and I can solo farm level 22s (up to six if I recall correctly), not to mention hit mammoth amounts of health while dealing a decent amount of damage. I can also solo farm the UW, kinda new to that, still getting the knks worked out. But after 41 months and over 650 hours of play, I still find things I want to complete.

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
I solo farm on hard mode with a warrior.  I'm that cool.  I can only do this in one spot though, and it isn't profitable enough to do it rather than use my SS.  I have a snowday today, I plan to play guild wars.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween

at the beginning yes, you're pretty much just another novice.
but later on, after you get some killer skills and get a good build going, you can tear through things, and that's where the epicness comes from.

I mean, come on, you hit the Underworld in this game :P

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
What are your guys names again?  I will add you post-haste.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast

Leon Fawkesey

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!

Jack Rex
I'll be playing as my Pre-Searing Necro this morning, but I'll switch over if you guys want to do something.

Rep:
Level 84
at the beginning yes, you're pretty much just another novice.
but later on, after you get some killer skills and get a good build going, you can tear through things, and that's where the epicness comes from.

The lack of epic feeling has nothing to do with the in-game mechanics of Guild Wars, and everything to do with style and narrative. To use WoW as an example (because this is one of the few things I think that they got right) right from the moment you leave the newbie zone, you get to chum it up with the big shots of the game world. When I got a quest, it was because that person admired your work, and thought I was the best person for the job. There was no point during WoW outside of the starting area where I felt like anything besides a world-saving hero to the people. WoW made me care about my character and the game world on a personal level (and then the gameplay came along and ruined all that). My Guild Wars character never felt like anything besides a pile of statistics, and certainly never made that jumble of numbers feel like the protagonist of the story I was playing. I'm a bit player in real life- I don't want to also be one in my escapist fantasies. Not knowing anyone in real life who played might also have been a factor, because in GW (and also in WoW), I never once PUGed with full party without regretting it, and usually almost instantly.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
so i'm going to toss this out there, how about we toss out names in the sticky and have someone edit the mmo charas into a list in the first post? seems like we should probably have some

My Characters on guildwars are Strike Reyhi and Ray Godwin, but i can't play becasue it won't run on this computer i'll be on once i build my rig in spring

Llama, the problem is you never left the newbie zone, sure it's rather large but you can pretty much skip most of it and go right to post sear.

Edit: er, Rather I put your Guild wars info in the Online Game Info thread.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 10:51:59 PM by Strike Reyhi »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
The lack of epic feeling has nothing to do with the in-game mechanics of Guild Wars, and everything to do with style and narrative. To use WoW as an example (because this is one of the few things I think that they got right) right from the moment you leave the newbie zone, you get to chum it up with the big shots of the game world. When I got a quest, it was because that person admired your work, and thought I was the best person for the job.

Teaming up with the Prince of the entire nation, to attack an army, batallion by batallion isn't chumming it up with the big shots?

There was no point during WoW outside of the starting area where I felt like anything besides a world-saving hero to the people. WoW made me care about my character and the game world on a personal level (and then the gameplay came along and ruined all that). My Guild Wars character never felt like anything besides a pile of statistics, and certainly never made that jumble of numbers feel like the protagonist of the story I was playing. I'm a bit player in real life- I don't want to also be one in my escapist fantasies. Not knowing anyone in real life who played might also have been a factor, because in GW (and also in WoW), I never once PUGed with full party without regretting it, and usually almost instantly.

well you start off as an average person with potential, rather than an OMG LOOK A HERO!
Your character actually develops as GW goes along, through the storyline.

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
My guy can tank an infinite number of demons from hell.  I have a massive axe and a shield the size of a doorway.  This isn't epic enough for you?  Also- I have a fucking giant mech to follow me around.