RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
DOES ANYONE KNOWRPG 2k3 COLOUR LIMITATIONS?

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
RAGING BONOCULAS
like said in the subject hedder I need to know the 2k3 colour limitations
so could someone like send them to me
or like tell me what they are because
I need to know so I can import pics
THNX.
oOTheKidsOo  ;8

Rep:
Level 87
looks to be some information Here that might help you.  Short answer is 256 colours (8-bit).  Sizes differ depending on what it is you're trying to import.
Always remember you're unique.
Just like everybody else.

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
RAGING BONOCULAS
what does that all mean???
like 256 8 bit?
is that liek a specific colour?
ORRR
is it a specific type of colours?

Rep:
Level 87
it's an indication of how many colours the system can handle.  8-bit means a maximum of 256 different colours/shades allowable.

If you have images, open them up in some graphics editing program.  There's usually a Properties or Information option in the menus that will show what format the file is saved in (not .jpg or .gif or .png, but whether it's 8-bit, 32-bit or whatever).  Some programs will allow you to convert from one to another, so you may be able to adjust your image to 8-bit/256 colour and see what it'll look like.  Then you can save it that way and you may be able to open it in RM2K3.  Keep in mind too that the size/resolution are probably different between 2k3 and RMXP as well.

If it's all a bit much for you, email me one of the images (should be an email icon below my user id) and I'll take a look, convert to 8-bit, and send back to you so you can see the difference.

Do you happen to know if the images you have were designed for rm2k3 or for rmxp?  That may be where all your troubles are.
Always remember you're unique.
Just like everybody else.

Rep:
Level 88
wrath of winter
I'm still confused on it too...but Microsoft Paint so far has been the only image program I've needed.  You can open the image there and then go to File, Save As... and from there there should be a bar on the bottom that has the image depth or file type you want to save to.  Drop it down and you should find a "256-color (8-bit) bitmap (.bmp)" or something similar.  Save it as that and the colors will automatically adjust.  If you don't like the colors that adjusted, even though Paint typically has a bad original 8-bit palette preset on the bottom, you can double-click on the boxes of colors to change them.  The color you select, though, when put into the image, will 8-bit itself, so what you select or adjust may not be an 8-bit color.  You can change colors around until you find good replacement colors for the ones that warped after the file-save.  I know that sometimes in Paint, yellows will turn to a bluish gray when I save a PNG or 24-bit image to 8-bit.  Makes it hard when you take a pic of someone's face you wanna put in your game and then their face turns weird colors, but like I said you can change colors in Paint and Fill-Bucket those areas.  (in case you don't know, Fill-Bucket is the icon with the spilling paint bucket.  Fills in an area of the color you click it on in the image.  If you already knew, good.) 

A complex method I use to find good colors:  I open two instances of Paint and have one open the image I need to edit, while the other opens a standard sheet from RPGM's folders, usually a CharSet image.  Using the Highlighter tools and the Copy&Paste (Ctrl C + Ctrl V) I copy an area that has the colors I need, go to the image that needs editing, and paste it nearby.  Then I can use the Color Pickup (the eyedropper tool) to pick the colors I need.  Because the RPGM sets are all already 8-bit colors, they have the colors I need so I don't have to go through and trial-and-error color changes.  Came in very handy when I made Cloud and Sephiroth sprites for my game.  Instead of trying to get the right yellows and stuff I found them on clothes and hair of various hero charsets.

Yeah, 8-bit limitation on images is annoying at times...but with enough screwing around with Paint or some other image program you'll get the gist of it.

Want a personal sig like this? Ask Firerain:
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,20203.0.html

Rep:
Level 87
this is my character
really rpg maker only takes 256 colour pics. it's pretty easy to make them 256 colours! Usually I only use Ultimate Paint so I don't think anyone has that! But any way that's what colours needed!

Rep:
Level 88
Keep on Baggin'
My system for rpg 2k3 was simple, Id draw whatever, and then color it to my hearts content in photoshop (with no limitations.)  Then you simply go "save for web" and it will automatically (and unnoticeably) trim your colors down to 256, then you don't have to worry about palette nonsense.

If you have paint and photoshop you can draw it with as many colors as you want i paint, cut and paste it in photoshop and then save for web.  Ta da!
Some friends mend.  Some friends depend.  Some friends lend.  Some friends send.  Friend.

Rep:
Level 88
wrath of winter
Well, I prefer non-timelimit freeware, so Photoshop is out for me.  And I can't find Ultimate Paint.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
Wait, wasn't 256 16-Bit?
:O
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 87
Well, I prefer non-timelimit freeware, so Photoshop is out for me.  And I can't find Ultimate Paint.

how bout ultimatepaint.com ?

Rep:
Level 88
wrath of winter
The page won't load for me no matter what computer I'm on. 

And 256-color, for some reason, is labelled as 8-bit.  I too thought it was 16-bit but it's labelled as 8.  Go figure...

Rep:
Level 87
 ??? weird...

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween

GraphicsGale

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 88
wrath of winter
GraphicsGale

Tried it already.  I like Paint better, mainly for drawing purposes.  I'll use GG once in a while, mainly for animation because of the onion-skin technique.

Banned
Rep:
Level 87
What are you looking at...Yes im a frog.....*Lick*
Real faces wont work only XP can do that T.T

Shot at 2007-07-26

Rep:
Level 88
wrath of winter
Real faces wont work only XP can do that T.T

??  Was that in response to my first post up there?