RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Fangames: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
I think I am not the only one to have seen the sudden rise in fangames lately, which has been worrying me lately as I am actually making a fangame myself. Before reading, I have to admit that I was almost not going to post this thread, due to it coming across too egotistic, but I think that I should get this out there at least.

One of the things that has been worrying me is that most of these fangames have come around after my current project has been gaining more popularity across RM communities. I bet you are wondering why I think that part of the problem is my current project, aren't you? Well seeing some current projects, I find it more than a coincidence that these have shown up just as the project is just started to becoming more known.

The thing about these projects though is that they look good, but not like a Final Fantasy game, or a Final Fantasy game the project is based on.

Anyway, I made this thread to go through points that should be taken into consideration if you are ever thinking of creating a fangame based off an existing franchise (even though it should be avoided).

The Good

Make Theory become Reality

There are a lot of games out there that end with cliffhangers with no sequel in sight, and games that end with pieces missing out of the storyline, such as a character's back story that has something to do with a storyline was actually not described, or didn't have enough detail. With popular franchises with cliffhangers, theories are conjured up by fans to try and fill holes that appeared in the game's story. Using a well thought out and detailed theory, a fangame could be created from it, which can be used to show how the theory would fit in.

That's some good Spritework you have there

I remember seeing a few fangames that were just short demos showcasing spritework that was similar to certain franchises. If I remember correctly, I loved them, as they were really just interactive sprite galleries, which I really enjoyed.

The Bad

What if characters from [Franchise first game] meet the main characters from [Franchise second game]? That would be AWESOME

No, no it wouldn't. Most sequels when it comes to JRPGs are either normally right after each other in the timeline, or based hundreds or thousands of years later, some of them are not even in the same universe/dimension! So games based around meeting characters like this is normally a very bad idea. I know what you are thinking; "But Tezuka, didn't a game come out just recently that has characters from different games in the franchise?". Why yes it did, but the game has been in development for years, plus it was to mark the 20th Anniversary for the franchise as well. Playing myself, I also recall that they do not acknowledge each other as being from the same universe.

What if x wasn't really dead and was just pretending, so they could make a comeback?

You probably are wondering if this has ever been pulled before, well it has. Some fan games use the old "They weren't really dead, they were just defeated" excuse. Of course, this isn't just limited to fan games, some large-scale companies do it too. But nonetheless, still a lame excuse.

Hey remember when x hated y in the original? They are married now!

When making a fan game, make sure that if the characters in the game you base it on had defined traits and personalities, that you don't just suddenly flip them around for your own reasons.  If the Male Lead and some Bubbly Female character didn't see eye to eye in the game, there's no way that they'd have a romantic escapade in the fan game.  And please, don't use the "well he was only pretending to be that sort of person in the game" excuse.  It's terrible.  tl;dr, stay true to the source.

By NAMKCOR

The Ugly

Before I start this part, I would like to add that everything in this section is TOTALLY AVOIDABLE and should not pop-up if you are creating a fangame. If you disagree with anything in the "Ugly" section, please post with your reason(s) why you think it does not deserve to be here.

It's called [INSERT SERIES HERE]. so it must become Awesome!

No, no no no no NO!

This is one of the most common things that appear in fangames. Lately I have seen fangames popping up from franchises such as Final Fantasy and other widely known franchises (I will not put down due to finding a lot of them lately on RMRK), but nearly has nothing to do with the series.

The legend of the Onion Knight being reborn for a Final Fantasy III fangame? Sure!

New age Crystal Warriors in an Final Fantasy I fangame? Okay!

A Breath of Fire fangame with another Ryu? Pass the Kool-Aid!

A Final Fantasy game with no links to past games story or technical wise? No.

If it is based on the franchise, makes sure it is based on the franchise.

I can't find sprites or spriters, I guess I'll use RTP characters

Nope.

People seem to be critisizing my game, they can all go #$%#$ themselves! :mad:

I know this isn't exactly based on the game, but it is worth putting in. When you are creating a fangame, you are creating a game that could have been someone's all-time classic that they treasure as being the best game they have ever player, or near enough anyway. When they see your game, they will look for what made that game special in it's own way, if it is missing, their is a 99% chance that they will make themselves heard. But here on RMRK, we mostly give good advice if it looks like you are making an effort but struggling in a certain field, such as mapping. Of course, people can be more critical than others, but in the end you have to figure out what they are trying to say, it could help you in the long run.

NEEDZ MOAR SCRIPTZ

With RPG Maker XP and VX, there are many scripts that can be used to enhance the game, but along with these scripts you also need consistancy. Script are created by people with the knowledge that can help make your game better, but this does not mean getting 20-30 scripts and planting them into the script databae will make your game award-winning, it just means you are running 20-30 scripts.

Scripts can be a double-edged sword; it can either make a game, or break a game. Make sure you pick the scripts you need need for your project, especially if you are making a fangame.

Also remember, if your game is good, it reflects well on the scriptor(s)

To be added

• Two more for "The Good"
  • Three more for "The Bad"
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 05:25:34 PM by Tezuka »

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
Nicely said so far, Tez. A lot of people just think that as soon as they have a good program, they can continue to play out their favorite games as they like without properly planning things out or thinking about what they can actually accomplish without being overly ambitious.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Aaargh! Everywhere I go I see more negative feelings toward fangames. Honestly, the only reason this bothers me is because I am making one as well. It is for my wife, and it's my first attempt at game making. Pursuant to #1, it will not be a difficult game, and pursuant to #2, it will probably suck by many people's standards.

In the New Project post I clearly stated that I didn't care what other people thought about the fangame idea, but now I think it may have been a bad idea to do one- or at least to throw it out on the forums.

I can only hope it ends up good enough for the person who requested it. Then I can get on to other material.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature spaceSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Damn it, even I'm planning one.

Thank god I have none of the bads. ;_;

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Updated:

• Added "The Ugly"
  • Added "To be added" list

Aaargh! Everywhere I go I see more negative feelings toward fangames.

I guess you need to look at my signature.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
I stand corrected. :-[
:tinysmile:

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I'm personally not much of a fan of fan-games because they usually turn out crappy.
That being said, if I see a good one in the works (like Tez's game) I give it the respect it is due.

Tez, add one more thing for me.

Character Personalities.
When making a fan game, make sure that if the characters in the game you base it on had defined traits and personalities, that you don't just suddenly flip them around for your own reasons.  If the Male Lead and some Bubbly Female character didn't see eye to eye in the game, there's no way that they'd have a romantic escapade in the fan game.  And please, don't use the "well he was only pretending to be that sort of person in the game" excuse.  It's terrible.  tl;dr, stay true to the source.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Added to "The Bad" with a snappy new title. :X

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
thanks Tez.
that bit always annoyed me about fanfics or fangames.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 85
I am the wood of my broom
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for April 2010
It's kinda funny that my fangames are mostly crossovers...

ff7+Touhou = Advent Cirno
Blazblue+Touhou = Blaze Blue

...HAHA XD

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Project of the Month winner for April 2008
It's kinda funny that my fangames are mostly crossovers...
I don't see how that affects it thou.

D: I think they meant characters crossing over, not a blend of both that would make sense ~ @w@

I find it funny how people say Fan Games are unoriginal because now-a-days every game is unoriginal. So in your game will someone try to take over the world (been done), take over the world again (been done), kidnap some sweet and pretty girl (been done), take over the world (been done), hero falls in love with best friend (been done), hero falls in love with child hood friend, been done....so I wonder what is so original about creating an original story because in truth it is not original you just use the idea of another. This is the same concept for fan games, because now you can tell your own story, but you must know the rules first. First off look at FF games yes the same names are used, but Cid from FF does not look like Cid in FFX. And this is why I am neutral because it is possible to create a fan based game that people like, but YOU MUST RESEARCH what you are about to create. If anything stay away from sequels to games that should not have one (e.g. FFV is a one time game and has no sequel). Now since I use FF as an example one could argue well they did it with FFX and this is true. But they left FFX open for a sequel and thus it fit. STOP using RIPPED sprites (Mario based games are okay to use ripped sprites, but not in FF as the characters never look the same (except in sequels or prequels) and I told you to stay away from one of them. Also a RPG Mortal Kombat fan game is a no go and this goes for any FIGHTING game; either make it a fighter or leave it alone. Games like The Legend of Dragoon would be okay to make a squeal, but do it right!!! So what is a fan game? Anything you like and wish to tell your own story (originality has nothing to do with it except DO SOME RESEARCH).

Example; in 2005 a Indie fan game was held and many people entered, even I did. I created Super Mario: Time Warp and in short Bowser was fooling around with a time machine and the past, present, and future collided sending Mario and his friends on an adventure to save their past, present, and future. It took second place landing me $200 and a new PS2. SO if you do make a fan game DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!