RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Amnesia in Games and Movies

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
Why is Amnesia the beginning of every rpg and a ton of movies.  Amnesia has nothing to do with losing your previous memories, it only affects your ability to store short term memories, basically you can't remember what happened ten minutes ago, but everything before the brain damage is fine, also you don't recover, ever.  So for all that is holy, do not start your game out with "You woke up with Amnesia and cannot remember your past."  If you feel it neccessary, blame it on a monster that steals memories.

Thanks you and have a nice day.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Because it makes for a good, dramatic storyline. End of thread.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
It leaves up for later surprises like: "ZOMG! I was one of the bad guys!"

"You woke up with Amnesia and cannot remember your past."  If you feel it neccessary, blame it on a monster that steals memories.

But I agree with that part. If you have to include Amnesia, at least make it more dramatic and more logical.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 06:49:03 AM by Blizzard »
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
And also create a kind of "Climax"
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 96
The most delicious kind of climax, that is.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
How did we go from amnesia to orgasms?

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
Sex. Duh.

And Short Term Memory is what you're speaking about.

Amnesia is another word for memory loss.
It can be short - term or long - term. And you can recover.

If you get amnesia, you may have forgotten the past ten minutes, or the past ten years.
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
EDIT- i meant I not you oops

I heard somewhere that you never forget anthing. That's your brain just forgot how to get to that memorie and people just lose the conecion to the part of the brain with a memory... wait if you lose some ofr your brain you could loose memory... mmory is weird because there is no one spot in your brain where it is stored.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 12:57:55 AM by BanisherOfEden »
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

And Short Term Memory is what you're speaking about.

Amnesia is another word for memory loss.
It can be short - term or long - term. And you can recover.

You can't recover from true amnesia, it isn't possible, otherwise why would so many have to live their lives without recalling what happened 5 minutes ago (Well it may be possible with stem cells, this has had some success with Alzheimers)

You heard somewhere that you never forget anthing. That's your brain just forgot how to get to that memorie and people just lose the conecion to the part of the brain with a memory... wait if you lose some ofr your brain you could loose memory... mmory is weird because there is no one spot in your brain where it is stored.

You do not remember everything that occurs.  Actually you never remember anything that happens, at least not how we think of it.  You remember parts of an event and then your mind makes the rest up to fill in the blanks.  And yes, memory is stored in many unconnected locations, but you have the ability to locate it very quickly.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
I love when people argue about something neither side actually knows anything about.

Seriously guys, take a few minutes to do some research. Information is not rare on the internet.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Wikipedia.
Google.
My dog.
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 96
I love when people argue about something neither side actually knows anything about.

Seriously guys, take a few minutes to do some research. Information is not rare on the internet.
There's some fine information right there!

Rep:
Level 89
What will that crazy ape do next?
from webster:

Main Entry: am·ne·sia
Pronunciation: am-'nE-zh&
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin, from Greek amnEsia forgetfulness, alteration of amnEstia
1 : loss of memory due usually to brain injury, shock, fatigue, repression, or illness
2 : a gap in one's memory
3 : the selective overlooking or ignoring of events or acts that are not favorable or useful to one's purpose or position

don't care to do more research than that
My Project: Dark Empire
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,7815.0.html
Official Site: http://darkempirerpg.tripod.com
Process: Getting back to work.

Always looking for sprites, if your interested, PM.

"But then I realized, why stop things from exploding, when in fact it is in exploding that things reach their perfect form. Of course, they only reach it for a few glorious seconds, but during that short time there is no object in the universe more beautiful." -Kite Rockswell, the Mad-Mad Bomber, from The Final War, my very own novel project.  PM me if you would like to read.

"Oh, sure, blaim the wizards..."

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
I agree that amnesia is being used too much and being used incorrectly but I don't know why no one has said anything about "My Family's Memento" thing though.

SO IN BRIEF:

Amnesia=cliche (I think that is spelt right).
Family Mementos'= Becoming a modern cliche.

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
I was right ! Lol, booyah.

Quote from: darkelementwars
from webster:

Main Entry: am·ne·sia
Pronunciation: am-'nE-zh&
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin, from Greek amnEsia forgetfulness, alteration of amnEstia
1 : loss of memory due usually to brain injury, shock, fatigue, repression, or illness
2 : a gap in one's memory
3 : the selective overlooking or ignoring of events or acts that are not favorable or useful to one's purpose or position

don't care to do more research than that
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
That's what I said in dumbtard words.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text
Do yuo know wat would make a good game character. a guy with amnesia. but the short term one were he cant memba the last 10-30 minutes. that would be fucking crack up.

Rep:
Level 96
Yeah, especially if the other characters kept knocking him out when it was most convienient for them.

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text
i agree whole heartedly!

I have a big fat Psychology book, would that count as information?

Oh, and the internet lies, a lot.

Rep:
Level 96
i agree whole heartedly!

You're totally mimicking me. :P

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text
what? When did you say that?

Rep:
Level 96
Twice, at least, on .org.

Rep:
Level 89
What will that crazy ape do next?
Amnesia is over used becuase it allows a reason for a hero to progress a plot other than just "I'm the great hero of the world!  Time to save the day!"
I'll admit that it is overused, but I think when used right it can still be a powerful storyline tool.
My Project: Dark Empire
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,7815.0.html
Official Site: http://darkempirerpg.tripod.com
Process: Getting back to work.

Always looking for sprites, if your interested, PM.

"But then I realized, why stop things from exploding, when in fact it is in exploding that things reach their perfect form. Of course, they only reach it for a few glorious seconds, but during that short time there is no object in the universe more beautiful." -Kite Rockswell, the Mad-Mad Bomber, from The Final War, my very own novel project.  PM me if you would like to read.

"Oh, sure, blaim the wizards..."