RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Entering text to attack in battle

Rep: +0/-0Level 73
RMRK Junior
Hello, haven't messed with RPG Maker since 2000 and it's looking amazing!  So I would like to make an RPG where the battle system is based around entering text to attack--either English or Japanese text--and comparing the entered text with the correct answer.  Before I spend hours learning script, I just want to know if anyone thinks that this seems feasible.

Thank you for any help!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 04:28:27 PM by Wotfreak »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
It would certainly be easy enough to script, and so feasible in that sense.

If you mean feasible as in, "would anyone want to play a game with a battle system like that," then I don't know.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Hm. That's actually an interesting idea, and I'm sure it's definitely possible. I know there is a keyboard script out there and I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to match up the words, providing you give enough leeway for errors and interpretations. Application in battle though may cause some hassle, especially if you're only just starting to learn. n_n;

Rep:
Level 82
We learn by living...
you mean a Q&A attack system or a Free form attack system? I once set up something for elaborate use of Adjectives 'you slash viciously with your longsword' etc.