RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Screenshot Thread

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
I think you need to have more to fill the space. Like junkyards and cars.

good idea... I haven't made anything like that yet and it really helps that you told me that. Also... I need to have some dumped-over dumpsters and some trash to blow in the wind...
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 82
And airconiditioners and stairways ontop of buildings. Garbage cans and street lights. You can do it! What you have currently is a good start.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Eh, I kinda like the minimalistic mapping. It fits the old school style better. Sure, you could add a few more things but I wouldn't go overboard. I think your graves are a little too random though. Graves are usually in neat rows.

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
And airconiditioners and stairways ontop of buildings. Garbage cans and street lights. You can do it! What you have currently is a good start.

I didn't think of air conditioners, nor garbage cans, for that matter... The street lights I was already thinking of though... But the garbage cans I come up with don't look right... and the air conditioners... I'm trying to a central air kinda exterior unit... and it isn't going too well...

EDIT: yeah, as for the graves, I wasn't sure if they'd be neat and even if the whole point was that the people died from a pandemic and graves became more along the lines of a place to bury people, not a way to respect them...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 06:04:58 AM by Sashikinaroji »
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Communication begins with understanding
Rep:
Level 89
Project of the Month winner for October 2007
Spoiler for:

Rep:
Level 82
Will your characters also been shadowed? Its always bothered me with panoramas with stars. Does this mean the mountain is above the stars themself? Its still a great looking map. Kudos.

Rep:
Level 87
Really love the style you're going with, Sashikinaroji. And Shadow, I'm curious why is the start point in the sky? Unless, you haven't specified that part yet.

Spoiler for:

Rep:
Level 89
It's there because I forgot to place it somewhere else.

Nothing special here. I just wonder if the light effect works?

pokeball TDSOffline
Rep:
Level 84
-T D S-
Silver - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - Game In A Week VII
Sashikinaroji: I love that kind of graphics on games, I would definitely play it. The only thing that bothers me is the glass windows, don't know why they just look a bit strange to me.

And... Finally a video.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDhyq_wdTGw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDhyq_wdTGw</a>

Rep: +0/-0Level 70
Whoa, what's going on?!
@Sashi: Ha, the good ol' days. I like it. Looks fine the way it is, clutter doesn't work with that graphic style, really.
@Shadow: Saw this on another thread already, but yeah I like it! Though you could do with a different panorama, like the ones by Rieves are pretty good though I forget where to find them.
@TDS: Guy, that is insane. Like, you deserve all the cookies in the world because that is great.  Can't wait to see some kind of tech demo or something. Good job.

Sadly, I have no screenshots right now. But I might get something up some time soon if I ever get off my lazy ass (or well on...but still) .__.

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
The cards There so awesome : O

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
I've decided to change up my maps... Before it was all done in the editor, but I have made a parallax for a city block... That way, I can make as many blocks as I want in mere seconds and have a whole 'nother layer of tiles to use for more pressing issues... This also fixes my problem with shift-keying the sidewalks and buildings... which, quite honestly was a pain in the ass.

I'm really looking forward to that card game, ya know. I really like the way it's turning out.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
That looks fantastic TDS!
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 82
From my project:

Rep:
Level 89
I think it's a bit to dark. Im using the family computer, and I can't see anything exept for the light effects.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
If you can't see anything but the light effects, you should consider calibrating your monitor.

Rep:
Level 82
Oh, it's supposed to be the sewers that's why it's dark...

Should I lighten it up a little bit?

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
No, it's fine. Shadow's monitor is poor.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
I don't like how there's something on just about every tile. It reminds me of the square nature of VX.
Your detail is nice, but if you have something everywhere it looks silly.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 89
Im at my own computer now, and it looks fine :).

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
The new menu system for War of the Souls, Soul Cry. I plan to release all the menu screen shots this weekend a long with a blog post on them.

The reason there are different colors (as will be explained better later) is because they are color coded.

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
it just doesn't seem to be neccessary for them to be color coded...

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
I'm going to agree with Sash(a) here; it should really all just be one colour. And why are the commands indented? I can understand if you had a hand cursor or something, but there isn't a good reason for the indents to exist.

Since I've been giving a lot of critique but haven't ever posted a screenshot, here's a tiny WIP map + tileset for a little project I'm working on.

I was going for a desaturated, dark and gloomy atmosphere, like something you would see out of a post-apocalyptic game. Right now, I think that the main problems in my map are:
  • The "mountains", which look like giant pieces of poop.
  • The sand, which is too bright and needs a recolour (specifically the bright speckles that poke out at the player's eyes).
  • The balancing on this map, which is too one sided (this is for a Turn-Based Strategy). The player on the left island can launch a two-pronged attack as they have two entrances onto the main island, while the player on the right island only has one method of entering (an extremely narrow chokepoint), thus giving the player on the left island an enormous advantage.

The problem is how should I fix the balance. If I were to create a second bridge from the right island connecting on the main island, where should I build it? Or should I just give the team on the right island a huge advantage? Or is it ok as it is, and should it just be an easy win for the player (left side)?

Note that this map is designed to be played using only land units; there are no aerial or sea units, which is why holding the chokepoints is such a mega-giga deal. And both players begin with a set amount of units, so they can't just build meatshields to hold their chokepoints before they have enough funds to bust in and take down the opposing team.

But before making any changes, I'd like to hear your opinions on the map. What should I change in the tileset (if anything), and how can I make the map a little more balanced, without sacrificing it's aesthetic value?

EDIT: A couple more things you should know. Forests (both the evergreens and the dead forests) give a defense bonus of 2 (which means any unit on a forest takes 2 less damage), and mountains are impassable.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 06:17:58 PM by cozziekuns »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
@Adrien - I don't mind the colour coding, but the positioning is kind of off (the centres are off). Some of it is probably intentional, like the class right-oriented and the names centred, but the positioning is noticably off between the characters and the stats, like:

(the numbers above the dotted lines are how many pixels are between the edge of the bar and the centre line (which I made based on the middle of the characters)

Based on that, Emit's character graphic should be moved to the left 2-3 pixels, Levious' 5-6, and Enix's 2-3. Keana is centred already.

It's not a huge deal, of course, but I did find it noticable. There's also a lot of empty space. It might help to just double the size of the sprites, I don't know.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 06:33:58 PM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 75
Here is an idea replace the sprites with their face graphics then put their sprites in the bottom right corner of the face graphic.

Spoiler for:

Spoiler for:
John 3:16: For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life