RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Overlapping BGMs [rm2k]

Rep: +0/-0Level 76
RMRK Junior
So I have this library by the ocean in which a cut scene takes place. Of course, you need to have music in a cutscene, but I was wondering if there is any way to make it so that you can hear the bgm "SEsea" at the same time as the music. In rm2k, this "ambient sound effect" it is treated as a bgm, and as far as I can figure out you can only have one bgm playing at once.

The only thing I can think of is layering them in like a music editor, and merging them into one file... but I don't like this alternative very much.
An nation's brave captain must choose between his morality, and what he knows is right.
A village handyman on the run must learn fast the way of the sword, or die by it.
A farmer's daughter is captured, abused, turned into a mad woman.
A ruthless queen is forced to kill her own people to save thousands of lives.

Yeah my game is gonna be cool. I'm still learning, though. :)

Rep:
Level 81
Well there is an easier method. Just export the sea sound file and re import it to the sound effect folder. (if it's in mp3 format, convert it first). Then just have an event play the sound, wait the duration out before looping back and playing it all over again. Since it's a seperate sound, it'll play in tandem with the BGM. Really, i don't recommend playing ambiance and BGM at the same time as sometimes, the ambiance overpowers the BGM. Usually, the ambiance fades out with the coming of a different BGM but the choice is up to you.

Rep:
Level 84
The Guardian Dragon
In XP and VX there is support to have seperate ambience tracks but RM2000 unfortunately cannot do this... Instead, simply place the SESea file into the "Sound" folder and have a Parallel Process event continually play that sound in the background as the cutscene unfolds (or time how long the file takes to run through and simply play it every six seconds or so in your cutscene) doing this it will overlap the BGM.
Developer of Legionwood and One Night and author of post-apocalyptic novel Sun Bleached Winter. Find everything I've made at http://drobertgrixti.com.

RMRK Junior
Okay, so I tried making it as a parallel process that looks like this:

<>Play SE: SEsea
<>Wait: 5.3s

And normally this works just fine, but there is a problem. For some damn reason, rm2k games sometimes kinda run a bit choppy on my laptop. So, sometimes the sound effect loops flawlessly, and sometimes there is a gap between looping (or did I make the event wrong?). But I think I may have thought of a solution... What if I used the SEsea as BGM, and used the midi as a sound effect? A BGM goes for much longer seamlessly. Can either of you see any reason why this would be a bad idea? Also, it would eliminate the need for 2 seperate events (auto start + parallel process) to control my cutscene.

Alternatively, I can edit the sound file for SEsea to be like... 4 minutes long or however long I need it. Is there any problem with playing very long "sound effects"?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 05:56:17 AM by Lancifer »
An nation's brave captain must choose between his morality, and what he knows is right.
A village handyman on the run must learn fast the way of the sword, or die by it.

Rep:
Level 84
The Guardian Dragon
There shouldn't be much of a problem if you extend the SESea for as long as you need it to be. Likewise, your idea of using the MIDI music as a sound effect is a good one too (I think RM2000 lets you use MIDIs as sound effects and not just WAVs) but if you do that, you'll need to make sure your cutscene length does not exceed the music length because the music will not loop on its own unless you place a command in to play it again.

By the way, the event you posted above should be working. Of course, if an Auto Start plays on the same map, this will override it unless you make the other event a parallel process too.
Developer of Legionwood and One Night and author of post-apocalyptic novel Sun Bleached Winter. Find everything I've made at http://drobertgrixti.com.

RMRK Junior
Well, no the event totally works. It's just that these games don't run so well (maybe because of windows 7, I have no idea...) on my computer, and that affects how the 5.3 seconds counted by the game compares to 5.3 seconds in reality. :D Thanks for your suggestions, I think I might have it figured out now.