RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Timing Dialogue in a Cutscene [rm2k]

Rep: +0/-0Level 76
RMRK Junior

Hi everyone,

I'm working on the opening cutscene at the beginning of my game, there are lots of actors walking around, and lots of dialogue. But I have come to a bit of a problem. Is there any way to make a message disappear after a few seconds, so that the story can progress without the player having to push the button over and over? I feel that this gives the player too much "timing" power, as the next dialogue box will wait until the player has canceled the current one. This screws up the timing of actors walking around and stuff.

This is a real problem because I have two actors walking down a short hallway where they exchange 3 separate dialogue boxes. The conversation continues when they walk into the next map, so I need to find out how to make it so that the conversation won't end before they reach the end of the hall; and they won't reach the end of the hall until this part of the conversation is over.

I could have it so that they walk a few steps, speak, walk a few steps, speak... but this is really choppy. Specifically, I want to be able to do something similar to the "Wait" command, in which I tell the dialogue box EXACTLY how long it's allowed to exist for, no more, no less. Is this possible?

Thanks for your ideas!
An nation's brave captain must choose between his morality, and what he knows is right.
A village handyman on the run must learn fast the way of the sword, or die by it.
A farmer's daughter is captured, abused, turned into a mad woman.
A ruthless queen is forced to kill her own people to save thousands of lives.

Yeah my game is gonna be cool. I'm still learning, though. :)

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
See this sticky: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,18.0.html

You'll notice that putting the \^ code in a message will close the box without any player input

Rep: +0/-0Level 76
RMRK Junior
Oh, wow! This is just what I was looking for, thanks!  :D
An nation's brave captain must choose between his morality, and what he knows is right.
A village handyman on the run must learn fast the way of the sword, or die by it.
A farmer's daughter is captured, abused, turned into a mad woman.
A ruthless queen is forced to kill her own people to save thousands of lives.

Yeah my game is gonna be cool. I'm still learning, though. :)