RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
background image instead of tiles?

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
~Genma
Is there a way to use whole images instead of tiles for your dungeon/world map backgrounds? I was thinking maybe you have to find a way to make the tiles transparent, but i dont know how to do that, or how to import an image out of photoshop and use it as a background image. ( i love doing painted backgrounds, and dont want to use tiles if i can avoid it. ) Can anyone help me out here? Anything tips would be great! ^_^ Either way, thanks alot!
"What a terible night to have a curse..."

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
I think that should be possible. But remember that you can't use more than 256 colours because the Maker is using PNG saved GIFs (at least that's how I think it works in RPG Maker 2000).
To make transparant tiles edit one of the basic Chipsets and fill the whole sheet with the colour they're using for transparency.
I'm not sure how it would work with the different layers, or if it would be possible to put multiple image layers in one map (I don't have much experience with using images in the RPG Maker XP).
Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb!!

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
The process for doing this depends on which maker you're using, but I am fairly certain it can be done with all of them. If done right the end result can be quite nice~

Rep:
Level 88
Well, f0tz's Pixel Movement script should work, otherwise use a panorama with a black tileset.
RGSS Dev

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

~Genma
Oh my, thank you very much! (im using RPG maker 03, by the way) Would you happen to know where i could the f0tz Pixel movement script?

~Genma
Well, f0tz's Pixel Movement script should work, otherwise use a panorama with a black tileset.

Thanks! Would you happen to know where i could get that script?

Rep:
Level 88
Random-Idiot
On rmpx.org, but it is not for rm2k(3). You can't use scripts in earlier versions of rpgmaker.
ALL HAIL ME™