RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Anyone Know...

herp derp
Rep:
Level 81
Newclear Bomb
...Where i could learn how to sprite for XP?

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
Not sure why you would bring this to a forum. Just Google "RPG MAKER XP Spriting Tutorials", or "Pixel Art Tutorials". In a search engine spanning the whole internet, there's bound to be something out there.

herp derp
Rep:
Level 81
Newclear Bomb
Tried that. For some reason all the ones i saw were for exporting and editing sprites. I want to make one from scratch

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
there's no easy way to do it...

The only way I can think of is to make a color palette to choose from, then start drawing, one pixel at a time.

The first step is creating an outline in the appropriate color (in VX, for example, there is no outline, but in some commercially made sprites, a dark grey outline is used)

then, start with shadows or highlights (at your own preference... I like starting with highlights and going to shadows, myself) and fill in all the colors appropriately. Then, find out where you want your light source from, and start to shade your sprite off of your palette accordingly.
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 87
Would you like me to help you learn how? I'll give you a quick "Teaching" session, if you'd like.

herp derp
Rep:
Level 81
Newclear Bomb
That sounds great Redwyn. I'll take ya up on that offer

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
Open up paint

????

sprites
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

herp derp
Rep:
Level 81
Newclear Bomb
Yes well....uhhh....what?
Paint + Spriting = Crap
Use Paint.NET or Gimp or Photoshop

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
No. Paint is perhaps the best tool you can use under photoshop tbh.

herp derp
Rep:
Level 81
Newclear Bomb
Maybe its just me. Everything I ever tried to draw in Paint looked bad, like a three year olds coloring book

Rep:
Level 98
Don't sit there and like, freehand it all over. Zoom in, use the pencil tool and do it slowly.

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Project of the Month winner for April 2008
Would you like me to help you learn how? I'll give you a quick "Teaching" session, if you'd like.
^ This post seriously gave me the wrong impression.

But on the topic, spriting ain't easy, and if you don't even have self-confidence then you'll never be able to produce everything, most spriters always starts by simply editing & recoloring existing sprites to get a hold on how it works, then they jump to making their own templates from scratch, others . . . . are born with the talent to do so.

What I'm saying is stop been negative and play around with paint and read tutorials even if it's regarding editing existing sprites since it technically is part of the process and there are tutorials teaching how to sprite correctly.

herp derp
Rep:
Level 81
Newclear Bomb
If being honest means being negative, then im gonna keep on
Anyway, of course its not easy, and, what gave you the impression of no self-confidence?
Do you think i have never just messed around with the shop and attempted some edits? Im not really asking for a step by step complete tutorial on how to be a pro, just a simple tutorial covering some basics

--You had the complete wrong impression--

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
Maybe its just me. Everything I ever tried to draw in Paint looked bad, like a three year olds coloring book

this post is what people took as a low confidence thing.

The negativity comment was in regards to how, even though we gave you very good advice, you declined this simple suggestion and said that Paint was crap and that it wasn't good for spriting, despite some seasoned spriters working only with paint.

The point is, although there are some programs that work better, it is in the beginning spriter's best interest to start with paint, and draw each sprite individually (as opposed to Gimp, which copies your pics across the board, I think), that way, you get much more time working on sprites and becoming better.

I would say that if you can only draw the equivilant of a kid's coloring book in paint, you need to start with editing sprites. I never read a tutorial, but can make very nice sprites if I am so inclined, simply because I learned how to edit sprites before I attempted customs.

Just give it a shot, and soon, you will realize that making sprites from scratch isn't all that hard.... Also, working from a template ensures, if nothing else, that a pattern is maintained.

That may not seem important, but trust me, if there isn't a pattern, you sprites will look out of place, unless, of course, they are all custom.

Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.