RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Uploading Maps

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
Hey, im new here. I came to this forum to look for help of more experienced people.
I hope you can help me  ;)  (and, if i can, ill help you too, even tho im just a n00b at rpg maker)

Well, here it goes:
I'm makin a game with my girl, and we decided that she would do the maps. In her comp, at her house.
However, i cant find a way to upload the maps she made to "my" game, on my comp, at my house.
Is there a way to do it?

Thanks in advance  :)

Rep:
Level 87
You can copy the tileset database and maps through a copy of the project. Of course with any tilesets and autotile graphics with them. And there you go.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
sendspace.com
megaupload.com

etc.

All she needs to do is upload the maps from her project's data folder. She could compress them to .rar or .zip and then upload the file using some uploading website. Then you just download them and open the file and place those map files into your data folder.

VX contains all the maps in one file, but XP makes a new file for each map, which is easier to import certain maps. If you have any more trouble or questions, let us know.

Also, instead of uploading the files, especially if she's RIGHT THERE, just grab a flash drive/jump drive and put the files on that, then just move it to your computer.

i dont mean the tilesets... its like, we have the same tilesets and stuff. but she made a few scenarios, with the tilesets, and i cant use them in my game.

is it possible to use a place/map/town/whatever from another game/project in mine's if i have the tilesets used for its creation?

Rep:
Level 87
Yes, you just simply copy the map from one project and paste it into another. That's what we've posted.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
If she's using a custom tileset and you do not have that same one, then you'll get a really funky looking map if you use a different tileset. If you don't have the same tileset, get it, then import into the resource editor and set the maps that USE that tileset with that tileset. You can set what maps use what tilesets by right clicking on the map, clicking on map properties, then selecting the tileset from the drop down menu in there. Also, custom tilesets require some setting up with passability and priority.

Though as I said before, you just need to import or copy/paste the Maps from her data folder into your data folder.

i've tried the copy/paste thing, but when i copy a map from her folder and paste it in my folder, and when i open the RMXP, the map is not in the list.... i wonder if im doin something wrong.... :S

[EDIT] We have the same tilesets, thats not the prob. :/ its the map itself, i wont show up in the map selection screen
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 10:41:58 PM by Darthseth »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Make sure you don't have any maps that share the same name.

Also, I'm not positive, but you may need to include the 'MapInfos' file from her data folder as well, though I think that just includes the information for the events occurring in those maps. Even so, you may want that file anyway, however, it'll over write the one in your folder since there is only one.

ye, i tried that. like, my last map name was map38
i named her map map39
and with matching map ID numbers.. its strange. have you tried uploading a map made my some1 else?

[EDIT] if i overwrite map info, ill lose events on other maps created by me... :l

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Attach the file in a post of one of your maps, or upload it someplace and supply me the link. I'll try to get it to work. If there's a problem I'll let you know. If not, I'll tell you what I did.

Ok. i'll do that. what site do i use to upload it anyway?
Thanks by the way

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Check one of my top posts in here, I linked a couple places you can use for free to upload files.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
One idea is for both of you to get a dropbox account. That way, you can each mess around with it on your own computers, save it, and the changes are saved for both of you. However, you will need to work out a system so that you're not both working on it at the same time, as I do not know what would happen then.

Rep:
Level 86
Bringer of chaos!
you could always just send the whole project.. it might take a little longer or take a bit more space.. but it should work.