RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Skills Help

Rep:
Level 87
So I want to make my game so when you equip and orb, you can use a skill that's attached to that orb, and when it's unequipped, you lose the skill.  I thought this would be pretty easy, and this is what I did:

Made a common event that had a conditional branch.  If the orb was equipped, it would change skills and give you the spell. if the orb was not equipped, it would remove the spell. so i got the orb, and i made sure i didnt have the skill, and i equipped it. Nothing. i didnt learn the skill. (note that the event was on paralell process.)

so I did the same thing, only i made the event on the map, and i talked to it. when it's triggered by the action key, it works.

can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong? Thanks =) ???

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
common events have to be called for them to actually do something i think(havent used them much myself) its on the first page of event commands :D. try using that if not theres always a few scripts that do similar things. heres one i found:

http://hbgames.org/forums/index.php?topic=2561.0

Rep:
Level 87
I'll try the calling thing and see if that works. The only problem is I want it to happen automatically. but now that you mention that, i think I have an idea...and that script may work perfectly, thanks!

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
hmm... i could always write a script for a common event that gets called on every map/screen. let me know if you need it

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
No, no, no you guys are making this more complicated than it should be.  You got the right idea, Imperfectclone.

Make the parallel process common event.  But notice that when you make it, there is a condition box that requires a switch to be on.  All you have to do is make an event on your initial map that turns that switch on and calls the common event.

Thats it.
}:-)>

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
the user did this
Made a common event that had a conditional branch.  If the orb was equipped

your idea would work however it would be a bit laggy checking for stuff like this every time. I could add a few lines to the equip script to check for equipment changes.. hmmm

Nah, its not so bad, I have a couple of common events that constantly check if a button is pressed and then when it is released.  It doesn't really lag.

Rep:
Level 87
I'll try the switch thing and see if that works, although I really don't want it to slow down like anchovy mentioned.

anchovy, if the script would be an easy one, that would be awesome, but I don't want to make you do any unnecessary  work.

edit-the switch thing didnt work.  *sigh*
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 08:36:57 PM by imperfectclone19 »

Rep:
Level 86
Yeah... about that.....
This works.  You have to exit then re-enter the menu.
This is a signature.

Rep:
Level 87
That does work, but is there somehow you can make it so you don't have to leave the map? like it triggers an event when you equip it, or calls a global event? 

Of course the switch method works, you probably just made a mistake.  Most likely you forgot to set the event that turns on the switch to Autorun and left it as Action button.

Attached is this very simple concept at work.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 01:01:15 AM by Static_J »

Rep:
Level 87
that works! But if there's a lot of skill's that will still slow down the game a lot if they're on every map...Is it possible to make a script that just auto starts specific global events?

Rep:
Level 86
Yeah... about that.....
Just FYI, on mine, you don't leave the map.  You exit the menu, then go back into the menu.

I'm not sure what you're asking.  If it's about the common event, then it works on every map as long as that switch is on.

You can put the skills and equip all in the same common event, like on my example.
This is a signature.

Rep:
Level 87
oh wow, you're completely right! Thank's so much, this was a really big help!!