RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Calling all Guitarists!

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
ok, so my Squier Stagemaster is old, and is in need of a lot of work.  However, to fix up this basic guitar, I might as well buy a new one.  (the action is messed up/too high, the pickups need work, etc...)  SO I'm looking into 'em.

But I'm torn.
Should I go with the sexy classic Les Paul, or the lighter SG?

post some actual info here if you can, I want more than 'the LP is sexier than the SG'.

I like them both, and they both have beautiful sounds that would be perfect for my style (heavy rock/metal).  But I need some pros and cons here, to make a decision
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 12:08:03 AM by Anski »

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
Les Paul is sexier than the SG

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
haha funny sword, taking the obvious joke in an effort to play it safe and get a laugh.

I'm being serious

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
price range would help.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
well, the store I am going to down near the mall sells LP styled guitars and SG styled guitars (same style, same sound, just not 'name brand') for around $300-$400.

price isn't really an issue at this point.

ps: they are great quality guitars, I've messed around with a few of 'em to see for myself.

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
haha funny sword, taking the obvious joke in an effort to play it safe and get a laugh.

I'm being serious
I am too, the SG is kinda dumb looking in my opinion, and the les paul is all curvy oh baby I want to touch it

Also my friend has a knockoff les paul and it sounds/looks awesome.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
yeah, I know the LP is drop dead gorgeous and has a great sound, that's why I'm considering it.  I wanna hear some kind of comparisons, maybe some ideas of what to look out for, advice, etc...

Rep:
Level 97
yeah, I know the LP is drop dead gorgeous and has a great sound, that's why I'm considering it.  I wanna hear some kind of comparisons, maybe some ideas of what to look out for, advice, etc...

The treble/rhythm switch is a little out there so if you want to some Tom Morello shit, good luck with that. That's really all I can think of, great sound, great look, good space between the strings, the whammy bar (if you have one) is a bit far away but you get used to it. It's a good guitar I recommend you get the Les Paul. 

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I'm not much into the whammy bar myself.

yeah, I love the tone of 'em both, that's why this is so hard.  The Les Paul sounds more open almost.

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Take both guitars, and balance them against a couch.

Whichever one falls over first fails.

If they both fall over, find a different couch. Your COUCH fails.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Take both guitars, and balance them against a couch.

Whichever one falls over first fails.

If they both fall over, find a different couch. Your COUCH fails.

you're not funny

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Yes, but i PRETEND that i am.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
Guitarists*
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
Les Paul, my brother has one...it's amazing, sound and look.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
ok so...anyone got any info on the SG to compare?

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki

My brother has an SG too, but I like his les paul....

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
Fixed your title because it was bothering me
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 97
Honestly as long as you aren't going to be running around while playing this guitar I would say get a Les Paul 10 times over. SG's are ugly and gross.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast

My brother has an SG too, but I like his les paul....

that was...so wonderfully informative

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Power chords won't sound much different between guitars anyway, so don't worry about it =P

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
hey, I don't just play powerchords >:I

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Well, I only know that i would personally choose the SG. I think i'm the only one here who would, actually o.o;.

Except possibly Nouman...

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
from waht I've read and seen, the LP seems more versatile, while the SG is more geared towards heavy stuff.

I'll probably get the LP on the grounds of versatility and sexiness.

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Okay, well glad you made your decision :O

Rep:
Level 85
In my playing experience, the SG seems more suited for a thicker tone and faster action, while the LP provides a brighter, punchier tone with a solid feel to it.

So when you break it down, SG = rhythm, LP = lead. That's only my opinion though.
yes!