RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
change the way characters are imported

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
character importing change

summary
I'd like character files to be able to be imported differently then the way they are now.  I'd like each frame of a characters walking animation to be able to be a different size then the rest, as well as be able to move "off center" from the other frames.

Features Desired
-right now character files need each animation frame to be the same exact pixel width and height.  I'd like this changed so each frame can be whatever size I want.

-right now each frame is centered when they're animated.  This prevents any frame from creating a "bobbing" motion when a characters walking.  I'd like it so each frame doesn't have to be centered exactly.

-if either of those descriptions are confusing (i'm sure at least the second one is) think of having the walking animations imported and set up the same way as the spell animations.  that's exactly what I'd like.

I don't think there's anything I could show that would be a good visual example..

I also can't name any games this has been in, because honestly I don't believe any other game had a similar restriction as this.

I've searched:
-this site (rmrk.net)
-rpgrevolution.com
-creationasylum.net
-rpgmakervx.net
google.com

Search terms
importing
character
animations
walking
etc.

I'm also looking for someone who can create me scripts for money.  I can't really put this in project recruitment as they would simply be a scripter I'm paying, not part of any team.

Thanks!

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I don't think you're correct in your characterization of how a character file is animated.

Frames do need to be the same width and height, but that only makes sense. Otherwise you would need to have a way to specify the size and height of each frame of the character graphic, which would be a ridiculous requirement of customization. The way it is set up does not prohibit you from creating a bobbing motion though. Just make the frames the largest you will possibly need, then you can place the character graphic wherever you wish within that frame. While the frame will be centred, that does not mean you can't move the character around within the frame.

I think the answer to your request lies in playing around with the sprites in a graphic editor, not with a script.

Maybe I'm completely mistaken about the way the characters are loaded.  Basically what I'm asking for is a way to import characters, where each frame can have different pixel dimensions.  For example, the first frame of the walk animation might have the sprite be 35*25 pixels and the second frame could have the sprite be 38*23 pixels.  Is that at all possible?

Thanks for taking the time to reply, right now this is the biggest hurdle for my game.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
I feel like you're looking for a lazy way out, when you should be formatting your character sheets the correct way and not be so lazy.

Find the largest ass image you have in all 12 frames, then format the rest of the frames to the same dimensions as that frame.
IE: If frame 5 is 40x25 PX, then make every single frame equal 40x25 PX. Then align each image inside the frames correctly so that you're left with a smooth animation.

I don't know if you know this or not, I'm assuming you don't, but as long as every frame is the same dimensions, the program will cut it up evenly into 3 columns and 4 rows (given that you name the file with a $ at the beginning). This means you can have basically any frame size as long as they're all the same.

It's not about being lazy unfortunately.  Rather, I'm using custom characters that wouldn't work so well if each frame were the same size.  I know how everything is supposed to be set up and I understand the program pretty much does all the work for me.  As an example I'll attach one of the monsters walking set I'd be using as an example (though this one could probably be made to fit the requirements I'm trying to avoid).

I'm wondering if I can use the transparent color to my advantage.  For example, use one color to make each frame the same size but then get rid of that color by selecting it as the transparent one.  The problem is then the background color all the sprites are on would still be there :P

Anyway, from what I gathered this would either be too complicated or too much of a pain to script.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
That would be a bad example to post, considering that's an easy fix.

My attachment is what I'm talking about. The frame sizes are massive, but it still plays as a normal animation just fine. Some of the images in the frames are obviously smaller than the frame itself, but what's important is that all the frames are the largest to contain all images in all frames.

Oh, I see what you're saying. I guess I've been looking at the files all wrong. I was thinking each sprite had to be the same size.

Thanks very much for the patiance, that really helped :)