RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Can You Make An Item Call an event when equipped?

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
Trying to make a 'Genji Glove' style accessory. When equipped, I want it to call an event (or perhaps better, flip a switch) that will activate a script that enables two_swords_style for them. Also, if its possible to make the event/switch turn off when its unequipped, that would be appreciated as well.

;~; Its really hard to use the 'search' function for this specific sort of thing, so sorry if this is already somewhere else, but I couldn't find it!

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
No, you can't really call an event just from having equipped an accessory, sorry.

I believe that there exists a script for this sort of thing somewhere though. I'm not positive.

If you want, one thing I could do would be to write a script that you can attach Two Swords Style to a state, and then have the equipment call that state.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
You can have items that do certain things when equipped, but nothing like how you want your genji gloves. You can't normally just event going from single handed to two handed style. If you wanted equipment to do something else like give you a status increase or something or IDK, whatever, you can make a common event on parallel process and a conditional checking if players have X equipment equipped, if so then something happens (make sure you stop it or it'll repeat) then same thing for if not. But as MA says, you'd need a script for the style change and I'm sure I've seen something similar as well.

No, you can't really call an event just from having equipped an accessory, sorry.

I believe that there exists a script for this sort of thing somewhere though. I'm not positive.

If you want, one thing I could do would be to write a script that you can attach Two Swords Style to a state, and then have the equipment call that state.

That would be excellent. I have plenty of autostate scripts, so if I could key Twin-Sword Style to a state, I could just make the Genji Gloves auto-award its user the 'Genji Glove Buff', allowing the recipient to equip two weapons.

If you take the time to do this for lil' ol' me... I mean, wow... my firstborn is as good as yours, MA.  ;D

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
You can have items that do certain things when equipped, but nothing like how you want your genji gloves. You can't normally just event going from single handed to two handed style. If you wanted equipment to do something else like give you a status increase or something or IDK, whatever, you can make a common event on parallel process and a conditional checking if players have X equipment equipped, if so then something happens (make sure you stop it or it'll repeat) then same thing for if not. But as MA says, you'd need a script for the style change and I'm sure I've seen something similar as well.

Yeah, the only problem is it's inconvenient to do that even for things you can do it for, simply because it's not instant. Even if it were something that could be done, like a status boost, you'd have to leave the menu before the changes would show up. In this case, even if you had an Editable Actor Options script, you'd have to equip the item, then leave the menu altogether, reopen the menu and reopen equip even just to start equipping again. The method you mention really only works well for equipment that doesn't alter anything that shows up in the menu.

Maybe I should write a script that allows common events to run certain commands from inside a scene.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 04:02:17 AM by modern algebra »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
I was just saying he could, didn't recommend it.

Yeah, the only problem is it's inconvenient to do that even for things you can do it for, simply because it's not instant. Even if it were something that could be done, like a status boost, you'd have to leave the menu before the changes would show up. In this case, even if you had an Editable Actor Options script, you'd have to equip the item, then leave the menu altogether, reopen the menu and reopen equip even just to start equipping again. The method you mention really only works well for equipment that doesn't alter anything that shows up in the menu.

Maybe I should write a script that allows common events to run certain commands from inside a scene.

=) Thanks for moving this, MA.