RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Selling

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
What if it snowed in San Francisco?
Is it legal to sell a game made with RPG Maker XP?
Current project:
Chaos Angelix - ~5% complete

Rep:
Level 88
I'm back :P
ummmm no. atleast i dont think so, unless every single thing you use is yours

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Yes.

BUT!

To do this you need-
1. A paid for legal version of RPGmaker (you can only get a legal XP)
2. Either all rtp or rtp and some of your stuff (if you have other people stuff you have to credit them)
3. Nothing from any other games..
4. It can't be a fan game (rule 3)
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 88
A good eventer and story creator.
It could be a fan game...but you'd need explicit permission from those who own the copyrights. Quite nasty.

You could perhaps buy the RTP info from the makers of it. Art work as said, would need to be credited profusely, at both the start and end of the game. (Just checking up on random Copyright laws here)

Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
My family is full of solicitors. It in most cases would be. But, I doubt anything would come from it. The chances of some small time guy suing is small and if you haven’t stolen for SQ.S or the such it shouldn't be an issue. BUT I wouldn't pay for a home made RPG

Rep:
Level 88
Your greatest flaw is that you have a soul.
Hm, wait.

I have RPG Maker XP Postality Knights Edition. [Downloaded from some site such as this]

Is this legal (as if copyrighted), ilegal (as if ripped off) or none (as if fan-based)?

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
PK edition is illegal since a legal English edition has been released.

And, for once, BOE is pretty much right. =0

Also, I remember a long time ago, there was a member here who went to Japan, and said video game stores sold RPG Maker games, but they were only selling for $5 or less, and apparently, very few were ever sold. Don't expect to hit it big with your RM games.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 88
A good eventer and story creator.
You could possibly get around selling the game by just selling your time and effort putting it together etc.

What tends to be workable, is that you can create games and charge for updates (much like most places, what you do is create your first game, and then have updates automatically install upon download and you should just be able to transfer the save file.)

However, some people charge membership fee's after creating MMORPG's...bit like Runescape.

But that's just a slight suggestion, and the most profitable, however, not sure about legalities.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 88
Your greatest flaw is that you have a soul.
You can also suggest your game to game studios, under condition you did extremly brutal game (in quality). It would not be a first time for a local geek (jk) to offer a game or a script and gain access to game developement team. With everything already done in the game, it would be a matter of time before they, with you, redo the game to fit, for example, PC standards and "oh", imagine the possibilities with ultimate software and hardware and hundred people working on it. Heh heh. Perhaps it may seem impossible but I do know people who "succeded" this way. Originality and extreme level of effort..oh well, and inspiration, is all you need.

Rep:
Level 88
Random-Idiot
Aveyond, Number #1 Non-Free RMXP game has won the first price Best RPG 2006 : Sound and was secopnd in Best RRP 2006 : Overall. There are really much copy's sold, so you can make profit out of it. But here are some rules:

-If you use the RTP, and that includes the scripts, audio AND graphics, you may only sell your game if it is a RMXP Game.
-If you use content ingame that was not made by you, you have to follow the guidlines of the licenses on that content. This includes Graphics, Scripts and Audio. For example, some content can only be used if an credit is displayed, and for others you need to pay a fee or a set amount to use it in a game you will sell. ( so you can't sell a pokemon game without asking nintendo etc..)
-All other rules for selling products need to be applied.
ALL HAIL ME™

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Lol, who would buy something made from RPG maker?

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
I move that no one should ever make a topic involving selling RM projects again. Seriously, this stuff agrivates me.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero

Rep:
Level 88
Random-Idiot
Lol, who would buy something made from RPG maker?

Actually Alot of people did.
ALL HAIL ME™

Rep:
Level 88
12,000 people it seems.