RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Need help for a 'must-lose' battle

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
*waves*

I'm a noob when it comes to the RPG Maker, having only discovered it a few days ago. I've been lurking for a while, but I haven't seen anyone ask a question similar to mine so I signed up to ask...

I'm working on an intro scene on RPGM '03. In it, the hero runs towards the villain to stop him from destroying a special 'magic' tree the hero worships. This initiates a boss fight you're not meant to win (in fact, the villain kills the hero before the ATB bar fills up once). The battle is meant as a cutscene, but I can't stop it from leading to the Game Over screen.

So my question is: how can I make a 'must-lose' battle which doesn't lead to the Game Over screen?

Also, how can I slow down the different part to an event? I want the villain to walk up to the 'magic' tree and cast a spell on it, but he ends up casting the spell while walking towards the tree.

Thanks in advance. :)

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Too easy ^.~

For the first, make an event, click enemy encounter, in the "Defeat Handler" area click the "Execute custom handler" point.

For the second, you must insert a "wait" after the walking command for how ever many seconds it takes to walk to the tree.

For the first, make an event, click enemy encounter, in the "Defeat Handler" area click the "Execute custom handler" point.
I've gotten that far already.

It says on the Event Commands box:

<> Enemy Encounter: Normal
    : Victory Handler
     <>
    : Defeat Handler
     <>
    : End

I'm sure I'm supposed to put something under Defeat Handler, but I don't know what. :-\

And thanks for clearing up the second problem. :)

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Put nothing under victory handler, and your normal, story continuing commands in the defeat handler.

Was that what you where doing?? If it is, let me open my copy of 2oo3, which I haven't done in a while and check it out...

Ahah, I figured out what I was doing wrong. I did this:

<> Enemy Encounter: Normal
    : Victory Handler
     <>
    : Defeat Handler
     <>
<> Message: Bla bla bla
<> Message: Blabbitty bla
<> Move Event: Bla bla bla

I didn't realise I was supposed to put all the following commands under the Defeat Handler.

Which brings me to the last of my noobish questions (for now, at the very least): How do I stop my event from repeating itself? I mean, I want it to happen only once, but it happens every time I enter the area the cutscene is in. Is there some sort of precondition I need to set?

EDIT: My last question (and this is the last): How do I change my character's walking speed? After the cutscene, he starts walking about 2x faster than normal...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 01:31:07 PM by King Wing »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Well, if you're never returning to the area you can erase event if that command is in 2k3. The best way to do it is to turn on a switch, then make a new page and condition it on that switch.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Another way to stop the event from looping in more detail is;

In event, the first command is "Conditional Branch" if switch "XXX" is OFF.

In the handler (that will now be on the event table) "Branch if XXX switch is off", put in your entire cut scene, and add to the end of it, "Move Event- Turn on switch XXX" and "Erase event".

The event will now never repeat.

As to the speed thing: That's the normal speed of the hero, it was only slower because of the event in which he was moved told him to move slower then normal walk speed. To my knowledge you can't change the hero walk speed outside of events.

I formatted my table like so:

<> Branch if Switch [0001] is OFF
  <>
: Else Handler
{{Cutscene}}
  <> Move Event: Villain, Switch ON
  <> Erase Event
  <>

But it just froze up. :(

As for the speed... When I played the game before initiating the cutscene, the Hero walked at an normal pace. I tested the speed after the cutscene and he was running at least twice as fast. I think the event is effecting the walk speed somehow...? :-/

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
<> Branch if Switch [0001] is OFF
  <>{{Cutscene}}
  <> Move Event: Villain, Switch ON[Make sure this is turning on switch 0001]
  <> Erase Event
: Else Handler

<>

This is how it should look.

As for the speed, uhhh I'm not too sure, it's 2am here and I'm quite sleepy... If I think of what's going on, I'll post it up.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 04:03:11 PM by Deliciously_Saucy »

Arh, this thing refuses to run properly. I'm following everything you say, but it's just not working.

I've fixed it temporarily, so that the first thing that happens in the game is a girl gives you a custom one-of-a-kind item. I made it so that the item is a prerequisite for the event, and I also made it so that the villain steals the item during the cutscene. The cutscene's not repeating itself any more, but I feel the solution is a bit unsatisfactory.

That, and the walk speed is still screwed up.

Rep:
Level 89
Let's attack agressively.
??? well if you could post the event here, ill be easier to me to fix it....

I would've posted the event earlier but first my computer kept freezing up and now Imageshack isn't loading.

Rep:
Level 89
Let's attack agressively.
I would've posted the event earlier but first my computer kept freezing up and now Imageshack isn't loading.

hmmm....well ill just keep waiting.... ;)

Rep:
Level 87
Moo at me and I'll stab you...
   For the speed thing, check all of your move commands for both the villain and the hero and any other event you moved. If you used an "increase move speed" somewhere then make sure it's paired up with a "decrease move speed" somewhere after it. That's the only thing that I can think of that will make your character go Speedy Gonzales like that (I did the opposite once and turned my hero into a sloth.)
I wore my cat ears and my cat tail to a minor league baseball game. While we were there, my mom looked at me, sighed, and said to my dad, "She's gonna be on 'Girls Gone Wild' one of these days..." ;D

Funny thing, I figured out how to fix the speed a few minutes before I read your post. Thanks anyway. :D

I signed up to photobucket and got some screenshots up:

Spoiler for:

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
For the second, you must insert a "wait" after the walking command for how ever many seconds it takes to walk to the tree.

Why not just use "proceed with movement"?

« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 07:46:33 AM by BanisherOfEden »
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The switch that turns on has to be the same switch you have in the fork condition. The one you named. Is it the same one?
Yeah, it is.