RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Request]Keyboard Variable Edit Script

Rep:
Level 84
It's human to misdo
Edit variable with keyboard Script
5 Jan 2010

Summary
I'm working on some kind of computer hacking system.
There will be two different types of hacking. The first I've promised help with but the second i need help with.
It is supposed to be a system where you get in a menu, where you will be able to write a code with your keyboard.
Then when you hit ENTER it will save whatever was written into a variable and then trigger a common event and then
it will make the player able to write in a new command. It will loop until the player writes "system.close" or something.
The common event will be no problem I believe, but it is the script I need help with.
Oh, and of course there will be help in how the code is written. It won't be very hard.

Features Desired
  • Set a variable into whatever was written in the field
  • Another field above that shows what was recently written and what the "computer" answers.
  • Easy to find where in the code the fields is so I can change places, perhaps.
  • Easy to make the script write something in the above field from the common event.
    Like this: $game_system.computer = "<<Whatever I want written here>>"

Mockups

As you can see I want it quite like a batch script.

Games its been in
I don't recall any game that it has been in right now...

Did you search?
Well, yea. Sort of. Modern Algebra said to me a time ago that it was impossible in RMXP to make such fields,
(But if it is, how can then you write in a filename in the Tileset Creator project?) so I didn't search very long.

Where did you search?
  • RMRK
  • HBGames.org
  • Google
  • Yahoo
  • And other search engines

What did you search for?
  • rpg maker xp keyboard variable change
  • rmxp keyboard variable change

Edit: Oh, and this is what I want the common event to look like.
Of course not exact because I don't know if the scripts is right but, yea.

@>Comment: Check what was written in the computer.
@>Conditional Branch: Script: $game_variables[1] = system.close
    @>Script: $scene =Scene_Map.new
    @>
  :  Branch End
@>Conditional Branch: Script: $game_variables[1] = search test.txt
    @>Script: $game_system.computer = "Searching
     :           : file..."
    @>
  :  Branch End
@>
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:52:53 AM by stripe103 »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I don't remember saying anything like that; if I did, then I was wrong. I don't think this script would be overly difficult, but I don't think I will take the request.

Rep:
Level 84
It's human to misdo
Well it wasn't exactly that:
This is really good.
I wish there was this kind of script for XP
There aren't any note fields in XP :P

Also... This isn't possible to do in only events, or is it?

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Oh, ok - that's true. What I was referring to was the note field in the database - actors, items, states, etc.. all have note field that allow the game creator to write stuff in. That's not this.

Anyway, it is possible to do in events, but it would be ugly and inefficient. You'd have to use picture eventing, and since there isn't full keyboard input by default you would need to get that script or else use Name input. The best way to do this type of system is with a script, as far as I'm concerned.

Rep:
Level 84
It's human to misdo
Ok, thanks for the answer. Then I'll just have to wait for anyone to take this request.
I believe that there are quite a lot that want this kind of script so I think that it would be worth making.
To bad that I don't are good with scripts. All I can do is like edit some easier things.

Rep:
Level 84
It's human to misdo