RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RESOLVED] Limit Inventory & Custom Inventory Menu

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Limit Inventory
November 21, 2008

Summary

Basically, I want the average inventory menu to be revamped and make it so that a player can only carry a limited stock. [There are banks in my game...]

Features Desired
  • Able to set a custom LIMIT to the player's inventory.
  • Clearly shows the number of empty inventory slots left in the upper right corner with the bitmap image.
  • Leaves an empty area visually specifying the empty slots left in your inventory.
  • The empty slots being able to be cursored over.
  • Able to have certain items be stackable.
  • Able to use a call script or similar in-game to change a player's inventory limit.
  • Armor, Weapons, Accessories, etc. all attribute to filling the inventory spaces unless equipped. If the inventory is full, the player cannot unequip anything until the player has an inventory slot open.
  • Able to discard items from your inventory (rendering it gone forever (or not if that's possible, like being able to re-pick up items you drop like in Baldur's Gate...))
  • A sub-window that appears if you pick up an item or are given an item and your inventory is full so that you are able to choose between dropping the newly acquired items or dropping items within your inventory to make space for the new items.
  • Additionally to the condition above this, have an option to make some items not discard-able (like quest items), however making it possible to turn this on and off (so that you can deposit them in banks and such.)
Mockups

I took the time to cleanly show exactly how I want it to look when it's finished.
Note that certain items are stackable like the 'Bomb' item in this window.

Games its been in

I don't know. Just whatever has a limited inventory I suppose.

Did you search?
Yes.

Where did you search?
  • Here
  • RRR
  • RPGMVX
  • Google

What did you search for?
  • Limit inventory
  • Small inventory
  • Limit stock
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 10:51:31 PM by grafikal009 »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I like the idea. Unfortunately, I have my hands full with school and what time I have to script is taken up. I am sorry.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
No problem, I completely understand.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
That's more of a bounce than a bump.

Anyway, a couple questions:

Are you supposed to be able to discard any item in the inventory?
If the inventory is full, and you get an item, do you want it to go to the inventory and allow you to choose what to throw away?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Why have I not even mentioned that ._. 

lol

Yeah. I had thought about that just the other day, like perhaps you have a full inventory and a quest giver happens to want to give you something, what do you do?

So, yes to both questions. Discarding items would be extremely helpful come to think of it, and if the inventory is full it would be AWESOME if you'd had the option to decide whether to toss that item or another within you inventory.

Rep:
Level 86
This sounds like a worthwhile idea, and I wouldn't mind having that in my game (as I see you also have wood and ores, so do I!) So, since I would like to know the answer to this whenever anyone has a chance... Bump?

I'm just starting to learn new stuff.... been searching myself for clues on how to do other things I want in my game,

"Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to."

OK, so what's the speed of dark?
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Since there's a duck-billed platapus, is there just a plain platapus? If so... what does that look like?

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
That one guy in that one place.
I know this is a bit of a necropost, but this would be kinda nice to see...
Hmm.... rm2k isn't compatible with vista? Looks like I'll go to rmvx... Scripting?
Oh sweet, I get to add new stuff! OH DEAR GOD! *head explodes*
CLICKY!
MyMiniCity

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
np about the necro, as long as i'm active, my request still stands lol.

Rep:
Level 97
hmm, I think I will do this. At least it's worth trying. I'm very slow when it comes to making scenes though.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
oh my balls. i love you ma. lol. i'm also just going to go ahead and modify my first post with slight modifications, mostly just adding the stuff that was written in posts below the first.

Rep:
Level 97
Alright, well here's what I have so far. The slots are big in the first one because I added a feature where the height of them would be between WLH (by default 24) and 32 depending on the maximum number of slots in the inventory. So, when there are 26 and above slots, it will only be 24 height and the window will start scrolling, but if there are only 16, they will be 32 height since it looked kind of silly when there was a lot of empty space.

Anyway, that's pretty much it for the graphical modifications. I will work on the scene functionality tomorrow (such as choosing to discard items or exchange with loot, etc... It autosorts by the way, is that OK?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Alright, well here's what I have so far. The slots are big in the first one because I added a feature where the height of them would be between WLH (by default 24) and 32 depending on the maximum number of slots in the inventory. So, when there are 26 and above slots, it will only be 24 height and the window will start scrolling, but if there are only 16, they will be 32 height since it looked kind of silly when there was a lot of empty space.

That's an awesome modification. Thanks so much.

Rep:
Level 97
OK, done.

http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,32918.0.html

I suspect there are probably bugs. If you find any, just post in the topic and I will try to fix them.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I LOVE YOU MA. Also, I'm soon going to post up a few things I've been working on for the XPer's out there :)