RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Mapping Tutorial: Post Town.

If Ham didn't taste like Ham, I would hope it tasted like turkey
Rep:
Level 88
>:O
This is an answer to a request for an RTP Post Town tutorial.

Here we go.

I made my map 50x50

Step One:

Fill the first layer with some grass, don't forget to add some darker colored grass, and some dirt.

Spoiler for:

Step Two:

I like to add some water around the town a bit, to help keep it enclosed a bit.

Spoiler for:

Step Three:

Add the basic houses around where you want them.  This might look a little funny to some people, but you'll understand if you read this.
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,9150.0.html

Spoiler for:

Step Four:

Go ahead and finish the houses, and put some trees around to help enclose the town some, and make it more natural.

Spoiler for:

Step Five:

Add some details to the map, and houses.  Give them windows, add some plants and other random stuff around.

Spoiler for:

Step Six:

Add some events, people, animals, smoke, doors.  All that good stuff.

Spoiler for:

And this is what it should look like ingame.

Spoiler for:

*Note* I know I didn't put doors, as this is a special town. :P  Also if they're are mapping errors, or it seems empty, I'm sorry.  I made the map, and tutorial in about 15 minutes. 

As always feedback is appreciated. 

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Nice!!! Only thing I recommend is making the map look a little more "full." Place more flowers and stuff around the town. Other than that, good job!

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
It's a bit empty, and I noticed one mapping error.

Other than that. good job.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
It's a bit empty, and I noticed one mapping error.
Don't be a meanie and just tell him the error so people don't accidentally mess up. X_X

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Okay, don't put a ladder on the wall of a house, unless it looks like it's propped up against it.

;)

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Ah.... It's only in the in-game screenshot. Just move it one square down.

Communication begins with understanding
Rep:
Level 89
Project of the Month winner for October 2007
Like all have said already, the mapping is a little bit empty, but it's a good tutorial.