RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Nice Cave Tutorial

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Nice Cave Tutorial
This tutorial will teach you how to make a good cave.

Required
  • Rpg Maker XP
  • Semi-skilled knowledge in mapping

Cave Floor
Spoiler for:
First, put down the cave floor tile using the flood fill tool. Make sure this is on the 1st layer.

Entrance
Spoiler for:
Make an entrance to the cave. This will be using the cave wall tiles. Make sure this is on the 3rd layer.

Cave Walls
Spoiler for:
Put down the cave walls. Make it look nice and random. It's helpful to plan this out on a sheet of paper or in paint. Caves consist of random pathways leading to different places. Make sure this is on the 3rd layer.

Fill in the blanks
Spoiler for:
Fill in the areas that you shouldn't be able to walk on outside of the cave wall. Use the flood fill tool and make sure it's on the 3rd layer.

Auto Tiles
Spoiler for:
Next, put down cave auto tiles where they seem right. These make your cave look more realistic. Make sure they are on the first layer.

Objects
Spoiler for:
Now, lets place down objects around the cave. Make sure that they fit in.

If you're trying to make a taller object overlap a wall tile you'll end up with this..

It got rid of part of the wall! Don't worry, just go onto the second layer and replace the wall tile.

Light
Spoiler for:
Finally, place down any light tiles next to holes that lead into the day.

Gameplay
Spoiler for:
Here are the final results in gameplay.

Other example of this style
Spoiler for:

Final Notes
  • There are many styles of making caves, this is only one of them.
  • Nature is random. Don't make your caves square.

Credits
  • Me
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 10:53:28 PM by Irockman1 »

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
very nice. but the database has TWO already =[
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
:-\
But this is in a different style. Don't you think there should be different styles of caves to fit peoples taste?

Rep:
Level 88
Now do you know who I am??
Lol, I think this is just a better mapping version, I can't do something that elaborate without ripping my hair out. :P

I personally think it's one of the semi-skilled mappers version.

Rep:
Level 102
Thanks. Didn't I say "semi-skilled"?

• Semi-skilled knowledge in mapping
>_>;

EDIT: I feel honored to be in the Tutorial Database. ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 11:37:11 PM by Irockman1 »

Rep:
Level 87
Is that a pocket dimension? Indeed!
I like this tut, but one question: Why did you put the walls on the third layer and the details on the second layer rather than the other way round? With the details on the second layer, they will be behind the walls instead of in front of them.
I apologize in advance for all spelling errors...

Rep:
Level 102
Because, when they're on the third layer you can put things behind the walls. When you need to put objects in front of the wall you switch layers for that one object.

Rep:
Level 87
Is that a pocket dimension? Indeed!
Ok, that makes sense.
I apologize in advance for all spelling errors...

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
This is a very helpful tut!
Once again, iraockman1, you rock.
Although, I'm actually pretty good with caves...

Rep:
Level 87
Musician & Artist
Thank you....this is great....you managed to teach me something. Love it and will implement it in my next cave.

Treign
Dorman. T Reign

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
Also, you can always use events to place down objects that interfere with other layers.
Because instead of using it on a map layer, if you want the crystal ball thing to work without using a tile, you can just use the graphic and continue with the event normally.