RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
The use of Terrian Tag

Rep:
Level 84
The use of Terrain Tag

Spoiler for:
Have you ever wonder what the Terrain Tag was used for? Well you've come to the right place! This tutorial is best used for making multiple events, as in events with the same...event!

Ok I already created a map, here's a preview
Spoiler for:
Here's the events that's going to happen on these numbers
1- Take damage from stepping on the lava spots  :-[
2- Pick up herbs  :D
3- Fall into a hole  :-X
4- Get yelled at a demon for stepping on his ornate rug  :'(
5- Encounter a battle by exploring the grass field (Like Pokemon, when you explore the tall grass area)  :lol:

Before we start, create a variable. After that, create an event, then go on event commands and select, control variable. On the top, where it says "Single", select your newly created variable. After that, on the "Operand" section, click "Character" and click on the second box(Left to Right), then select Terrain Tag. Once that's over click OK, then change the "Trigger" to "Parallel". Oh and also change the "Encounter" to "Disable".
Oh and change your Terrain numbers exactly like mine. Once you master this, you can make your own style of Terrain Tags!  ;)
Spoiler for:
Spoiler for:
Spoiler for:
Spoiler for:
This will activate all your floor effect needs!  ;D

Create another event, after that create a Event Command, then create a "Conditional Branch". Once that's done, select variable on the Conditional Branch, select your floor effect variable than change the constant to 1.
Spoiler for:

Note) The constant numbers represent the Terrain Tag number if the variable is selected on Terrain Tag. Since the Terrain Tag number goes 1-7, the constant number can only reach 1-7.
Example) Terrain 1 = Constant 1, Terrain 2 = Constant 2, blah blah blah  :P
Note) You must make the character move/transfer him/her out of the Terrain, otherwise the even will spam the poor character to death.  :'(
Note) Always put a "Wait For Move Complete" at the end. This will prevent the event from happening multiple times at once
Example) You take more than 10 damage from stepping on the Terrain once.

Now, copy and paste this 5 times, inside the "else" section, and change the constant by 1s. Make sure your last conditional branch doesn't include a "else" option.
Spoiler for:
This is for the other Terrain Tags.
Now this is optional, you decide what the event is going to occur. I've decided to flash the screen red, for 3 frames, then subtracted the parties HP by 10, after that I set a fire animation on the player. Once the animation is played the character will jump two times, after the first jump, the second jump would take the player away from the lava floor.
Spoiler for:
So whenever the player steps on any Terrain that's numbered 1, He/she will take damage.
This one is fairly simple, and a picture is worth a thousand words, so no explaining needed.  :lol:
Spoiler for:
For the third one, I'm planning to make the character vanish as he/she steps into the hole, then reappear on the spawn point. You can follow this exactly, but you can change it a bit. Such as going to the gameover screen other then reappearing.
Now, create an exclamation animation, to give the player a shock, then change his/her "Opacity" slowly. Not all at once or your result won't get the vanishing illusion. After disappearing, change the fading action to its opposite, or give him/her death...  :-\
Spoiler for:
No need to explain, I bet you people care about Terrain Effect event 5 than any other Terrain Effect event...
Spoiler for:
This section is where the Encounter Disable, you inserted comes to action. Here comes the grand finale!
Spoiler for:
Just enable it
After that, right click your map and go to map properties and add monsters. If you want a rare monster in, change the encounter steps. If you want common monsters and rare monsters. Just spam the box with common monsters. I suggest changing the Encounter Steps below 5. My bad on the picture.  :-X
Spoiler for:
Spoiler for:
There's a premium version of this which includes percentage, but then I discovered way to much bugs...so forget that. Unless you find a way.  :lol:

Download
Spoiler for:

Credits
@ WhyMischievous

If you want me to describe more, by scratch, for the Terrain Tag events(Besides 1 and 5) let me know, I'll be glad to help!  ;D
If your planning to share this to other sites...LET ME KNOW!! Oh and give me credit as well. No copying, pasting, and changing the credits.  :mad:
One more thing, sorry for any grammatical errors, if there is any.  :-X
OPPS, forgot to post this on the Tutorials Database :'(
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 04:14:58 AM by WhyMischievous »

Rep:
Level 88
This one is fairly simple, and a picture is worth a thousand words, so no explaining needed.  :lol:
Spoiler for:

Just a question... Do you play Mabinogi? That sounds very much like herb picking in that damn game, you always fail. :mad:

Anyway, nice tutorial. Great for those who don't know about terrain tags, or for people like me who just never really saw the use of them.

Rep:
Level 84
Yep, I do play Mabinogi, but I wasn't thinking about that when I was writing this.  :o

Rep:
Level 89
Let's attack agressively.
Very nice tutorial.

Great for those who don't know about terrain tags, or for people like me who just never really saw the use of them.

Like me.  :P

Rep:
Level 84
thats a pretty cool tutorial. gave me some ideas. thanks!