RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Can the existence of God(s) be proven or disproven Via religion or otherwise?

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
Randomness doesn't exist.

Rep: +0/-0Level 75
RMRK Newbie
About the concept of matter and that it cannot be created:
Matter can be converted to energy, or reversed.

That is how fission and fusion work. Fission works by colliding 2 atoms to create 1 larger atom whose mass is lower than the total of the 2 reagents. The change in mass is converted to energy in the form of heat that is then used to drive turbines to generate electricity.

The same applies to fusion. How this can work is that the lowest mass/matter-ratio on the table of elements is iron, which has the element mass of 55.8 (compared to 1 for hydrogen or uranium with 238).

This is why the cores of stars (which start as gas clouds, hydrogen etc.) is eventually made of iron. The creation of higher mass/matter-ratio elements are formed from supernovae where the immense amounts of energy start higher mass/matter-fusions. The immense energies also start fissions so more smaller atoms are re-created.

The big bang theory works somewhat like this:
A huge amount of energy and/or matter gathered in the universe, resulting in a colossal explosion (and conversion of energy to mass).

Scientists have noted that all astrological parts are moving away from us, at different velocities, which would indicate that the universe is still expanding.

The theory of continuation I find most believeable is that (because of gravity, although weak and over immense periods of time) in the end, the universe will start to contract and shrink. This would then eventually lead to a new "big bang", after all mass and energy has been gathered again.
This would mean that the universe we live in now could be just one in a series of "big bang" universes.

Also, the formula for gravity between bodies of mass is constant, and exists everywhere. No questions there (from me at least).

Just thought I'd try clear things up with the matter/energy/gravity part for y'all. The theory of continuation-part is just the theory I cling to.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 12:21:30 PM by erenik »

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
If matter is moving in an outward direction with nothing to stop it, while gravity is getting weaker as the space between the matter is constantly growing, why would gravity eventually cause everything to start moving back together?

Rep: +0/-0Level 75
RMRK Newbie
Well there is the theory that the universe will expand forever, of course, too. Might be more believable. :P
No matter what you believe about the continuation though, it's a matter of billions of years, and I think humans will have died out if and when the universe would start shrinking anyway.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
If matter is moving in an outward direction with nothing to stop it, while gravity is getting weaker as the space between the matter is constantly growing, why would gravity eventually cause everything to start moving back together?

Gravity is slowing things down by pulling opposite the direction they are moving.  So the force that is supposed to stop it is gravity, and then when it stops, it's highly likely to move in the direction gravity pulls it.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 76
Noctis divi almam vestram protegant!
Science is the disproving of coincidence. Also, I think you're confusing intelligence for nature. Intelligence is a characteristic ascribed, (by the obvious use of the word,) to a living creature. Gravity, as your example goes, is not a "process in a (sic) intelligent order." Gravity is a natural element of the universe that we reside in. Truthfully, I don't even know why I'm taking the time to type this, since you're obviously either a kid, not very legible, or a non-native English speaker. Elitist Debate has gone down the shitter. There should be an age gate on this board.

I'm 20 years old. Thanks.

If as you say things are not random, then there is still no reason to believe in a god as even if you did everything would still happen, if you prayed to a god or if you didn't life would roll on the same way.

I said that there's no god. I'm not trying to prove something, it's only my rational thinking.
You're a lot influenced by religions. Stop talking about the old bearded man of religion.

erenik
You explained a whole process of ordered cause and consequence. No difference. In a logical thinking, you need a intelligent cause for a intelligent effect. Or the things are random.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 04:01:31 PM by Andarilho »
I try, but my english sucks.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Intelligent seeming things can happen easily happen as a result of random occurrence.

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
But pure random events are only interpreted as random, by "intelligent" Beings such as ourselves. Perhaps said random events are actually part of a pattern.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
But pure random events are only interpreted as random, by "intelligent" Beings such as ourselves. Perhaps said random events are actually part of a pattern.

Or perhaps your perception is flawed and limited and you feel as thought there simply must be a pattern when it is truly random occurrence.

Something seemingly intelligent happens, such as the right chemical composition in the right place, the right distance from the sun, and suddenly it must be intelligent.

It can very well just be random.

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
I understand the reasoning, in hindsight, mainly because the natural law that everything returns to chaos... And if that were true, expecting things to be maintained would be ridiculous, but honestly, I don't buy into that whole chaos notion, and instead believe that everything is constant unless acted upon by an outside force (which is a more commonly accepted belief, at least, where I am)
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
There are too many outside forces for anything to remain constant.

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Perhaps my perception is flawed considering I attributed a lot of stuff to random occurrence in my first post, sorry about that.

Rep:
Level 102
Stop implying randomness exists. Every event is caused by another event, and the future was set the moment anything began to exist. If I threw a dice and it landed on 4, I, along with other elements, caused it to land on 4. If I would have thrown it a slightly different way, it could have landed on another number. If you rewound time and played everything again, it would be the same every time. Technically, everything is predictable.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I won't stop implying randomness exists, because I believe it does.  Yes there is a cause and effect series, of course.  But that doesn't mean that the effect of a cause cannot be random.

Rep:
Level 102
Why would the effect of a cause be random?

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast

Why not?

Rep:
Level 102
Why not?
Because logical thinking says that if the circumstances are exactly the same, the results will be exactly the same every time. There's no reason why randomness would exist.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
"Random" is a matter of perception. If I was walking down the street, and a bird shit on my head, I'd think, "Wow, that was random."
To that bird, though, taking a shit is not a random thing to do.

Rep:
Level 102
It's not random. That would have happened again under the same exact circumstances.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Right, but you're making an assumption that the world is predestined, and there is no such thing as free will. What you're saying is basically, "If that stuff happened again, it would happen again."

Rep:
Level 102
Right, but you're making an assumption that the world is predestined, and there is no such thing as free will. What you're saying is basically, "If that stuff happened again, it would happen again."
I believe that's the logical way to think from what we know and observe. But then again, there are other, seemingly impossible, unexplainable things that make absolutely no sense to me, like consciousness, self-awareness and the idea that at one point, energy (and existence) were randomly(?) created, despite the law of conservation of energy. We just have more of a reason to believe that randomness is nonexistent. It's much more easy to explain why randomness doesn't exist than does.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
But then again, there are other, seemingly impossible, unexplainable things that make absolutely no sense to me, like consciousness, self-awareness and the idea that at one point, energy (and existence) were randomly(?) created, despite the law of conservation of energy.

Oh dear god.

you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I believe that's the logical way to think from what we know and observe. [...] It's much more easy to explain why randomness doesn't exist than does.

Just because it's easier to assume that there is no such thing a random, doesn't mean that it is the right answer. 

I state again that perception is the flawed element in the formula.  The human mind excels in finding patterns and flourishes in an organized environment.  It only then makes sense that it'd be impossible to truly perceive randomness, as we are so entirely focused on patterns and formulae.

Rep:
Level 94
I think you're getting wrapped up in false use of the word "random".

Rep:
Level 102
I believe that's the logical way to think from what we know and observe. [...] It's much more easy to explain why randomness doesn't exist than does.

Just because it's easier to assume that there is no such thing a random, doesn't mean that it is the right answer. 

I state again that perception is the flawed element in the formula.  The human mind excels in finding patterns and flourishes in an organized environment.  It only then makes sense that it'd be impossible to truly perceive randomness, as we are so entirely focused on patterns and formulae.
But it takes an amount of faith to believe something that isn't proven or easily understandable. It seems like a bad argument to make in a thread about the existence of God when it would make much more sense to say things aren't caused by random events, but a standard way of thinking where specific causes make a pre-designated effect occur. Randomness vs creationism is mostly faith vs faith, based on what we know.