RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
The Eraser Doorway

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Here's an interesting concept:

You are out for a walk on a dimly moonlit night, and you somehow stumble upon a magic door. This is a very powerful door, and you have no way of comprehending how it works.

The only way to see what is on the other side of this door is to open it and walk through the doorway.

However, though you would very much like to see what is on the other side, you are hesitant. Why? Well, there's a sign by the door that reads as follows:

"Do not enter. Those who enter this doorway will be forever erased. Everything you have created, all memories of you, and all changes you have made to the universal time line will cease to exist in past, present, and future. You will not die- you will simply vanish entirely from existence."

This is a bold claim- though there is no proof that this is warning holds any truth or value at all.

A man comes up along side of you, and reads the sign just as you have. With a roll of his eyes and a sigh, he says to you, "Watch this", and opens the door.

On the other side, only inky blackness, stretching on to eternity.

The man states that is merely because the light is turned off, and there are no windows.

He motions to step inside...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consider this now: You can disprove the warning if the man steps inside, and then, subsequently, steps out, quite easily.

However...Is there any way to prove that the warning holds true?

That is what I wish to discuss. :)

Rep:
Level 87
There is a very simple way to tell if the warnings hold true.... All you require is a long piece of rope, and a person you dislike. First you tell the person you don't like that they will be able to obtain one thing they wish if they step into the door.... But you have them put on the rope, tie it securely on their waist, and have them go through the door....

You wait a few minutes, and pull on the string. If the rope comes back with nothing... then you have proved that the warnings hold true, if not... Then it is safe to go in.

Rep:
Level 96
     Ah, but if it holds true, they are erased from memory. You would not remember your partner in the experiment, but rather you would notice, for the first time, a rope inside the doorway, the end of which rests in your hands, leaving you quite perplexed. Furthermore, there's a good chance that, if your partner is the one that caused you to return to the door on this occasion, you may end up being in a completely arbitrary place due to the effects of the removal changes to the time stream.

Rep:
Level 87
Ah yeah... Forgot about that. Well, it could erase the memory of the person that went in... But take in account about the other man that is still there, just ask him to put on a blindfold and tell him that a person is going in the door and that they have a rope on them.

I've come here on my own account, but I call the person I dislike with a cellphone and they come. I tell the guy who says this warning is fake that when I tell him to take off the blindfold and if the rope is empty then the warning is true... Since I won't be the one disappearing, the memories of what I said will stay.

Rep:
Level 96
VERY good, that's better than what I came up with, which is very similar (flawed too, so I didn't bother with posting it).

However, again you must consider the part about altering time and history.

. . . there's a good chance that . . . you may end up being in a completely arbitrary place due to the effects of the removal changes to the time stream.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
The answer is no.

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
Take something that makes noise, like a radio and toss it into the door while playing music, if you hear it, then you'll remember it being there.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
Not really, you would just wonder how it got there.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
Take something that makes noise, like a radio and toss it into the door while playing music, if you hear it, then you'll remember it being there.

Use this idea, but write down on a piece of paper that the radio is to test whether the guy is right or the sign is right.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
Should have thought of that

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Eternal Sunshine of the Arrow's Mind!

Rep:
Level 86
How about since the dude said that the light was of, you shine a light inside. If you see a switch, you can probably go in without harm. And, if the warning holds true, then it won't matter anyways, because everything after you were but a twinkle in your Daddy's eye is you-less, and thereby unaffected by your existence.

Man, I need a sandwich. Too much thinking.

-BP

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
Please do not necropost

Rep:
Level 86
Please do not necropost

Sorry, I just thought it was an interesting topic.

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
It was, but you necroposted

I am dushbag
Rep:
Level 86
haha just build your house there put un wanted guests in there if you finnally end up with cancer a disease walk in and find out i know its a stupid idead but you had a log road and nows your chance :D(7 hours on the forum :O for me)

Rep:
Level 90
Returned from the dead.
If the man steps into the doorway, everything about him would have been erased from time.
This means that he would never have stepped into the doorway, nor would you have seen him, thus creating paradox.
Sincerely,
Your conscience.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
1. I'd throw a rock in the door and see if it comes back.

2. Or a squirell.

3. I'd take the risk and try it myself, if i don't come back it's proved.

Who cares about life anyways? If someone does, they can send Arrow ^_^

edit: Woulnd't realise huh?
Err, there is a way, there always is a way.

I'll find one and edit the post.

Till then, the third option of mine~

Edit:-
You said, Arrow, that there is no proof that the sign is true.
So we just send someone in, and if we don't remember a thing..yeah it's true.

But he'll come out, most probably. I came out~
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 07:12:26 AM by Nightwolf »
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Leave the door, then come back the next day to stick your hand in. If the sign's true you'll find yourself thinking you've never had a hand, and thus you'll have no memory of why the hell you're in front of the door again (you came for the specific reason of inserting the hand you'll then think never existed).
Read the sign again and think for a while.

I mean, you would be aware that the door erases all memories of what enters it, so it wouldn't be out of the question to come up with the thought that perhaps the reason you don't remember why you're in front of the door is because you put something in it.
From there, it would be probably for you to look down at your handless arm and think that maybe you put your hand in.
You then say "OOoooooooooooooooh. HOLY FUCK that's crazy."

Or here's a thought:

Since you were the first to encounter the door, it could be that the "you" the warning refers to is literally you.
So if the man walks in and walks back out it proves nothing.
Or perhaps when it says "you," it means the entirety of you--your whole body.

Or if you really want to try something crazy, take a sledgehammer to the door frame and take the actual door off its hinges.
If there's still an open entryway, it's no longer a door.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 11:49:49 PM by Dertt »

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
STOP POSTING IN THIS THREAD
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 88
I AM THAT IS.
Easy, close the door and continue on with your own life.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
Rope-person theory
Impossible if the person would have no effect  on time then you would not have brought a rope so you would find yourself back at the door, however you being confused as to why you are at the door a second time with no more resources than the first time would lead you to believe that you once had another object with you but it no longer exists and therefore is not with you at this point in time. The fact that it had never existed can be used to infer that it did :|.

Radio Theory
The radio would stop existing and not make any music in the first place, you would not have written a note because it never existed. If it doesnt cease to exist well just walk over and pick it up you wont forget why you just threw a radio.

You guys need a little more thought.
What you should do is destroy the door or kick it into the void. Seeing as anything that goes in ceases to exist then the door would not only vanish but all memory of it would. Problem solved there never was a door. Unless of course it doesnt vanish, then you go to jail for breaking and entering.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
If you knock down the door, maybe it was just a portal into the area. Then you'd be left with someone's house. :3

Also, for B&E, that's better than never existing :3

But you will always exist in an alternate, parallel universe where you didn't go into the door.