RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Request for RPG game maker

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
Hello, I'm wondering about modding/creating a game. Though I don't know the right tools/programs to do it. I'm interested in creating a RPG game that has a real time battle system. I've done scripts, sounds, images, voxels, shp's, as well as modding games like warcraft, starcraft, C&C, and the old RPG maker for PS1. I just want to make sure what is needed or is preferred for making such a RPG style game. Any help would be appreciated. 

PS: I looked at some older threads and don't know if their information is current which is why I posted. If this happens to be in the wrong area. I am simply sorry for placing it here.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Uh... RPGmakers... That's sort of what this site is about. VX, XP, 2k3, 2k. You can look at the other game programs which are a little more complicated like GameMaker or IG Maker etc. GameMaker is more side scroller than RPG maker but I guess it would work. I've never used it. I've used VX and XP exclusively for a while and dabbled in 2k3. I might have heard of an RTS script for XP some place but I doubt it. I don't think there's any RTS scripts out at all for VX. 2k3 and 2k don't even use scripts. Maybe you'd be the first to make an RTS script if you knew Ruby since you mentioned you've scripted before. However, none of these programs are used for modding existing games. They're for creating your own original (or fan) games.

Sounds good, I know I dont want to dive into something that may be to much to handle. I'm looking in to using 2D and 3D images along with other programs right now. Just tring to see which is more user friendly. Thank you again.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
If you're asking which version of RM to use, I reccommend Vx... but only because that's the only one I've tried. :lol:

Why don't you try going to the websites of the respective RMs?
:tinysmile:

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
You can try both of them for 30 days, no features missing as far as I know.
Then pick the one you like the most.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Sounds good, I know I dont want to dive into something that may be to much to handle. I'm looking in to using 2D and 3D images along with other programs right now. Just tring to see which is more user friendly. Thank you again.

Hm.. Both 2D and 3D. I know that thus far none of the RPGMs really handle 3D. I know there's a semi/fully 3D script that's been in process for VX for a while now but it doesn't look like it'll be finished for a long time. You can kind of fake 3D if you use 8-way Directional movement scripts and using 2D images of 3D models. It'll be like 2.5D.

However, the most successful looking 2.5D game I've seen to date is here actually.    
[RPGXP] Astyanax: Wrath steel - http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,33309.0.html

something like that grafikal. I think 2D can help out a 3D world to some point. but yeah i was messing with the program and it works great but there's alot of extra programing involved because of being a RPG game. I've tried some others as well and might of found one that could work. My idea was to have zombies in the game and thought of resident evil. Unless ofcourse that idea is beating an old horse with a stick. But killing zombies or being a zombie that craves brains was the idea. Thank you to all who replied and we'll see how things go from here.