RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Player Action or Player Touch Dialog

Rep: +0/-0Level 85
As I was working my way through on creating a game this weekend, I came to the realization that I wasn't being very consistent with my NPC dialogs.  Some I was setting to Player Touch, so they'd speak up immediately, while the Player Action obviously would talke a press of the enter key to start the dialog.  It seemed that the required NPCs, the ones that moved the story along require no action.  While merchants, secondary quest givers, all require the enter key.

While there's no real hard and fast rule, I'm just curious how everybody else feels about it?  All Player Action, all Player Touch, or a mixture of both?

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Mixture of both, though it's partly a matter of preference.
It also depends on the specific situation.

By the way, is this XP or VX?
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep: +0/-0Level 85
I'm currently using XP.  I took a look at VX, but wasn't too keen on it. After I finish my current game, I'll take a much more in-depth look at it.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
In my opinion, it's not preference that's the issue. Say you're in a crowded area, stuffed with NPC's, and you have to move through quickly. If you keep bumping into them, you're wasting loads and loads of time. Not only that, you're wasting loads and loads of your player's time, and that gets irritating literally within seconds. Definitely stick to action prompted dialogue.