RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Choosing the right maker.

Rep:
Level 84
I used to do this back in the days of RPG maker 95/2000/2003.
I'm not a master, and very much still a newbie.

I've got more time on my hands these days and wanted to give it another spin.
I see there are 2 new editions.. XP and VX. I think I tried XP for a little bit, but I don't remember much about it.
Which one is everyone using these days, or which one should I be using rather.

I intend to have some custom graphics (faces, sprites etc.) So I need to be able to do those.
Daniel: Hey, what kind of belt do you have?
Miyagi: Canvas. JC Penney, $3.98. You like?

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
VX has a lot of limitations that XP doesnt have.
XP has more custom resources available right now.

I could go into a long explanation, but someone else is sure to do that for me.
needless to say: XP offers more customizability at this point.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 84
I was just messing around with vx... the graphics look pretty bland and blocky even compared to some of the even older versions..

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
XP is more versatile than VX, however, I actually do prefer VX. I'm not sure why. I enjoy the graphics more than XP. I dunno, I just do.

pokeball joyOfflineFemale
Rep:
Level 85
I heard the voice of the salt in the desert
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Project of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Winner - 2011 Winter Project of the Season2010 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2010 Best Artist2010 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2014 Best RPG Maker User - Mapping2014 Best Artist2014 Best RPG Maker User - Graphics2013 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2013 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2010 Most Attractive Female Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion
VX is a lot easier to event and code for. And it's less laggy. You do have to cope with having a limit to your tileset, but in my opinion that's a good thing. Having a smaller number of tiles can help force you to have a cohesive style and not overburden the system with hundreds of tiles that only get used once.

XP does offer a lot of tileset options, and is easier to map with because of the extra layers, but has lag issues when you start adding more resources and scripts.

I like bthem both, but I prefer VX right now.

Rep:
Level 84
VX is a lot easier to event and code for. And it's less laggy. You do have to cope with having a limit to your tileset, but in my opinion that's a good thing. Having a smaller number of tiles can help force you to have a cohesive style and not overburden the system with hundreds of tiles that only get used once.

XP does offer a lot of tileset options, and is easier to map with because of the extra layers, but has lag issues when you start adding more resources and scripts.

I like bthem both, but I prefer VX right now.

I have both downloaded..

I don't know if I want to take the "easier to use" or the "more to customize".

Some of the games for XP I have seen look stunning. I like the VX graphics.. but everything looks "square" and that kinda bugs me.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
crappier maps look less crappy in VX :)

XP Is harder to map in, easily.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Communication begins with understanding
Rep:
Level 89
Project of the Month winner for October 2007
XP Is harder to map in, easily.

That depends. I think it's easier to map in XP, because it has 3 layers. VX is harder to map in because it dosen't have so many layers to work with.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Most Mature Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
I would say it's harder to make a good map in VX than it is to make a good map in XP, but a lot easier to make a mediocre map in VX than it is to make a mediocre map in XP.

Rep:
Level 84
Hmm.. I can see what you guys mean.

seems that in XP.. everything looks more "complicated" because it is.
VX is simpler, because there is less there to work with. Almost all the VX maps I have seen.. everything is "square" or at least "box shaped".

Can you do large sprites in VX?
also, I want to learn SOME scripting.. but I'm used to event editing..

which version is going to be better for that? I'm into lots of customization..

custom tilesets, face graphics, animations, sprites, music, everything...

I want to be able to customize as much as possible. But I also don't want to pull my hair out with the technical part of it.

pokeball joyOfflineFemale
Rep:
Level 85
I heard the voice of the salt in the desert
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Project of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Winner - 2011 Winter Project of the Season2010 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2010 Best Artist2010 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2014 Best RPG Maker User - Mapping2014 Best Artist2014 Best RPG Maker User - Graphics2013 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2013 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2010 Most Attractive Female Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion
Yes, VX does larger charaset sprites, it calculates it as XP does, except that there are three ros of step animation instead of four and the default arrangement is a set of eight charsets.

Rep:
Level 85
I am the wood of my broom
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for April 2010
You know it's preference, test out the engine play with it, it varies from person to person, some say XP is better while some prefer VX so it depends if you think the engine is suitable for YOUR needs and if you can make a game in there. Remember, you are the one who is going to make your game not someone else.

Also...if some people read the helpfile they should know that adding ! in the charset filename allows you to use big sprites :V