RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Resolved] Textbox with NPC name on it? They Exist?

Rep:
Level 66
RMRK Junior
Greetings, i was wandering...is there a way to show the NPC or character name in the upper left corner of the textbox when they talk?
Is boring and also not very professional start each textbox with:
[NPC or Character] bla bla bla... and also uses some of the alredy limited space for text.
I've tried to use some script but i'm not yet found one that can help with this...and i'm not good at creating scripts by myself XD
Also, is there a sistem to input more than 4 line text when you are writing down the dialogues?
I've see many script allow you to "show" to the player more than 4 line, but al least until now, i havent found a script allowing me to write in the textbox more than 4 line.
Is there a way?

Thanks for your time ^^
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 08:01:50 PM by fenicearcana »

Rep:
Level 66
~RTP Princess~
Really, it would depend on which system you use.
If you're using RM2K/3 you'd have to either have a message box use one line for the name and three lines for the text or use pictures to create a fifth line for the name. I'm sure there'd be a script somewhere for adding a name with XP or VX.
As for the more than four lines at a time - you're out of luck for 2k/3. Maybe write it all out in a text document then copy paste into message boxes?
Not sure about XP but VX has a small option when writing the message for a 'batch entry' which allows you to add more than four lines at a time. I'm not sure of the limits to it, but I've personally done something like 20 or so lines at a time.

Hope this helps a bit!

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Again, scripts make the world go round here. If you're using VX, look up Modern Algebra's Advanced Text System. If you're using XP, look up either DubeAlex's AMS or Ccoa's UMS. You'll find instructions with each of them for how to use them.

Rep:
Level 66
RMRK Junior
Got it! I'm not very used to modify Scripts, but this one seems pretty cool.
It give me some conflict problem, but i've figured out whats the problem [the problem is, a conflict with another script...i will fix it)
Thanks Guys, with http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,25348.0.html is is all fixed, ^^
My system is VX, i sometime forgot to say ut ehhe ^^

Thanks Again for your Time.

P.S. Algebra's works are really awesome...

Rep:
Level 74
I'm baaack!
If it hasn't been fixed already, then the namebox can not support long names. I edited the script and finally decided to ask MA if he wanted to know how to fix it. I just posted so I don't know if he wants the edit I made.

If you want it, go to around line 2123 and change the code to this:
Spoiler for:
Code: [Select]
class Window_NameBox < Window_WordBox
  #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  # * Object Initialization
  #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  def initialize (name, viewport = nil)
    @word_sprite = Sprite_Base.new (viewport)
    wlh = $game_message.name_wlh > 0 ? $game_message.name_wlh : $game_message.wlh
    rows = (name.scan (/\x00/).size) + 1
    hght = [($game_message.name_border_size*2) + rows*wlh, 33].max
    super (viewport, name, 0, 0, -1, hght, true)
    self.viewport = viewport
    @word_sprite.x, @word_sprite.y = $game_message.name_border_size, $game_message.name_border_size
    @word_sprite.bitmap = Bitmap.new (self.width - (2*$game_message.name_border_size), self.height - (2*$game_message.name_border_size))
    @word_sprite.bitmap.font.name = $game_message.name_fontname
    @word_sprite.bitmap.font.size = $game_message.name_fontsize
    @word_sprite.bitmap.font.color = text_color ($game_message.name_fontcolour)
    @contents_x, @line_x = 2, 2
    draw_word (name, @word_sprite.bitmap)
  end

I'm pretty sure that's the right part

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
It seems to work fine for me, but it depends on the font since the Bitmap method which measures the length of a string is inaccurate for some fonts. Long names work fine in the name box for at least the default font.

What did you change though InfinateX? That looks like the same as it is in the ATS 3.0c.