RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Variable Tutorial V:1.0 [Lots of Pictures]

Rep:
Level 90
What are Variables?

Variables store data, they can store many forms of data but in RPG Maker, they are mainly used to store numbers.  They can be very useful in keeping count, and checking to see if you are within set limits.  Each Project in RPG Maker can make use of 5,000 variables.

How do I use Variables?

Variables are used to store data that is important to track.  For example if you wanted to embark on a quest and you needed to search for 3 people, you would want to use variables.  Why? Because you need to make sure that you find all 3 people.  You wouldn
Eclipse: Darkness Arising
-Currently in development

Rep: +0/-0Level 90
STICKY THIS!  DO IT, I SAY!

Also, do you know how to get a common event to preform a combat move?
In the double spell thing, the guy got his characters to cast to spells at once, but i cant find the commmand that casts spells and abilities in combat!
VARIABLES ROCK!/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rep:
Level 92
The Return of Mandy
This is an excellent tutorial! Mind if I put it on the main site?

Where there are no gold stars, demerits, or infractions. <3

Rep:
Level 90
Sure if you want.

Thanks!

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
:shock: awesome job man, keep up da good work!! :^^:
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

Rep:
Level 92
Welcome Poster of Year 2006 Award
Nice work, that's a great tutorial! Keep making ones like it. :^^:
Do you want to be part of a growing Gaming Community, with many galleries, comics, active community, and gfx artists? Also known to be friendly. Also want some free anime music just for signing up? Play in the arcade?

Click Community Forums to join!

< Zelda Fan Club

Thanks your tutorial realy helped me but one thing is you never said how to stop the mother from giving you items like all you have to do is keep talking to you and you get your reward all over again

Rep:
Level 90
For that you just put a switch at the end of the conditional branch that gives you the reward, and create a new page with the precondition set to that switch.  You can use a local switch to save a global one.  That should work.

This helped alot but i am using RPG maker 2003 and local switch doesn't exist in there what do i do for 2003 if it is not to much trouble.

I will give oyu an idea of what i am trying to do.
My Quest has 5 items to gather and after gathering the 5 items i want the person who gave the quest to make sure i activated all the switches i set for the items.

How do i get him to check to see if i have collected all the items before completing the quest? and if i dont have all items to return with a responce saying that i havn't collected all items.

Rep:
Level 90
I'll check to see if anything changes with RPG Maker 2003, I'll notify you as soon as I find out.

Rep:
Level 91
Thanks For Coming
Thats an excellent tutorial, well done =]

Rep:
Level 90
Thank you for all the the responces.  I think there is a problem with photobucket at the moment I'm checking into it.

extremely useful except on one part i think i may have skipped a step or so (i hope not) but my switch doesnt work after i talk to the lady and accept her quest the kids dont show up! help plz

Rep:
Level 92
REEAALLY REAALLY USeful, except i kinda detest the fact you used RPG MAKER XP to make it...
Do you want to be part of a growing Gaming Community, with many galleries, comics, active community, and gfx artists? Also known to be friendly. Also want some free anime music just for signing up? Play in the arcade?

< Zelda Fan Club

U ROCK!!!!! Thanks to u, I now know how to use variables (I used to use lots of switches, which was a big waste). thnx

Rep: +0/-0Level 92
Guess who's back
Ok I admit I didn't know how to create variables as well.. thx dude!

it took me a while to understand variables, i could work switches and conditionals way before variables

Rep:
Level 90
Quote from: gundam501
extremely useful except on one part i think i may have skipped a step or so (i hope not) but my switch doesnt work after i talk to the lady and accept her quest the kids dont show up! help plz

If you have a problem PM me and I'll see what I can do to help you fix it.  Make sure you turned the have the kids preconditions set to that switch.

Once again thanks for all the feedback.

Rep:
Level 92
Why trhank us? We should be tahnking you eh?

< Zelda Fan Club

Rep:
Level 90
Feed back lets a person know what they are doing good and what they can improve on, so I'm thanking you for helping me improve my future tutorials so that I can explain more complex things in a clear manner.

Rep:
Level 90
Well I have to admit, i have seen so many tutorials on variables and conditions, and so far yours is the only one that makes clear sense, other people always told me: "you'll figure it out if you experiment with it" and it's never worked, so Kudos to you!

Rep:
Level 92
One by one, the penguins steal my sanity...
Yes, your tutorial is the best! It has really helped me. You rock!!!
DEATH: Master of Time, your life is at it's end! Mwahahahaha!
MOT: Whatever, dude *throws crumpled piece of paper at Death and runs away*
DEATH:....?

Rep:
Level 91
ya its good (even thow i already know about them) but it will help others. 10/10  :D

Rep: +0/-0Level 89
Thank you Echo!
Your tutorial taught me lots about variables, which I always had a problem with. You rock!

Rep:
Level 90
WOW DUDE!!! I already knew how to use variables, but this is great for the people that don't! (And no, I am not lieing about knowing about it already)

I learned everything the hard way, I knew most of the stuff on RPGMXP before ever reading about it, I had to learn it all by myself, and it got frustrating!

BUT I CAN'T SAY IT ENOUGH!!! THAT IS GREAT!!! I'm way too lazy to make a tutorial on something that needs so much explanation, especially as clearly as you explained it all.

Rep:
Level 90
Thanks again for all the feedback, and I'm currently working on another tutorial, and I hope it will help everyone as much as this one has.

Woh!
One of the best tutorial i ever seen :D
Cant wait for your next ! :D

I LOVE YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This tutorial helps me A LOT thanks bro! By the way I'm using RPG maker 2003 and in rpg2k3 is there anything that does the same thing for the local switch thingy?

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
this guide was very helpful thank you very much dude, appreciate it!!  ;D

Katai
CURRENT PROJECT: CRYSTAL LEGACY
COMPLETION: 87%
www.crystallegacy.tk

Rep:
Level 88
Back with RMVX!
What are Variables?

Variables store data, they can store many forms of data but in RPG Maker, they are mainly used to store numbers.  They can be very useful in keeping count, and checking to see if you are within set limits.  Each Project in RPG Maker can make use of 5,000 variables.

How do I use Variables?

Variables are used to store data that is important to track.  For example if you wanted to embark on a quest and you needed to search for 3 people, you would want to use variables.  Why? Because you need to make sure that you find all 3 people.  You wouldn

I've got a quick question... THIS IS YOUR "AWSOME, EXTREAMELY HELPFUl, PERFECT" TUTORIAL!?! HELLO!!! WHAT HAPPENED HERE!?! DID YOUR TUTORIAL LEAVE FOR A SNACK OR SOMETHING!?! PLEASE repost the full tutorial, I needed a tutorial for exactly this.
PROPERTY OF TEABAG!!! ALL HAIL TEABAG!!!

Rep:
Level 89
I'm back again. Again.
^^^Thats what I wanna know...

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
...tonight will be just another memory.

Rep:
Level 88
I've got a quick question... THIS IS YOUR "AWSOME, EXTREAMELY HELPFUl, PERFECT" TUTORIAL!?! HELLO!!! WHAT HAPPENED HERE!?! I needed a tutorial for exactly this.
Well then you're in luck! I wrote one just a little bit ago ^^ It's at
http://yamisiterawr.com/variables.php

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
It appears the tutorial...disappeared.... weird. O_o
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."