RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
A Few Questions

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
Hello there, I'm new to the boards and I came across this site in hopes for some answers on RM2K.
Cutting to the chase, here are my questions:

• Firstly, I am trying to make a street.  As you know, streets typically have cars driving on them right?  What have laid out is, I have a 60x50 map with a street going across the x-axis.  I have one car on far right side of street and I have it moving left along the path.  Now, once it reaches the end of the street, it stops.  So, my question is, how can I make the car, once it reaches the far left side of the street, that it will "loop" (in other words, appear again at the other side) back to the start and continue again?  I'm sure there are many other alternatives than "looping", but I'm specifically wanting to go this route for a certain effect I'm trying to achieve.
  • Secondly, and I am not quite certain this is possible, but is there a way you can alter the canvas size of your game area?  Do note, I am not implying changing the canvas to full screen!  Filming a game is quite a nuisance with such a small canvas to record off of.  I'd at least like to make it 600x800.
  • Thirdly, I'd like to know how to disable a few menus.  I saw one of the patches on the patches thread sticky, but I was a bit unsure about it.  I want to disable my start menu and title screen so I can enable myself to test play with much more ease; although not permanently, I'd like to have the option to turn it back on if I needed to.  Is this possible without a patch?
  • Lastly, I haven't looked into this much, but it is about pictures.  I am trying to create sort of a "museum" if you will, and when the player goes up to a picture and presses the decision key, the picture is enlarged around the whole screen.  Though, when the player wishes to see the next picture, I would like the current picture to transition (shift left to right) to the next one.  Can I do this?

I know this seems like a lot of questions, and I apologize for such information greediness; however if you can offer your help, I would greatfully appreciate it.

\<| Eyes Red As Crimson Wine |>/

Rep:
Level 83
The last two? I can't answer them, sorry, but for the first one, when he reaches the end, you could put a teleport and teleport him back to the start of the road, for the second one, you can press Large Mode, its 2 to the left of the help manual in the top corner.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

How can I make the car teleport?  I thought that only the hero is allowed teleportation.  If what you are saying is true, how would I set up the event like that?

Oh and, what you mean by "large mode" is full screen - something that I specifically did not want to have as a solution for greater canvas size.  I do however, appreciate your helping gesture.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 04:35:22 AM by Eyes Red As Crimson Wine »

For the last question about the pictures, this is very possible.

The Show Picture command requires you to give pixel co-ordinates for the position of the picture. These are not relative to the map, rather they are relative to the screen (cant definitely remember the resolution but i think it's 320x480 or something similar). You can use the 'move picture' command to specify new co-ordinates and pan the pictures to that new position. You can use negative values for the co-ordinates.

So what you would do is move the first picture off to the left by giving it a negative x-value. Simultaneously you would show the second picture with a high positive x value (so high that it gets shown off-screen and you dont see it) and then move it to the center of the screen.

I think you will be able to figure it out.

Rep:
Level 85
I am the wood of my broom
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for April 2010
Ok let's see...

you can make the car teleport via change event location.

To make it skip the title screen, use one of the rpg_rt.exe patches in the sticky for now and replace it later with the original exe. Some patches don't allow variables 1-10 to be used so I have to check it out first.

you can't alter the canvas size, but what you can do is make it big from the get go and map it via parts or something and set the transition to none.

As for the pictures, you need knowledge about Key Input Processes, Conditional Branch, Show Picture AND Move picture to do your desired effect.

I'll answer more once I have more time, sorry

I think that's all of it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 12:36:46 PM by Nessiah »

Ah, you guys are brilliant!  I totally forgot about the change event location.  I was using that for my character going through doors, but I probably would not have dared try that to make the car "teleport".  The moving picture technique worked excellently, I have a perfect museum thanks to you.  The canvas size is still a problem, I tried making the parts smaller to make the game seem "bigger", but it just was not same.  All that leaves is to download the rpg_rt patch and I am good to go.

Thanks for your help, you are most helpful.