RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
A question about thr Pokemon Starter Kit

Rep:
Level 86
Brits, or gtfo.
Ohaythere, RMRK, I'm just gonnacome back after a ridiculous amount of time, like I do.

Anyway.

I'm using the PokeStarter to make a Pokemon RPG (shock!), but there are a LOT of differences with this and the original game, one being tht the player is a pre-named character, who, for once, is not a silent protagonist.

Because of this, I need to get rid of the "Choose gender and name" part of the intro - would simply deleting it do fine? I don't want to mess anything up.
why are you looking down here srsly i mean, my post is up there.

Rep:
Level 86
Brits, or gtfo.
Ah. As it turns out, it DOES screw over the event. Wonderful.

Since I can't delete the event, does anyone know a way I can edit it into the story?

The "intro" is the player character giving the player a short introduction to the game, and does not require the player to choose his/her name and gender.

The only idea I have is that player character asking if she should be in uniform, or casual clothes, but that kinda makes me facepalm a little.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
What do you mean edit it "into the story"? If it's the event that's bugging you, couldn't you just delete the entire event?
Let me mess around with it, then I'll come back with a solution or not. Either way, I'll post what I find.

However, I'd suggest going to the official topic for help, since they'd know best.
Can't give the link since I forgot it myself, but if you found the starter kit then you'd know how to find the right place. ;)

EDIT: Okay, so it seems like you're going to need to edit a lot of stuff in the scripts, so really, you should go ask the people on the official forum.
I don't script, and even if I did it'd be a lot of work to make sure the edits wouldn't cause more incompatibilities, so I can't help you beyond that.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 09:01:49 PM by SirJackRex »

Rep:
Level 86
Brits, or gtfo.
EDIT: Okay, so it seems like you're going to need to edit a lot of stuff in the scripts, so really, you should go ask the people on the official forum.
I don't script, and even if I did it'd be a lot of work to make sure the edits wouldn't cause more incompatibilities, so I can't help you beyond that.

Ah, alright. Thanks for trying, though. <3

Rep: +0/-0Level 85
Okay, first off, in order to set the gender, call this script:

pbChangePlayer(X)

X=0 is for a male character.
X=1 is for a femal character.

If you want to set a different graphic, it can be set in the "Edit Metadata - GLOBAL" section of the editor which comes with Pokemon Essentials.

As for the name, I looked into it, and couldn't figure it out. I did, however, find the script to define the name, but I can't find a way to edit the global value without editing the base script. I wouldn't recommend it since they update Pokemon Essentials every now and then. So, here's the script. If anyone could add it as a new script section thingy for friendlier updates, or at least tell me how so I could do it, it would be appreciated.

def pbTrainerName
 trname=pbEnterText("Your name?",0,7)  #Obviously this is where the name would be entered
 trainertype=pbGetPlayerTrainerType
 gender=pbGetTrainerTypeGender(trainertype)
 if trname==""
  trname=getRandomNameEx(gender,nil,1)
 end
 $Trainer=PokeBattle_Trainer.new(trname,trainertype) #this is required to initialize the $Trainer object.
 $PokemonBag=PokemonBag.new
 $PokemonTemp.begunNewGame=true
end

For now, if it helps, you can show the player supplied name in texts by typing "\pn" (Without the quotes.)