RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Squarin' 'views

Rep:
Level 88
Excuse the title. I've always wanted something a little cheesy for a heading. :tpg:

Okay, I'll try to keep reviews short but worthy. And they'll be of both new and old games. Although I'll particularly focus upon older style games because I have enjoyed them so much more.

The Adventures of Batman and Robin (Sega Mega Drive - Sega Genesis in US :: 1995)

Spoiler for Quite possibly one of the best side-scrollers out there, even today.:

Co-operative two player games are always particularly interesting. Especially when they require great-skill to beat them, this one is without a doubt no exception.

This game is mainly overlooked but boasts addictive and simplistic controls and the vastly popular side-scrolling style of play. You can choose Batman or Robin (though neither vary from each other). To fight off enemies you use three throwing weapons. Although hand-to-hand combat is also possible when close by an enemy in which you will at random punch, kick or headbutt your opponent.

Gameplay
Like many arcade shooters the action never stops and you’ll be constantly trying to defeat your foes. Infact, the game breaks up a few times to cut to very alternate sections in a few levels (one being a very arcade-ish shooter using a hang-glider). Every level (besides the final level) is perfected with great variations to the other levels, and they get longer and longer as you go along. The final level however is an exception… and is incredibly linear and short which is such an incredible disappointment – when you reach it you may feel like Gotham isn’t worth saving anymore.

The all-round length to the game is almost perfect, with that last level being the thing to throw things out of balance, and almost ruin a watertight game.

Looking back on the game there is one major flaw I notice however: six credits is most certainly not adequate for two players. Ten or maybe eight credits is however. But you’d both want to be equally skilled (as although the battle system is simple the depth is rather great, and having your friend use up all the credits may annoy you a tad when you die).
8/10

Graphics
Wow. The graphics really show what the genesis is capable of, the backgrounds are 3D yet our heroes are 2D and they blend together so well. Immense detail was put into the backgrounds of the levels and in particular the third level, where things get a bit interesting... Each level actually feels like a different level! Like a new area of Gotham is being explored! (this goes hand-in-hand with how the game plays in certain sections of some of the levels too)
10/10

Sound
The first track you’ll hear is the pulsing theme Jesper Kyd has so expertly made for the game. And every time you hear the next track you’ll keep wanting to hear some more! It’s uncanny just how suitable the music is to every situation Batman/Robin go through together in the game. From the psychotic (third level) to the desperate (first boss), the music is flawless Industrial Techno. Two thumbs up for Jesper indeed!
10/10

Upon completing the game you will want to play it again, try it out with a few of your other friends, see if you can beat it using up less credits next time and overall just have one the best gaming experiences in the process. A highly recommended buy, I still play through it occasionally.

Nine out of ten.