RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Adding new tiles + various other questions

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
Okey-dokey.  I searched all over the forums and haven't found any answers to my questions, so I'm reluctantly making my own post.

1.)  I have finally mastered how to upload fan-made tiles into the game (you drop them in the "system" folder, right?).  Unfortunately. when I do that, the new tiles overwrite the ones that came with the program (maybe "tiles" isn't the right word).  Also, I can only seem to use a limited number of new tiles.  Is this making sense?

Well, my question is:  Is there a way to upload an unlimited number of tiles into the game while keeping the original tiles?

2.) I want to make a game without the following things:

-battles/enemies
-player stats
-classes
-HP/MP
-levels
-weapons

For example, I don't want the in-game status screen to even display things like class and HP.  Is this possible?  How would I go about it?

Thank you very much fir your time,
-Lagore

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
You only get to use Tiles A-E. They left E blank so you could make one more yourself. There's no standard way to add more than that as far as tiles are concerned, if you want more, there's a script for that but it's complicated and there's no GUI for it.

As for not using those other things... Just don't use them... I'm not sure what kind of game specifically you'd be making without all that, but okie. You'd have to edit out some things in the script editor if you just wanted to get rid of the displays in the status windows and stuff, I don't know what specifically, I suck at scripts.

Thanks, also:

Can you perhaps suggest other programs that would make it easier to do the things I want, while retaining an "RPG look" to the game, and the easy-to-create levels?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
What RPG makers have you tried? You could try XP, it's got more customization than VX does. You could try out Game Maker, but from what I hear it's a bit complicated, but there are tutorials for it.

I've tried this one and... well, I guess that's all.

Good idea, I'll try XP.  I only picked VX because logically the most recent release is usually the best.  And I'll just not use the enemies and stuff and I won't worry about the status screen.

Okay, I think that's everything.  Thanks for the help, and I'll post about the project later if all goes as planned.