RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Need opinions

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
Hey guys (if this is in the wrong section, then please move it) I'm thinking about making a game in RPG Maker XP, but I'm at a delema. I can't decide wether to go with the route of the player choosing their character (Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, ect.) or going more with the story oriented route in which there is a set main character with a backstory that is heavily intertwined with the story and gameplay (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest) so I figured that I should get some other opinions on the matter. Once again, if this is in the wrong section, just tell me/move it. Thanks!

Rep: +0/-0Level 75
I personally always give the player the option of being a male/female and class1/class2 etc.

But it can also depend on your party.

Do you have the standard party of 4? Or is it just the player only?

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
The party would be similar to Final Fantasy, Dragon Age, ect. There would be the main character with party members that he/she would pick up throughout the game. The max number of characters that can be in your party I'm thinking would be four, but you can switch out your party members at save points and on the menu at certain spots.

Rep: +0/-0Level 75
You kinda work with both then.

With you switching in and out Party members, you are free to either keep the main character either the same class, or switch it around a bit, because either way, you're going to be looking for a good class combo.

And with that, you can go for a slight FF approach, (Out of the games I've played of their's anyway...) Where, you keep the same character, but let them throughout the game decide on the right class.