RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Navigation with (picture) map

Rep:
Level 68
Infinite imagination
Hiyah,

So I was thinking 'bout creating a map, you know a piece of paper (in characters point of view), for the game. (actually a lot of them, kinda one big element in my/our game project.) So here I go, throwing a topic 'bout what would be the best way to do this (hopefully no one else have done this already(in that case, sorry!)). :D

But back to the maps. I was thinking that I split every larger city in to sectors, that can be accessed from the city map (!= world map). Sooo, I was thinking that what would be the best way to execute this idea? I take it I have to script a certain window to make the map navigable?

Anywayyy~ Anyone smarter than me on this case, please let me know if I'm going totally off :D
And sorry, hasty post. Coffee breaks at work are so short and I have bad head to remember things later if I don't get them done right away ^^

BR
Mittenrc

Rep:
Level 82
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Easy Mode)2013 Project of the Year2013 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2013 Most Promising ProjectParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 10
There isn't a need for a script, really. A script would make it more sleek, but you can do without. It could be done in a number of different ways with events. You could have the player inspect a city map hanging on the wall or some such which then takes them to a new area which displays a larger version of the graphical map and the different sections of the city. You could quickly swap the player sprite for a pointing finger and use that to roam around the map and 'click' on events that take them to different places.

UPDATED 05-29-14

IS YOUR PROJECT OPTIMIZED?
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5

Rep: +0/-0Level 72
RMVX Intermediate
there is a script, I think its this one http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=13986&st=0&p=122764&#entry122764 the only problem is that you'll need to edit the code a lot for you get to transfer, if you needed to of course...   :-\

Rep:
Level 68
Infinite imagination
Thank you Exhydra, Hugak. Both of your answers helped me onward with my planning. :)