RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
New here - Wondering about some things about my game

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
Yo,

I'm new here, and actually recently came back to a game project I started a bit on ages ago, which was meant to be just an event test map, but I really got into it, and actually came up with an interesting idea...
The problem is, I would like to share my game some time when I've finished a bit more of it, and I would like to know what people think of my idea for this game:

-There is no story. -HOWEVER- the game will consist of a bunch of quests that are to be found by the player. These quests are found by talking to NPC's or examining objects. The quests range from being super funny, to more serious ones, and even a little romance. The game is supposed to be a very light-hearted game that is about having a good laugh and having fun doing quests. The game is over when the player has found and completed all quests
-There is no combat. This is a purely quest-based game, one that promotes exploring the game world. Exploring takes place in a single town, with each and every place, building and NPC having an important role playing in one or multiple quest lines - Quality over Quantity.

It'll be made in RPGMaker 2000 - I know it's an outdated program, but I prefer it over the newer versions. Would this put off people from playing it?
Using mostly basic templates - I did create sprites for the main character, and a few extras, but most of it is all from the basic templates. Would this put off people from playing it?

So yeah, I was wondering if this is a tried concept, if so where can I find some examples of games purely focusing on story/quests/events? If not, would this kind of game make people not want to play it?

Also, small side question about RPGMaker charsets. How do I create my own charsets without editing existing ones? Whenever I make my own .png files they just show up black in RPGMaker, and when using existing ones it's very colour limited.
Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb!!

herp derp
Rep:
Level 81
Newclear Bomb
To me this sounds awesome, however I believe the use of RM2K will put people off

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
Thanks, I'm glad at least one won't think it's a dumb idea. I've tried RPGMaker 2003 years ago, but I just can't stand the graphics of it.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
I like 2k3 more than XP and 2k. But I'm kinda bound to VX.
As for you, I don't think the fact it's made in RM2k should put people off. It's interesting to see what people can do with the old engines. Your stuff doesn't sound bad either. Should work well.
Games have been made, recently even, in 2k/3, and people still took them as perfectly good games (depending on if they were well made or not, of course).
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 88
Fight Tha Powah!
Ok thank you. I'll post a project thread when I've got a little more finished then.

Yeah, I was thinking it would mainly be the graphics that could put off people. However since the game's main focus is on events and dialogue, I don't think it would matter too much in which version it's made anyway.