RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Making a Game, Need Some Advice...

Rep: +0/-0Level 69
The Amazing Hyde
Hello,

I have been working on a game for awhile and I seem to be falling short on a few things, or at least I think I am. I'd like any kind of advice that anyone can offer to me at this point.

My game is being made in RPG Maker 2003, one of the things I am interested in making for my game is a custom OST, it's own sound track rather then using the sound track of other games and movies... How would I go about doing that? If I am to find someone who would be able to make midis for my game, how would I go about describing to them how I want the songs style to sound like?

One thing that is crippling me in the game making process is that I really suck at making maps. I have attempted numerous times to make town and city maps that looks as believable as a 2D RPG game can offer. What are some things I should keep in mind when making maps, what are some methods and plans I should stick to while making maps.

I am currently the only person working on my project, I have no game developing team... But I do have some experience making games from programs like RPG Maker, Byond, and I am now experimenting with Adventure Maker and M.U.G.E.N.
My current project is something that I hope to be my biggest project yet, and I plan to spend alot of time on it, but it's hard to go all that I have planned done by myself. I already made a large batch of sprites by myself, made a few maps, created a few common events, and progressed the story a bit event wise. Is there any ideas or methods to make things easier, such as spriting ((seeing as I still have alot of sprites left to make)).

Is there, perhaps, a place I can go about finding and recruiting people for a development team?

Any advice, suggestions, methods, and/or information for this specific topic would be greatly appreciated.
I have strong feet!

Rep:
Level 83
Look at me, runnin' and all
Project of the Month winner for August 2009
I'd love to help you out on some things.

My game is being made in RPG Maker 2003, one of the things I am interested in making for my game is a custom OST, it's own sound track rather then using the sound track of other games and movies... How would I go about doing that? If I am to find someone who would be able to make midis for my game, how would I go about describing to them how I want the songs style to sound like?
I understand that you would love an OST. However, that's quite hard. If you yourself are not the musical type of person, it's even harder. If you own a USB/MIDI keyboard you could consider creating an OST yourself with software such as Cubase or something, but if you don't, just try to find one. There are lots of composers who are willing to do it for free, however, the quality won't be as good as with payed composers, of course. But a composer should always be able to be innovative and derive a good song from just a simple screenshot or demo with the map you want the music for. They should be kind of able to feel the atmosphere from you telling him/her or from a video.

One thing that is crippling me in the game making process is that I really suck at making maps. I have attempted numerous times to make town and city maps that looks as believable as a 2D RPG game can offer. What are some things I should keep in mind when making maps, what are some methods and plans I should stick to while making maps.
What could really help you here is just looking a LOT to other maps made in RM2k3. Also, there are a lot of tutorials to be found on the internet.

As for my own tips, although I haven't mapped in RM2k3 before, is to just create something of an unique style. I know that sounds stupid but by just mapping a lot, you'll eventually create a style that you can describe as your own. Like the way you place the trees, the density of your map or just your own tiles. Try to experiment with different ways of mapping and you'll discover what you like most.

I am currently the only person working on my project, I have no game developing team... But I do have some experience making games from programs like RPG Maker, Byond, and I am now experimenting with Adventure Maker and M.U.G.E.N.
My current project is something that I hope to be my biggest project yet, and I plan to spend alot of time on it, but it's hard to go all that I have planned done by myself. I already made a large batch of sprites by myself, made a few maps, created a few common events, and progressed the story a bit event wise. Is there any ideas or methods to make things easier, such as spriting ((seeing as I still have alot of sprites left to make)).

Is there, perhaps, a place I can go about finding and recruiting people for a development team?
The first thing I want to say: take your time. When making a game it's important to just not rush things and make sure you've done everything with passion and.. love, I guess. Then you'll create the most beautiful games, the games you put your heart in.

Secondly, I think you can search for team members here.

Good luck!
  - 

Rep: +0/-0Level 69
The Amazing Hyde
Thank you, this is great advice, mainly the part about taking my time with my project. I think I might be a little too eager to see the finished product, so I'm often getting results I am not satisfied with when I push myself to that goal. I think I should accept that it will be a long time before I am finished.

I will go ahead and look into recruiting people for a team though, many thanks for your advice.
I have strong feet!