RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
School Project - Game Development

Rep: +0/-0Level 72
RMRK Junior
For a course at school I'm taking I need to create a game. I've chosen RPG maker XP to be my selected game designer. Basically, I need tips and such. Currently I've got a custom title and plan to customize everything else I could add.

Please advise me on the following -
Currently my theme is "you need to save the kingdom". This is required and the game ends with a boss battle, would you enjoy this? As an aspiring games developer (I actually know some languages, I just don't have the time to work with them) I would like to know what themes interest you as a player.

When creating a game, who do you do it for? The player or yourself? I've been given a target audience to aim at (12-16) and I need to create a game for that age range. But I've found myself doing things for myself rather than that. I've been given feedback by my peers and it doesn't seem to affect how I develop. I mostly develop things how I see them fit, not how others advise me to. But I need you help with this, how do I generalize my game so it would be fit for a wider audience rather than just me?

If you could fill out those two questions, it would be great. In addition to this, could someone please help me with the following -

I've been trying to add a battle system a lot like Zelda's. Where you can battle without having to enter a battle screen. If someone could provide me with a script to do this, I'd be greatful. I've tried Mr.Mo's, but it's laggy.

Thank you for all your help, RightLegRed
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 10:13:36 PM by RightLegRed »

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
For a zelda battle system, try, XASabs or Bliz ABS

as for your questions, finding the balance between something you want to do and something that your target audience will find enjoyable is one of the more important things in game design

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
"Saving the kingdom" is a rather cliche framing device for a video game. Of course, cliches are cliches for a reason. If done uniquely and well, it could still be entertaining. Done poorly, and it will come off as the same old done to death story.

RMRK Junior
For a zelda battle system, try, XASabs or Bliz ABS

as for your questions, finding the balance between something you want to do and something that your target audience will find enjoyable is one of the more important things in game design

I've tried XASabs and Bliz ABS but they both make the game laggy and sometimes unresponsive. This would be annoying for the user, but thanks (:

I understand that. The point of this actual thing is to gather tips, and that one was actually quite useful. I will have to document each post in this thread and I'll use it. Otherwise I won't have a basis for my changes and 70% of the mark is awarded for feedback for my game.

"Saving the kingdom" is a rather cliche framing device for a video game. Of course, cliches are cliches for a reason. If done uniquely and well, it could still be entertaining. Done poorly, and it will come off as the same old done to death story.

I know, that's why I was disappointed when they allocated us a theme. I thought that we may be able to do whatever we wanted. To be honest, I would rather have been given a target audience than a theme. I don't want to kill this theme anymore than it already has been :P

Also, after giving up with the battle system. I've moved onto my next piece of feedback I've been given. It's the following
I don't like the way you have to use the keyboard for everything, I feel like the mouse could be used for the menu system

I actually had the same thought myself, could the menu system be mouse controlled? I found Blizzards one and it didn't seem to work well, I thought it would've allowed clicking rather than using the enter key, it makes the mouse movement less useful and things just a bit more complex. Has anyone else got any idea how I could implement this in my game?

Also, after I have finished the game I plan to upload it, so you guys can see what you've been helping with (:

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII

I've tried XASabs and Bliz ABS but they both make the game laggy and sometimes unresponsive. This would be annoying for the user, but thanks (:

they do? What kind of rig are you running?

RMRK Junior
2GB RAM DDR2 - 3GHz CPU

My computer is acting up though. I plan to format soon and see if I get better performance from it.

Rep:
Level 81
RMRK Master
I'm not sure how far you have gotten, but I found that games can be very fun if it has at least a little bit of an open world system. For example, you may be able to select an order of when you want to do certain missions.

You don't have to change what you already have, but I suggest adding some "openness" in some areas of the game.

Hope I helped!
..........|¯•¸_¸,.•”ˆ¯....Thundercow....¯ˆ“•.,¸_¸•¯|..........
¯•_¹ˆ¯•ˆ¯¯±¸_Thunderclan WÅrrÏØr_¸±¯¯ˆ•¯ˆ²_•¯

Epequest
Game-25% complete
Demo-99% complete

Rep:
Level 87
There's nothing wrong with your idea per se, but what makes the kingdom worth saving? If the kingdom isn't interesting in some way, would your audience really care whether or not that it is saved?

It's the little things in life that surprise us and make us in awe. The tiny touches in life, that are so detailed and intricate - they can't even really be called 'Ideas' that will make or break your story.

I always love an old fashioned 'save the world' story. You just have to put your own 'pure essence' into it. We want to learn what you are about, not what final fantasy developers are about.

So therefore, how is your world interesting and different from all the other worlds? What is the tone, the artistic style? Subjectivity is very important here. What are some inside jokes that you heard that you could explain them to us, the audience? What do you see in your own mind's eye?

I just played a game that actually used Final Fantasy 7 music. I wanted to seriously VOMIT when I heard that. (The game wasn't bad though, and if it wasn't for the final fantasy throw-up, I'd probably still keep playing it) I'd much rather them just use the RTP music that game with their game maker, but to use 'final fantasy 7 music' just makes me cringe in agony. As well as people who have elemental attacks but always have to name them 'Firaga' and the like. I mean come on. That is somebody else's vision. It's not YOURS. What do YOU think, where do YOU want to go, what are YOU about? How are you interesting and unique and special? How are you a firework, ala Katy Perry? When your colors burst, what are they???? All of these are important if you want to suck people in your world.

Zelda has already been done to death by the way. It's okay to have a Zelda-style game, but what is your spin on things? You are not Link, you are not Mario and you are not Cloud fucking Strife. You are you! And we want to know about YOU. Not those characters who were created for mass appeal and for everybody to like them.

Rep:
Level 76
Shh, they're listening...
Were you given a setting or only the theme? If only the theme you have a lot of options and are not limited to a time period or setting. Which will work in your favor here.

There are quite a few options with the "Save the kingdom" theme. You just have to know how to look.

Which demographic do you have to shoot for? Are you going for Western teens? JRPG fans or WRPG fans, action, adventure ,strategy? The theme "Save the kingdom" works in just about every genre. Every Final Fantasy had some variation, as did the older Dragon Quest ones (not sure about newer ones), but so did Elder Scrolls and Mass Effect (two of the bigger ones I see referenced).

Figure out what your demographic is, as well as what genre. Not just the age range. Twelve to sixteen is a bigger leap then you might think. Getting into RPGs the split can be even wider depending on what they started with.

What genre do you want to work in? Or subset of RPG; Western or Eastern? Ask some kids what RPGs they're playing. There are plenty of different ages here on the forums but you could also ask siblings (if you have younger siblings) or siblings of friends or cousins or whoever you know in that age range. Ask their opinion on popular RPGs. See what they say, what they'd like to see in them and go from there.

If you need help on the theme, look around. You may not notice right away just how many games have the theme of "Save the Kingdom". If your goal in the game is to protect the city/town/world then you're playing a Save the Kingdom game. Fallout; New Vegas is one, as an example of unexpected ones.

--as an actual answer to your question; I generally try to go with something I'd want to play. I also ask other people to look at it though, notes and such in development, and see if they'd find it fun too. I take suggestions and make changes in the name of keeping it entertaining. As with most things; limiting yourself to one source only works to damage the outcome. Never put yourself into a box.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 12:31:28 PM by Dyre »