RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Elements of a Horror Game

Rep:
Level 73
Resident evil is not scary, sillent hill a litle bit when you playing first time (its because of it's insanity etc.). But you still whant to survive at any costs if you playing on harder difficulties ^^ Ah, i forgot about one game. Alone in the Dark: The new Nightmare. I think there is no scariest horror game on PSX (not ps2, because fatal frame is scarier xD)

Rep:
Level 75
Pixel Artist | Writer
Firstly, thank you all for the replies. I have included a bit of everything from EVERY person that's posted in this. I've made the areas smaller and condensed a decent portion on the game, I've removed the unnecessary fog, added music according to situations rather than just including scary music, added SE to areas through scripts, removed weapons early on in the game (even though it was just a stick), added 3 puzzles (and a few that can help you in the actual game, but are optional and it's up to the player to realize the usefulness of what they're doing ;) ), watched COUNTLESS videos of horror games and even spent some time analyzing "The Shining" (one of my favorite movies, but I never actually analyzed it), removed unnecessary items /  health kits, added a small bit of voice acting (VERY small lol. Final game will be fully voiced, however), andddddd credited every single one of you peoples :)

The demo is being uploaded today in the afternoon after I get back from class (C++ course). Sorry its taken so long, freakin college teachers love handing out assignments. Especially my Japanese teacher. But again, thanks to you all and again, ANY help is appreciated. I will return and link to the forum post that I put the game under.

**EDIT**
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,41701.0.html
There lies the URL to the demo that I posted just a few minutes ago. Again, thanks guys for the help. Please give it a try if you have the time and leave as much feedback as possible. I'm a big boy, so you won't hurt my feelings. I apologize for it being such a large game, but what can I say :P
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 07:55:15 PM by h0m3r0w »
"Nothing's changed about war cept' the caliber of the gun."

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
I've played through quite a bit of your game so far, and come to one conclusion:
You must be a very disturbed person :V
Seriously, it is quite scary. The one thing I found out of place was your outdoors area. It does give a middle man effect; wherein other places are even scarier because this place isn't very scary, but still has tension. But maybe it's too boring that the middle man effect is lost, if you understand. 10 points if you do.
Omie is completely right. Psychological horror is quite easily the scariest, imo. Maybe through in a little schizophrenia to really creep the player out. I'm not experienced with it, but maybe if one minute she's alone in the room, then she blinks and one of your zombies appears. Then she jumps back in fright to discover it wasn't there. Have no mercy on your player's bladder or pants.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know