RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RESOLVED]Learn new attack after every "special" fight?

Rep:
Level 88
http://www.rukinet.com
Hi! I'm making a pokémon game, Pokémon Marble Version, and I need to make a system where every time a gym-leader gets beaten by the player you unlock the ability to use a HM-attack!!

For example:
 •Get to the first gym
 •Get through the gym-maze
 •Battle the gymleader and win
 •Unlock the ability to use the HM01-attack, Cut!

Anyone that can help me with this? I know I could use switches, but that would be too hard... Not difficult but boring ...
I was hoping I ccould use variables but I'm not to good at that so could someone please help me?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 07:16:14 PM by Kessiah »

Rukinet. - the dot's included!

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best Veteran2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Most Mature Member
Can't you just include the Change Skills: Cut + command into the event that holds the boss fight?

Rep:
Level 88
Probably... It's just that I'm new to rmxp and I'm not entirely sure on every function in eventing... ^^' But if this worksd... :D I'll ntry it right away!
But will this learn the player the skill or will it give him the ability to USE it?

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best Veteran2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Most Mature Member
I understand those to be the same thing... It will be permanent knowledge of the skill so he can use it as much as he wants whenever he wants as long as he has enough mana. If you want it to be a one-time use skill, then you can make it so that the skill, when used, calls a common event which makes him forget the skill...

Rep:
Level 88
okay! But, oh, one other thing!
If I want the player to be able to have the skiull before he can use it... How do I do that? So that the "special" fight (if won) will activate the powers :P

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Make a fake version of the skill, then at the boss fight replace it with the real version.

_EDIT_
I fixed it because my typing is god awful.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 12:21:00 AM by SexualBubblegumX »

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Uhh... I didn't understand what Bubblegum said... Anyways, you could do a "special loss handler" or whatever it's called and make it so if you lose, you get game over-ed. If you win, then you get the spell and whatever else you want to happen. I think that's it...

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
Code: [Select]
[code]SPEC_SKILLS = {1 => 15, 2 => 20, 13 => 11}

class Game_Battler

alias skill_can_use_special_later? skill_can_use?
  def skill_can_use?(skill_id)
    if self.is_a?(Game_Actor) and SPEC_SKILLS[skill_id] != nil
      if $game_switches[SPEC_SKILLS[skill_id]]
        return skill_can_use_special_later?(skill_id)
      else
        return false
      end
    else
      return skill_can_use_special_later?(skill_id)
    end
  end

end

Use this little script. Ok, this is how you need to connect skill IDs and switch IDs:

Code: [Select]
SPEC_SKILLS = {SKILL_ID1 => SWITCH_ID1, SKILL_ID2 => SWITCH_ID2, SKILL_ID3 => SWITCH_ID3}

Turning on the switch will allow the normal use of the skill. If the switch is off, the skill is automatically unuseable, regardless if it was learned or not. It will be displayed greyed out like unuseable skills are usually are displayed. Note that the switch affect this skill of all characters.[/code]
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 02:06:45 PM by Blizzard »
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
I personally think that using switches is the easiest, or Bubblegum's idea. Try common events
Make it to where you try and use the skill, it checks for the switch (say 001: Cut) and if it doesn't find it, then say that it wont work.