RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Switches?!

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
What is a switch used for and who do you use it?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 08:43:36 PM by NeoKage »

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
Click on my sig. It leads to a tutorial on switches.

that helps a little, but i still don't get it

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Basucally it's like this:

A switch has two positions, on and off.

Now, say an event has a page that relies on a switch. Without the switch being turned ON, the page won't run.

It's like a light, the switch must be on for it to be active.

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
Zeriab's Tut Summed Up - (continuing arrow's point)

Switches -
Are global, they can be set to on or off, sort of like true or false. If a major event happens in a game use a switch, and through conditional branching, you can achieve different effects.

Local Switches -
Each event has its own set of local switches, (A, B, C, D). They do not affect anything besides the event in which they are used. These are used more for local events (hence their name), ex : Opening a treasure chest.
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

<3
Rep:
Level 90
hmm...my way of understanding switches is like this...

Its like a trigger, when you make something like a treasure chest, you want the chest to stay opened after the player has taken what is inside for the rest of the game. You make the event and at the end, turn a switch on. Then, make a new page and have the picture of the chest opened and at the perconditions, tick the "Switch" box and find whatever switch you turned on in the previous page. Add a message like "Nothing Inside" and maybe some sound and your ready to go and test it out.

This should get you understanding switches a lil bit more (I hope) and don't sweat it cause it took me sometime to understand switches....and an even longer time to understand variables (still haven't mastered it yet).

~Winged

« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 11:10:18 PM by Winged »

With switches, don't try to do switches on the teleports, i.e. dont try to make it so when you go downstairs, the switch turns on because of the teleport, it wont work.

Rep:
Level 88
I hate to hate things.
To control events like NPCs, chests, etc, you use variable or switches. They're numerical values that control all actions inside the game. Like: you haven't got the pass from the mayor to exit the city? You already got the treasure from a chest? Those are all numbers, inside the game.
 Switches are like variables, only that it's only has two values: 1 or 0 (on/off). You control simple events with it, like chests. Switches are just a simple alternative to variables. Switches are used normally for simple chests: condition for being active? Switch A must be Off (the starting position off a switch), then, inside the chest event, you add:"Turn Self-switch A: On" after giving the character whatever was inside. Next time you return to that particular map, the chest won't be there.
 The 'appearing' conditions of all events are checked every time a map is loaded.
 WARNING: self-switches of events CAN'T be changed or measured by other events.
For that you must use global switches- they can be changed by remote events.
I need some real WORKING AVI script in RMXP!
3D ANIMATIONS:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Ericmor
3D and 2D anime ART:
http://ericmor.deviantart.com/gallery/

hee hee, i got it right after i posted the one when i said i didn't, they are really handy  :D

Rep:
Level 88
The Sliencer
They are Very Handy for games. I knew how to use switches after i looked up on someone's game.

Dungeons and Dragons Dawn of Darkness: 3% (ON HOLD!)
Dark Lands: 7%