RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Zelda-like battles in XP NO SCRIPTING - EDIT: GOT IT!!

Rep:
Level 89
(See below)

Rep:
Level 91
oh boy ..
ok look abs is not kiddy play and you are more than far from getting there

here is what you need to do:
a. you must have enemy1,2,3,4,5,6 (as many as you will put in the most monerish map) armor variables and weapon variables
thus, it will allow you to calculate the damage instead of auto putting 1 or 100

then you need dex variable to each, compared to dex of the hero, to define if a critical was made
something like vrand =rand (1,1000)
vcrit = player dex
vcrit - monster dex
vrand * vcrit

if vrand > 5000 (or something) then
-crit stuff

then you need agi compared to dex for miss

then you will need (and that will solve your problem) to input delay variable and para process it

if delay switch is off then
-attack
-delay= weapon delay variable (which you will set every time you equip a weapon)
-delayswitch=on

that will open a delay parallel process which will slowly reduce the delay to 0 and when it hits 0 it will turn delay off

same you will do with every enemy that needs delay

then you will have to check facing (if player face right and enemy is +1x compared to player position only then will you attack the monster though the delay will still be turned on)

and we ain't even talking about ranged, which btw i solved that way: make your "shot" an event, it will go in a direction you were facing, and say be turned off after 5 tiles?

and then you need to randomly respawn the monsters
to set the magic back to you when you use it

and so god damn on

oh and it still won't solve my problem: you will need scripts to actually show the damage since messages will screw it up...

welcome to hell -.-
holy shit my sig was big!

Rep:
Level 89
ok look abs is not kiddy play and you are more than far from getting there

Hey - SCREW YOU.

Kiddie play? I just don't know how to script, so my goal was to do some sort of battle system just with events. I've actually got it working pretty nice... except for my problem.

Yeah, I dont know shit about scripting, so anyone who does and has some sort of solution feel free to send me it and tell me exactly how to implement it. Otherwise, I'm still looking for a way to do it just with the events.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
You can start by look here:
http://www.crankeye.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=59601&highlight=#59601

Then just change the butchers message into what you want to happen when you don't have button A pressed.
Change the encounter to what you want to happen when you have pressen the A button down.

I think this is an answer to your problem, but I don't think it would work the way you want.
You should add some collision detection by yourself or create the sword as an event and relying on the event's collision-detection. It is however hard to adjust it correctly and I would advise against it.

You could also use Near_Fantastica's ABS:
http://www.dubealex.com/asylum/index.php?showtopic=550

Rep:
Level 91
man what's wrong with you? that line was a little word of warning, and you are still far
i just explained in details what and how can a good abs be done in eventing
and i also explained what it will lack no matter what (well almost, damage can also be showen with animations, problem is doing so many of them or otherwise setting all the branches to hit the right numbers)

next time you get pissed off from the first line i say, i suggest simply alt+f4 , do not reply unless you read my entire thing seeing as i did take my time to explain to you everything you need

and btw, i still think, no, i still know your events are far from a good abs, and i should know.

Rep:
Level 92
@blueXx
You explained the basics of creating a good ABS.
You did not explain how solve the problem.
I can understand that simply because it's not a very good way of creating an ABS due to some issues.
Instant death or freeze is no fun...
Neither are the wierd mechanics...

Rep:
Level 91
Now here's my problem. I tried to combine them, and it only lets the player be hurt. Even when I try making the attack have a conditional branch involving pressing the A button. The "event touch" box overrides it.

then you will need (and that will solve your problem) to input delay variable and para process it

if delay switch is off then
-attack
-delay= weapon delay variable (which you will set every time you equip a weapon)
-delayswitch=on

that will open a delay parallel process which will slowly reduce the delay to 0 and when it hits 0 it will turn delay off

same you will do with every enemy that needs delay

then you will have to check facing (if player face right and enemy is +1x compared to player position only then will you attack the monster though the delay will still be turned on)

that became my main focus at the middle of the post, that's the only way to get anything good out of bumping the hero and the monster into each other

Rep:
Level 92
Yes, you could say that solves the problem... (A question of definitions)
You do use the help of another event. I would do that too since it's easier to get properly.
Quote from: Draylorn
But I can't get one event to do BOTH.

If you really want to use one and only one event, you are up for a hard time getting delays to work properly. It would be kinda stupid I think.
My way is a simple not very useful way for *kiddies :twisted: *...
The way blueXx posted is far more advanced, but the result is ever so much better.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
im not even going to argue, but...

there are more than awesome ABS scripts for use. they all have simple input instructions. If you want to make your own ABS, rm2k or 2k3 would have better use for your skills.

Rep:
Level 91
scripts are hard to edit
you don't want to stick to the same crap attacks the entire game do you?
now try editing near's script into having 30-40 diffrent skills..

and i don't really know about 2k/3 but can you point me at 1 thing that it got and rmxp doesn't have that has anything to do with abs? Oo

Rep:
Level 89
Aha! Seems my system was working..
I'm just too dumb to know that the "A" buton was not, in fact, the enter key.
So when I set it on "C" it works! (After getting rid of some unneccessary variabel switches.)

Ok, it's not Zelda, but I get hurt when and enemy touches me, and they die when I hit them. In fact, first they try to run away, then they get mad, and THEN they die. :D

I'm still gonna add to it to see what else I can do to make it better.

The point is I did it with just events :D didnt think it was possible

Now I have a new problem: Can a "common event" be made to just happen, like, in the background, at all times or would I have to use the "call common event" thing?

Rep:
Level 89
hey man, good for u, most ppl get others for there problems, but u tried....and succeded, so good for u man. :^^:  :^^:, and the answer to ur queston, u will have to call common event. :(
Badass, and a do'er not a thinker

Rep:
Level 92
It's nice you succeded. I have 1 question. What happens if you let the monster touches you on your back? (You know if you have the back turned to it and it moves into you)

Quote from: Draylorn
Can a "common event" be made to just happen, like, in the background, at all times or would I have to use the "call common event" thing?

If you set the common event to parallel process, yes. You would however have to turn the switch required for it on.
As long as the switch is on the parallel process will run.
You should note that changing map restarts the common event, so using big waits might be problematic.

Rep:
Level 91
You should note that changing map restarts the common event

in an abs a wait couldn't take that long ~_~
what's more his rookie event system work about like that:

by using a button he hurts the monster though upon not using the button he get hurt.
if the event is hero touch thus the monster can keep touching even from the front and nothing will happen until the hero touch the monster
though if the monster comes from the back and this is set to collosion the event will not realize the stupidity of allowing the hero to attack a monster that is actually behind him
whats more, he did not solve the damage showing issue though it won't be much of a problem seeing as his little abs has set damages and animations don't need branches

yeah.. well done on the abs.. if you are going to use it in a game though you might as well not publish it

The point is I did it with just events Very Happy didnt think it was possible

like duh it's not like you bothered reading my post before you started yelling nor is it like your abs is of any use judging by what you have showen and by how you talk

points you need to note:
a. the usability of skills has to be turned on
b. you can't play with set damage it will suck
c. weaponery switches
d. the position of the event compared to the player does matter
e. setting usage of button A as an ultimate attack shield is a dumb idea whats more the lack of delay force you to push the event back or otherwise deal mass damage to the event or the event to the player
this can only be solved using delays
f. solution to ranged skills as well as ranged weapons
g. solution to enemy ranged attacks
h. enemy respawn
i. enemy loot drop
j. damage changes upon stat and weapon changes
k. unawareness- lack of damage animations on the monsters or anything of sort will not allow the player to feel if he will kill or will die, such unawareness usually smell really bad
l. miss and crit

i think that list was mentioned before
and like i already said, what you did is anything but abs

if you think you got everything i said nailed already, feel free to upload the battle system encrypted so we will clap
if you think anything i mentioned here has anything to do with scripts then you are wrong, and that will just mean you lack basic knowladge in eventing

though feel free to ignore that and stick to that .. thing..  8)

Rep:
Level 89
can you ever stop being a jackass?

What you are talking about is shooting WAY higher than what I hoped to achieve. For my game, it needs only to be very simple. Plus I already said I cant script, so lay off and quit getting so complicated with it.

Here is what I DO have so far.  Yeah, and enemy touching you form the back hurts you.. big deal. Enemies CAN hurt you from behind you know.

Hitting the enter key hits the enemy. The amount of health the enemy has is lmited to three hits because I used the ABCD self switches to do it.

Touching the enemy at all results in you being hurt. I used a variable for player health which is set at 20. I can change that, but I would then have to make a way to change the math that makes the health items not go above that limit. Numbers are irrelevant though, as health is shown onscreen in much the same way as the recent king kong game (screen goes redder, pulsing heartbeat sound) and there are healing orbs you pick up. I made my health system with common events, so each time you hit an enemy event, it calls the four common events having to do with the status of the screen in relation to your health. It's very effective.

by using a button he hurts the monster though upon not using the button he get hurt.
if the event is hero touch thus the monster can keep touching even from the front and nothing will happen until the hero touch the monster
though if the monster comes from the back and this is set to collosion the event will not realize the stupidity of allowing the hero to attack a monster that is actually behind him
whats more, he did not solve the damage showing issue though it won't be much of a problem seeing as his little abs has set damages and animations don't need branches

No, that's not how my system is at all. Thanks for the support.  :?

like duh it's not like you bothered reading my post before you started yelling nor is it like your abs is of any use judging by what you have showen and by how you talk

This is the internet how can I yell LMAO
You sure are odd.
If this bothers you so much that you have to rant, I guess I should up load my game somewhre for you. Soon. When I feel like it.

Rep:
Level 91
can you ever stop being a jackass?

no cause i am better than you and i want to show just how much

What you are talking about is shooting WAY higher than what I hoped to achieve

and that's why i tell you that it's of no use and you need alot more

Plus I already said I cant script, so lay off and quit getting so complicated with it.

there you have it people events=scripts
everything i said can be done and was done by me many times using events

Here is what I DO have so far. Yeah, and enemy touching you form the back hurts you.. big deal. Enemies CAN hurt you from behind you know.

of course , but they can't hit you if their back is to you and you can't hit them if your back is to them, that's what you fail to understand

Hitting the enter key hits the enemy. The amount of health the enemy has is lmited to three hits because I used the ABCD self switches to do it.

that's stupid, by using a health variable their hp could have gotten to an unlimited number

Touching the enemy at all results in you being hurt.
touching an enemy while in fact you are attacking it from behind shouldn't cause that

I used a variable for player health which is set at 20.

you could have used the normal hero hp which will go up as you level or otherwise, the usage of 20 hp wehn everything hit 1 is good but why does everything hit 1?

I can change that, but I would then have to make a way to change the math that makes the health items not go above that limit.

the normal hp bar will solve it

Numbers are irrelevant though, as health is shown onscreen in much the same way as the recent king kong game (screen goes redder, pulsing heartbeat sound)

quite a good way, though there is a script i advice to add that solves that for the player, a nice hp bar on the top left, it's really good and alot more effective

and there are healing orbs you pick up.

what did that have to do with anything?

I made my health system with common events, so each time you hit an enemy event, it calls the four common events having to do with the status of the screen in relation to your health. It's very effective.

when you hit an enemy it hits you back?!
so hmm about the monsters being aggressive and not waiting for you or you avoiding their shots.. not possible huh?

This is the internet how can I yell LMAO

let me define yelling:
Hey - SCREW YOU.

usage of caps defines yelling on the internet world.

If this bothers you so much that you have to rant, I guess I should up load my game somewhre for you. Soon. When I feel like it.

don't bother.. not good enough for me...

lastly: by putting the 3 switchs k.o solution you solved the damage to monsters problem
you simply failed to solve the main problem which is : doing that sort of pre-set damage smells really bad
(i mean.. go kill the last boss right now...)

Rep:
Level 89

Well now you're just being childish.

and that's why i tell you that it's of no use and you need alot more

For my project, no, I don't.

of course , but they can't hit you if their back is to you and you can't hit them if your back is to them, that's what you fail to understand

The only part I can agree with. If you've got a non-pompous solution I can do with my current system that would be great.

that's stupid, by using a health variable their hp could have gotten to an unlimited number

Yes, and I considered it, but combat is not the focus of my game. Besides, it's like the old-school games when they all used the number 3 for everything.

you could have used the normal hero hp which will go up as you level or otherwise, the usage of 20 hp wehn everything hit 1 is good but why does everything hit 1?

I tried that, but using HP levels in events wasnt working. It seems the third tabs events would only apply in a battle encounter and I am not using encounters so, oh well.

quite a good way, though there is a script i advice to add that solves that for the player, a nice hp bar on the top left, it's really good and alot more effective

Translation: "Quite a good way for someone who sucks here do this it's what I would do and what I do is better because I am better therefore I am better."

I said: "I made my health system with common events, so each time you hit an enemy event, it calls the four common events having to do with the status of the screen in relation to your health. It's very effective."
You replied:
when you hit an enemy it hits you back?!
so hmm about the monsters being aggressive and not waiting for you or you avoiding their shots.. not possible huh?

You missed the mark here. My common event checking was for the on screen health indication. Not... what you said.

And the rest of your post was unreadable because your big fat ego was in the way.

Rep:
Level 91
lol as in you weren't capable to answer it
for the hp bar, ok ok don't use it it's not a must but showing a damage animation is in place (simply by using show animation button, seeing as your max hp is 20 and all the damage is set it will be easy to make 20 diffrent animations of damage and placing them right)

The only part I can agree with. If you've got a non-pompous solution I can do with my current system that would be great.

check the x and y of the event and the player, it will take you a while to get everything in place but it's more than well worth it
(variable operation store all of the above you just need to call the what needed and store it in a variable)

3 hit everyone is dead like old school games?
old school games = 1 hit everything dies 15 hits=  boss ~_~

as for hp. it can work outside the battle, use change hp and choose the right hero and it will work

for your common events..
ok put it more clearly what happens if you touch an enemy, what happens if you touch while a is pressed and what happens if the event touch you and you don't touch the event

and yeah it was childish...but that's how i talk to kids, problems? grow up -.-

you have the skills cause others would keep yelling script, but you don't know the entire power of truely good eventing
just let me help you and admit you don't understand point X and get the explainition, even use pms for that
i really doubt you'll get anything good if you'll keep fighting me

Rep:
Level 89
I. Am. Not. A. Kid.

Got it?

showing a damage animation is in place (simply by using show animation button, seeing as your max hp is 20 and all the damage is set it will be easy to make 20 diffrent animations of damage and placing them right)

I don't follow. I've already got good enough damage animations, I just didn't mention them.

check the x and y of the event and the player, it will take you a while to get everything in place but it's more than well worth it
(variable operation store all of the above you just need to call the what needed and store it in a variable)

Me no understando

for your common events..
ok put it more clearly what happens if you touch an enemy, what happens if you touch while a is pressed and what happens if the event touch you and you don't touch the event
You touch the enemy at all and you get hurt. You stand in front of it and press enter and you bust it up! Event runs into me.. I get hurt.

grow up -.-

Ownage.

Rep:
Level 91
I. Am. Not. A. Kid.

Got it?

that's what i'd expect from a kid to say

animations- idiot, not omg i got hurt by a knife but showing the number of damage taken...
x and y - of course you don't follow kid, you need to be at leasy 13 to understand x and y stand for numbers that combined are a position on a graph which in that case is the game's map

if enemy touch you to get hurt that means you are dead seeing as there is no delay

(enemy touch, but keeps touching due to the trigger of collosion, numbers running fast, result- player holding the attack button will survive due to the fact that 3 comes before 20, though player that doesn't will have about half a sec before he dies , thus not enough to respone
i bet you added a monster moves back to solve that, but that will suck)

i still stand by my statement i am superior to you by all means, and you should grow up

Lol, guys chillax before Dwarra goes power hungry and locks the topic.  :lol:
Kidding Dwarra, don't kill me!

First of all why are you making a variable for the heros hp?
Why not just use his in built hp variable?

Second, if you want it basic then you really only need two variables for a monster and one for the hero.

Hero = Attack
Monter = Hp
Monster = Attack

If you want a better one add defense for the hero and monster.
Also, damage can easily be shown with an animations. All it'd require is 4 variables if your max is 999 and maybe even three if it's 99. Plus, 10 animations or pictures.

If you do it all correctly you won't need a common event.

Rep:
Level 91
999 damage:
using mods and dividing to full and so on will split the number at a point to 3 numbers which you can show

you will then need to put 10 conditional branches per animation to show it, 30 in total
add crit, miss, and 9999 damage possibility, the higher than max possible damage the more conditionals you will need

you will then need to teleport 1-4 events above the respective head of event or hero to show them.

you will need delay, you will need weapons, diffrent attacks
everything

i already told him to use hp he said "duh me no battle me think omg omg script"
whats more you are ignoring the branches of position checking as compared to hero and monsters and their respective view points

you need dex, str, int , agi, hp,mana,defense,attack variable for each monster to define their armors weaponery and stats
then you need to calculate the damage that will happen to the hero or the monsters as a result of those, including miss and crit

and if you do all of those correctly you bet you will need a common event cause that will save you the need to find over and over again the lines that need changing.

and of course a common para has to work behind you for hp/mana recovery

and after you realize those you need to go : crap
you forgot you need crit , miss animations, heal in diffrent color than damage

then you need to condition the reactions of the enemy as compared to the player
a mana bolt is fly to the enemy if the enemy is quick enough he should try and escape it
some enemies will teleport upon getting damaged too badly
and others should heal thmselves
then you need them to see if they need to heal each other
then they need to try and escape upon low hp and regenerate
maybe even forming an ambush upon one of their race being attacked

and they have to respawn after X time that's why the para keeps working
they need to also drop loot by chance

come on ark.. you lack so many points in that poor explain of yours...

Rep:
Level 89
I'm really sick of your attitude now. You are badgering me for no reason.

that's what i'd expect from a kid to say

Heh, what a very mature response.

animations- idiot, not omg i got hurt by a knife but showing the number of damage taken...
x and y - of course you don't follow kid, you need to be at leasy 13 to understand x and y stand for numbers that combined are a position on a graph which in that case is the game's map

Wow, you really just ARE a dipshit. I know what fucking X and Y are. I just don't know how you are saying I should implement them. I don't know how to get an event to do anything with an XY coordinate. And I don't WANT numbers to show up and tell me how much I got hurt. So quit telling me how to make my game.
You know who's the kid here? You. You write like an egotistical 15 year old who thinks he's hot shit because he can program something.
I'm 19, I work full time, and I'm married. I came here looking for serious advice, and I got... A loudmouthed asshole telling me how much better he is than me. I'm sure to improve under these conditions, of course.

And I do say 15, because half the time you can't even type a coherent sentence. If you're going to be a pompous asshole, at least don't sound like a retarded one.

Rep:
Level 91
only half of the time? damn i am becoming really good at it ...
ok newsflash: i am not english, english is my 2nd language and if i type like a 15 years old kid from england then i am very pleased with my progress

ok, now 19 and married? tsk.. don't you know that if you get married that young it will never work?
jeez

and you claim to be working too? ok now that's just odd, i would think that at this age you should have been busy with uni and not with "look at me i am mr hot shot who work in jobs that don't require any degree" that's the attitude a 15 years old is taking
(and honestly, even though i am alot older than that,  i still fail to understand, why would you rush doing what you are going to spend the rest of your sad life doing)

now, for as much as i'd love to believe you are not a kid, seeing as the first reaction i got from you for dare i say, trying to help you was "screw you" and seeing as you fail to understand quite basic stuff such as USE VARIABLE OPERATION THE FREAKING OPTION FOR SETTING X AND Y IS THERE, i just can't believe that you are 19, but then again...you are just the other type of a 19 years old guy possibly...
rhe one that is going to get divorced soon for working in a job that doesn't require a degree -.-

you don't want damage showen? so don't tell me you got it
but i am telling you without damage showing it will look like a rookie work

and the next time you plan on getting a serious advice, even if you fail to understand the help you have gotten for the first time, avoid the usage of "Screw you" in the first line of your post.

edit: i don't like you but i never refuse to help, here:

Blue, you don't need all that crap in there man.
I just told him requirements for the alternative.

I know the game would be alot better if you added all that, but he just wants it basic ok man? The only thing I actually forgot to put in there was the conditional branchs which, yes will need a common event. I admit it ok?

If he wanted it basic I just told him another way which doesn't require him to make a heros Hp variable.

So Blue with all respect leave him alone, I'm sure he's got what he wanted. There is no point in continuing this futile arguement. And if your mature enough you'll just stop grounding him with all these things he's already said he didn't want.