RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Most Cliche RPG subject

Poll

What is the most Cliche RPG subject?

crystals
37 (47.4%)
airships
4 (5.1%)
religion=evil
7 (9%)
brave man must rescue princess type character every 20 minutes
30 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Rep:
Level 85
I've got a hand on VX, now I'm looking to make a project. This will hopefully help me with a non-cliche story

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
Airships are ok, and the whole religion thing isn't too bad. (But try to stay from that)

You want to keep away from crystals and the princess thing like the plague.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
And war. Every third fantasy game involves a war or a country that could potentially go to war. Even I'm doing it. Sort of.

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
And castles as a player base gets pretty annoying at times.
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep: +0/-0Level 85
...Its just this thing, ok??
Legendary swords, oversized swords, and other sword related mumbo-jumbo, thats al too cliche

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
Really big, tough guys have axes (except Presea from Tales of Symphonia)
Give a small child a huge honking hammer. That would shake things up.

Rep:
Level 86
Hand-to-hand heroes are a little overdone as well.  It's been awhile since a good polearm-wielder took center stage.

And if you give said small child said huge honking hammer, either make certain there's a reason for it, or make it one of those plastic ones that actually /does/ honk when it hits stuff, :P

Rep:
Level 87
"Religion is evil" has appeared in alot of games. But "ZOMG GOTTA RESCUE THE PRINCESS" storylines are as cliche as it gets.

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
Princess things are cliches for every game, except fighting and shooting games.

FURRY 4 LIFE. Here kitty kitty kitty....
Rep:
Level 87
see the thing is, cliche doesn't necessarily mean bad. when you aren't being cliche your being original..ish...sorta and that leads to space/air pirates. there are many phrases that describe space/air pirates, but i think the most accurate one is: DO NOT WANT.
"screaming out the mating call. i've become the lord of love"

caramelldansen forever!

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Don't let Ron Jeremy have a cameo either.... Actually I lied. Let him have a cameo because that would be epic.

Rep:
Level 86
Don't let Ron Jeremy have a cameo either.... Actually I lied. Let him have a cameo because that would be epic.

QFT

And yes, I suppose that, even if you are working with a fairly cliche plot, if you can put an interesting spin on it, it no longer becomes cliche.  Like, if you /do/ go to save the princess, only it turns out she orchestrated the entire thing in order to capture you and force you to help her overthrow her father.

That's fairly different.

Just...putting little twists like that on things makes it much more entertaining to play, because then you can just imagine a player going, "Wait...what...?"  when they expect the big bad guy to have been the mastermind behind it all. 

Rep:
Level 85

QFT

And yes, I suppose that, even if you are working with a fairly cliche plot, if you can put an interesting spin on it, it no longer becomes cliche.  Like, if you /do/ go to save the princess, only it turns out she orchestrated the entire thing in order to capture you and force you to help her overthrow her father.

That's fairly different.

Just...putting little twists like that on things makes it much more entertaining to play, because then you can just imagine a player going, "Wait...what...?"  when they expect the big bad guy to have been the mastermind behind it all. 

Mind if I use that>?

Thats an awsome idea that i want to develope...

Rep:
Level 86
Mind if I use that>?

Well, if you want the Ron Jeremy thing, you'll hafta ask Mr. Sailorman, ;)

But as for the whole princess trying to overthrow her father thing...sure.  The 2.5 games I'm making don't use that plot, so feel free. ^^

<3
Rep:
Level 86
I'm my own personal tentacle monster.

<3
Rep:
Level 86
I'm my own personal tentacle monster.
Most everything's been done, and done to death.  :\

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
'everything' has been done before.
don't worry about a game being 'cliche'
every storyline starts with a cliche.  The idea of good vs evil is a damn cliche already.  It's the detail, development, and plot that makes the game original.

take a base storyline, even if its a cliche goal, there's the base.  now with interesting characters, events, twists, and events, you can flesh it out and make an original game instead of just that worn out cliche.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 88
First off, most stories are cliche no matter what. It's the characters that change it. Work really hard on your characters.

For more help, check out these articles: http://toolkitzone.com/library.php?cat=5

They should be helpful. That is all.

Rep:
Level 85
Super helpful Revo, thanks  :D

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...

QFT

That's fairly different.

Mind if I use that>?

Go ahead, give him a Cameo. It's best some one uses the idea since I don't use RM anymore.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
I'm the only one that voted airships? Seriously? I mean, you've all noticed that there isn't a single RPG out there without some kind of airship in it right?

Excuse me, every single RPG that isn't Earthbound?

Rep:
Level 87
Agreed. Although, how else would you get around? (Granted, Earthbound has PSI Teleport) I can't think of many RPGs that don't have airships, so they can definitely be called cliche. The "Tales of" series and Final Fantasy always seem to have airships at some point in the game.

Rep:
Level 88
Where's the head of a chocolate coronet? :O
Cliches aren't bad, the way they are executed determines if they are negative or beneficial. Of course, that's already proven here so I might as well not need to say that. ^^;

Agreed. Although, how else would you get around? (Granted, Earthbound has PSI Teleport) I can't think of many RPGs that don't have airships, so they can definitely be called cliche. The "Tales of" series and Final Fantasy always seem to have airships at some point in the game.
It is extremely to recall any RPG that does not have an airship, but currently the Fire Emblem franchise tends to avoid this vehicle. I don't think Golden Sun has any Airships to recall either, but I never played that game (I may in the future, don't burn on me for my feebleness :(), but you are correct. It is hard to think of an RPG without the use of an Airship. That doesn't mean it's bad though and of course, having an airship isn't exactly dull or it makes the player shrug and turn off the game...usually the player would just accept it and maybe like it, then go on with life. :3

Rep:
Level 87
It is extremely to recall any RPG that does not have an airship, but currently the Fire Emblem franchise tends to avoid this vehicle. I don't think Golden Sun has any Airships to recall either, but I never played that game (I may in the future, don't burn on me for my feebleness :(), but you are correct. It is hard to think of an RPG without the use of an Airship.
Fire Emblem doesn't need vehicles at all, due to the fact that there's no overworld. The Sacred Stones did have an overworld, but they still didn't need an airship, because it was so easy to get from one place to the next, due to the places being spaces on the map (meaning you could instantly walk from one place to the next). Fire Emblem does have something where you can have one unit "carry" another unit.

Golden Sun did have an airship, but I think it was only close to the end of the 2nd game, where your regular ship gets wings added onto it.

Would you consider Pokemon an RPG? I wouldn't consider using FLY an airship, but I guess you could..

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Using FLY is not an airship. That's a convenient teleportation system, and that is the opposite of a cliche. It's Something that isn't used NEARLY often enough!

Does this mean I win or lose?

Rep:
Level 85
Aye, I need to feed my fishies!
Greetings. I know this is about two months late (in reference to the last post), but I have a couple of cliches I could add to the list. That is, if you are interested in knowing my opinion.  ;9 This is my first post, so please excuse my newbishness.

- A cliche I see in many video games (then again, my expertise is limited...) is that the main hero usually falls in love with the main heroine. It'd be kinda nice to be able to choose who the main character ends up with at the end, no? Like star ocean 3 or something.

- Lock doors or treasure chests that can't usually be opened any other way except with using a certain key. Even if the player has a hammer that can smash open the enemy's skull.

- 'Light' and 'Darkness'. Very, VERY cliche. I always wondered why people/things get labeled as such. How the heck did darkness ended up representing evil and light = good? The light from the sun let's me see and stuff, but it burns to stand under it. And the darkness of the night blinds me, but I can rest peacefully in bed because of it.  ;9

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Greetings. I know this is about two months late (in reference to the last post), but I have a couple of cliches I could add to the list. That is, if you are interested in knowing my opinion.  ;9 This is my first post, so please excuse my newbishness.

- A cliche I see in many video games (then again, my expertise is limited...) is that the main hero usually falls in love with the main heroine. It'd be kinda nice to be able to choose who the main character ends up with at the end, no? Like star ocean 3 or something.

- Lock doors or treasure chests that can't usually be opened any other way except with using a certain key. Even if the player has a hammer that can smash open the enemy's skull.

- 'Light' and 'Darkness'. Very, VERY cliche. I always wondered why people/things get labeled as such. How the heck did darkness ended up representing evil and light = good? The light from the sun let's me see and stuff, but it burns to stand under it. And the darkness of the night blinds me, but I can rest peacefully in bed because of it.  ;9

I agree with you very heavily in all points (Except #2 isn't cliche so much as annoying :P.) But cliches are just sort of unavoidable after a while, and sometimes, in a story, that's just the way the chips fall, so to say.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
hero's.

let me play as a bad guy for once.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Project of the Month winner for April 2008
hero's.

:C & One that actually Kills the Innocent & Burns Cities, that would be awesome. (lol).

Or one neat thing you could do is take the save princess cliche, and turn it on its head. Make the goal the opposite of saving the princess.

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
An ultimate evil that fights against the humans only to be defeated and sealed, not completely destroyed where his minions await the day for his revival only to be defeated by either a ragtag group of adventurers or the CHOSEN ONE.

With legendary equipment in tow. :3

Rep:
Level 84
puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle
Fantasy setting. Biggest. Cliche. Ever.

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
It's a genre, silly :P

Rep:
Level 84
puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle
Maybe, but having your RPG set in that "genre" is still terribly cliché.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Anime is cliche.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Everything is Cliche
a Cliche is an archetype, a story that was used repeatedly in the past as a framework.  A cliche should be used as nothing more than just a plot skeleton.  The details you add is what makes the story original.

Nothing is new under the sun.

hero's.

:C & One that actually Kills the Innocent & Burns Cities, that would be awesome. (lol).

I believe the game is called 'Overlord'

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
fable

most people i know just kill villagers all day .-.

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
fable

most people i know just kill villagers all day .-.

My friends were bragging about that today  ;8 and said they hid the bodies.
Deceased, the memories of time flow ever lasting. Let the passion of the living and the dead touch you, and give you their wisdom.

I'd sooner die than leave your side, I'd sooner rust than let you die.

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
Really big, tough guys have axes (except Presea from Tales of Symphonia)
Give a small child a huge honking hammer. That would shake things up.

Oh yeah, man. But Presea was so cool with that axe.

And actually, in reply to someone's post up the line, I don't think wars will ever enter a cliche level. It's an interesting subject and easy to build a story off of. One hting I don't really hate, but think is cliched is the fact that tons of RPG characters are always one of this:

don't know who they are
have a really dark past
have to save the world
are fated/destined to do w/e
are pitted against a whole army and somehow win
are maybe too heroic
it's always a guy! The last time I saw a half INTERESTING female lead character in an RPG was Tales of Symphonia, and the lead character was technically Lloyd

and there are games where you can play as the bad guy. Though, I hate killing innocents, and so do a lot of people.
Two-D programmers and high school freshmen share a common horror: the Z-axis.