RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
How big do your RPG's tend to get.

Poll

I want to know how big the rpgs tend to get, so I can see whether mine is big or small.

0-10
1 (3.4%)
11-40 maps
0 (0%)
41-60 maps
4 (13.8%)
61-90 maps
4 (13.8%)
91-100 maps
1 (3.4%)
101-150Maps
4 (13.8%)
151- 200
3 (10.3%)
201-300
12 (41.4%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Rep:
Level 88
A good eventer and story creator.
Yeah so on average how many maps do you use.

So far i'm on thirty (averaging out at 50x50 almost)
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 88
I'm back :P
so far id say i have atleast 40...

Rep:
Level 88
From what I've played, they seem to range anything from 40 to 60. I want mine to be larger. Atleast 100. ;D

Rep:
Level 89
I'm back again. Again.
At least between 100+150. At least, my games gonna be that many...

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
At least between 100+150. At least, my games gonna be that many...

I agree. My game has over 300 so far. Many are under 50x50, but there is also quite a number of much larger maps like 60+x60+.
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Rep:
Level 88
Wow that's impressive.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
Yeah I think im gonna do a MANY maps that's just fun !

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
...tonight will be just another memory.
I would imagine mine to end up being around 100-200 area. My storyline is rather long so maybe even more  ;8

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
1 map includes even the houses in town... So I have like 5 towns but 30maps. :|

Rep:
Level 88
Your greatest flaw is that you have a soul.
I'd advise on this quantity thingy everyone is hooked up. Single 30x30 (or 200x200 at that matter) map of unique and natural appearance can actively replace 100 different 40x40 maps. Otherwordly, if you can't make every map interesting, natural, logical and associative to a specific situation, person or region - don't do it. People rather walk through interesting than large. ;D

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
True, that's why I try to make them not too big.
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
You have to put alot of detail in your maps to get your game noticed. If you throw maps in really fast it won't have alot of detail. But if you take your time your game will be great.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
You know what? I actually don't know how many maps my games haver on average.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
14 so far, but I only started this project a week ago, and a lot aren't done yet.

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
I can spend about 1hr-2hr on a single map sometimes. (Inc. events). So I would like to think my maps are detailed lol.  ;8(omg i love this smily!!)

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Me, too. Especially if I include some special "systems" in the map like and elevator that will take you into another map.
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 89
I'm back again. Again.
Im not the best at maps, so most of my maps will probably be done again. This migh lead to me having more maps then I planned, but just thinking about the amount of maps I'll be making doesn't put me off making them!

Rep:
Level 88
Me, too. Especially if I include some special "systems" in the map like and elevator that will take you into another map.

I'm doing the same. Complete interaction with what I think a player might like to check out, and from each logical linking to other events if they show purpose followed with the fact that you won't discover more than you actually want. Eg. sometimes you need to check something more than once. Sometimes something you read or learned afects an event on the other side of the map and only by thinking about it, or just bumpin on it accidently, can lead you to a particular discovery.

I'm also trying to make specific talks and speeches for each npc in game but trying to make it sound logical. E.G. an npc that never saw you before and is suspicious by nature will not say "Oh I like flowers, do you like flowers? I have a chest in my house full of flowers under which you can find a rare axe and sell it for 5000 gold, mind you? But don't touch that vase over there, I hid the key there."

At the same time I'm trying to push a linear game with specific events going on, common for a jrpg, without a person thinking they're forced to do something and don't have time to explore something else. Kind of, I'm trying to make a game with a flow of major events that will appear more like a big chain of reactions than actually a predefined path.

Rep:
Level 88
i rember one time....(this isnt a long story xD ) when i first got rpg maker 2000 i made a game with like... 100 maps. and that wanst even half of the game i like worked on it for month.. then my comp messed up had to format.. and then i lost intrest in Rpg Maker and well
im back to it and im planing on makeing a pretty cool rp. with like less then 100 maps. and detailed xD  and im planing on like giveing NO hints... well maybe a few.. of where hidden stuff is but mostly it would be loike Ooo a sword hanging on the wall * walks over clicks action key * OMGS! a  new sword :) ...

Rep:
Level 88
My common thing is: You walk up to the wall and hit action in front of a shield.

"Examine the shield beter"
"Nevermind"

Select 1)

Bla bla bla.

Something happens
3 switches activated.

Sometimes you just examine the shield. Sometimes you can take it. Sometimes you did something. Who knows.
XD

Rep:
Level 88
My common thing is: You walk up to the wall and hit action in front of a shield.

"Examine the shield beter"
"Nevermind"

Select 1)

Bla bla bla.

Something happens
3 switches activated.

Sometimes you just examine the shield. Sometimes you can take it. Sometimes you did something. Who knows.
XD

that works to xD

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Right now, I just got way more involved in this stupid idea I had. From what I've figured out, there will be a single 20x15 map as the world map and 300 100x100 maps for each tile on the world map. Evidently I have a tendency to bite off more than I can chew =/

Rep:
Level 89
I'm back again. Again.
Jesus, good luck with that. :)

Rep:
Level 88
I'm doing a bottom up approach this time as well (create the world first...add everything else later) unfortunately...my world map is super large...300x300...maybe i'll do two sides to the world...(eastern world and western world)
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 89
I'm back again. Again.
That would be the best idea, if you want to keep your sanity.

BTW: Our avatars are alike.

Rep:
Level 88
(actually, imma gonna ask a favour in the resources section...i'm hoping someone will do the basic shape for me XD)

i'm going to do each part of the world large though so even though there are two continents,  it'll be like two large world maps (and there are actually three continents o.O)

Hm, both vincent, damn I couldn't find a cloud one...(he's my fave character, i've been through a similar life and he looks like me (okay nothing like Shinra or the action but just certain things)
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 89
I'm back again. Again.
World Maps, they scare me. There so big.

(Vincents mine, lol)

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Holy christ one of you change it. You make me ???

Anyway, I think I'm cutting down each area to 50x50, because that's just simply more manageable.

Rep:
Level 88
I will change asap...*goes to find a nifty cloud one*
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 88
found a cloud one...

I think I underestimated people's level of mapping.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
The one I used before was tons cooler. He was wearing sunglasses, lemme get it for you.

edit: enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 09:31:00 PM by Zypher »

Rep:
Level 89
I'm back again. Again.
Holy christ one of you change it. You make me ???

Anyway, I think I'm cutting down each area to 50x50, because that's just simply more manageable.

lol, anyway, that is a good idea.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
One of my world maps i 320x240 and the other will be 240x180. I made it for the sake of the 4:3, so I can put a pic of the map into the game and it doesn't look shit.
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 88
4:3?

My world maps are going to be a lot larger...i've just got to find the time to make them...*sigh* (super large) (500 x 500, x2..possibly 3)
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
The only reason mine is so small is because the area it represents is massive.

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
My current world map is 450x400... and its so big I could cry  :=: I think im going to make it more like 300x250 as I dont think I need all that space...

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
Mine is 200 × 200 now I don't know if I'm gonna make it bigger or leave it.
Because i am also making alot maps outside World map.

Rep:
Level 89
I'm back again. Again.
My world map is 350x300. I hate it.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks
World maps are overrated.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>

Rep:
Level 89
I'm back again. Again.
Yet people worry about how big they are.

Rep:
Level 89
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Story)Project of the Month winner for July 2008Project of the Month winner for May 20072011 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2011 Project of the Year2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
World maps are still a good touch imo, if they are not overdone (/oversized in some cases).

Rep:
Level 88
World maps are good if you know how to do them.

Mine is going to be huge, and fairly detailed, but really they're set journey's from one place to another for teleports and stuff, I don't know I haven't decided for my own, whether to go FF7 style, or FFX-2 style. Cut scene's and stuff will be based on them.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 88
The light in the middle of a night
I have a load of maps in my project(Not Available) and i have planned that there will be over 250 maps and its a huge multiyear project. Some of these maps are a bit larger than what people expect... I made a castle on about 500x500... SO all the important buildings are there. Like Keep, barrack, towers and such...and 5 of the maps are just the Epilouge, Credits and Prolouge...
I'm a multitasker!
Projects:
Project Nakabi: Dark Killer, and The Dark Clock

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
I have a load of maps in my project(Not Available) and i have planned that there will be over 250 maps and its a huge multiyear project. Some of these maps are a bit larger than what people expect... I made a castle on about 500x500... SO all the important buildings are there. Like Keep, barrack, towers and such...and 5 of the maps are just the Epilouge, Credits and Prolouge...

I fell off my chair when i was reading this...

<3
Rep:
Level 90
I've reached 40 and I'm not even close to even 1/4 done with my game. I shorten down my map numbers by putting smaller maps with the previous map.

I fell off my chair when i was reading this...

Lol! I smiled while reading that  :)

~Winged 

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
Yep, I decided to lower my world map size down to 300x250. I think i'll have it so you have to go back to old places more instead of having a series of new places.

pokeball KanOfflineMale
Rep: +0/-0Level 88
Mapping expert.
I'm planning on having well over 1000+ maps, but most of them are on the default 20x15 scale, but I do have a couple maps pulling over the 300x240 mark, so there.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
You can only have 1000 maps in RMXP. Make them bigger instead.
Visit our website.

Rep:
Level 88
damn...doesn't that make it lag more, because of the sudden load of events?
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 88
Something something events
Project of the Month winner for December 2008
I just made a snow maze that was like... 10~15 maps. That's just part one though I still got the whole mine to make. So I must say my games get up and over 300 maps if I finish the games. I'm at 50 maps and I still need to do most of the houses in the 160x120 city o_o God that city took me 3 days to make >_> and it is only the midsection >.< most my maps are 30x30+ a few are 20x15