RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Tutorial] Making a Clean Character Selection Page

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
How to Make a Clean Character Selection Page

Summary
Teaches you how to make an effective character selection page for the beginning of your game.

Requirements
1 Global switch
2 Custom character sheet graphics [attached at the bottom]

Screenshot

Tutorial

1. To start, make the smallest map that you can. [17x13]

2. Create a map that looks like this:
Spoiler for:

3. Use the impassable 'full shadow' tile for the 'borders' of the walking space.

4. Also, change the passability of the 'background' tile [the checkered transparent tile] to passable, or O.

5. Use the custom graphic, of a white dot, as the graphic for the event just before each character.

6. Leave the actual character event pages blank. The events are held within the white dot events.

7. Each page for the 'white dot' graphic event should look like this:
Spoiler for:

8. That event must be 'below characters' and 'action button'.

9. Make sure that each 'Change Actor Graphic' is changed for each different instance. Also, take note of the first 'Change Actor Graphic' event command 6 lines down. The 'cursor' image is STILL the character graphic but the 'FACE IMAGE' is changed. That is because the next process is a name input and during the name input it shows a face graphic. It's necessary to see it then. The second 'Change Actor Graphic' event command 17 Lines down is where you will change the actual character graphic. The graphic will change in process of teleporting your character to your 'first' map of the game. It looks very clean.

10. Looking back at this image:
Spoiler for:
, you'll notice 5 events in the upper left corner of the map. Take a look at the demo for these event page. These are the controls of the cursor. They override your movement, so that each step you take will make the 'cursor' sound effect giving you even more of the illusion of a cursor. Each event [of the first 4] in the upper left corner separately control each direction of the cursor. The 5th event is just the switch that autoruns before all this to turn on the effect. You'll notice that in this image:
Spoiler for:
, that the switch is turned off at the beginning and on if you reselect characters. If the switch remained ON, then you would still be capable of moving while the messages are being displayed. Very buggy looking.

Finished

Conclusion
The demo, in my opinion, is more explanatory and you'll be able to see all of this in action. It's pretty simple. Take a good look at it. Also, if you have any problems with this or are confused about anything, post in this topic or feel free to PM me.

Credits
Credits are unnecessary, but welcome. If you do, you can credit be by Grafikal, Grafikal006, or Grafikal007.

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
haha, this is acctually really cool!
this gave me loads if ideas. Simple to implement and use, didnt think of it this way and should help new people allot!

Good job

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Great tutorial grafikal, love it. :3
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep:
Level 87
~Be Cool~
Nice to see peeps doing tuts for VX.  Kudos :D

:blizj:

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\

I don't often do Tutorials. Eventsystems are easier to explain instead of: Screenshot, upload, screenshot, upload, screenshot, upload, talk, talk, talk, screenshot, upload, finished demo, upload that, etc.

Rep:
Level 87
~Be Cool~
LOL! YOu actually have a point there.  Nice demo btw, made things clearer also. Thanks for the inspiration! =]

YOu made or currently doing any games atm?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I've made a couple games, all unreleased. I had one demo a long while ago for XP, and yes. I'm working on a game at the moment. There's a lot of graphics that need to be worked on for it. I posted it's title screen in VX resources a couple hours ago.

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
...tonight will be just another memory.
Very nice tut - I was actually looking for this very thing! Great job!

Rep: +0/-0Level 83
How would you go about giving the different characters different Parameters for str, dex etc?

Since one of the chars will probably be a warrior with lots of str, and one a mage with lots of int.

Noticed a change paramters event, however the values there are quite confusing. Increase 1 constant.
What does that acctually do? How much will str troughtout the game be affected?

Nice character selection mate, made one myself before I found this one. I'll borrow your cursor graphic :)

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
You'll have to look at the help files of the RPGM for that. It tells you the math as to how damage is calculated with your str compared to an enemy's def and so on. So, the effects of your character's str will be different from other games. I can't answer that for you.

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
lll Carpe Diem lll
This is great! better then the one I made myself for sure...
The only thing is that you can't use face graphics for the main char... or can you?
*  Name: Sexy Technique (おいろけの術, Oiroke no Jutsu; Viz "Ninja Centerfold", English TV "Sexy Jutsu", UK DVD "Art of Eros")
    * Type: E-rank, Supplementary
    * Users: Naruto Uzumaki, Konohamaru, Moegi, Udon
    * Hand Seal: Ram
    * Debut (Anime): Episode 1
    * Debut (Manga): Chapter 1

The Sexy Technique is simply a Transformation Technique used to transform the user into a beautiful, nude woman (or a woman in a bathing suit, as seen in episode 177 and the Naruto video games). Naruto uses it to distract his instructors, sometimes leading to an exaggerated nosebleed by the victim, and it is indeed annoyingly effective; even the Third Hokage swooned when Naruto used it on him. Naruto was forced to use this jutsu in order to receive training from Jiraiya and has also used it to get Jiraiya's attention if he was slacking off. A variant of this technique is the Harem Technique, which uses varying numbers of shadow clones in combination with the technique to produce multiple clones of a nude women. Naruto teaches the Sexy Technique to Konohamaru in episode 2, who in turn taught it to Moegi and Udon.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
When you change an actor's graphic you can set the corresponding face graphic at the same time. If you mean select them by their face graphics instead of by the sprites, you'll have to crop out each face graphic and place 4 (or more if you want more selection of characters) pictures and align them in the correct positions. If you still want the cursor you should make the cursor graphic as large as the face graphic and align it correctly too. It's more work and requires some precision alignment, but you can do it.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I assume he means in message boxes though. For that, you would either need a conditional branch for every message and set the face graphic accordingly. Better to grab a script from the Database called Swap graphics or something, by Yanfly. That script would allow it easily enough.