RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RESOLVED] Trouble With Message

Rep:
Level 88
Your greatest flaw is that you have a soul.
Warm greetings.

Alright, here's the bothering problem: During creation of the cutscene, I have a particular movement. However, before the movement, one message must be displayed. So I make the message, and put movement action afterwards but the problem is, when testing - the message window either remains visible or keeps poping out all the time. I just don't know how to make that message appear once at the begining without looping, freezing or popuping. In other words, I don't know how to kill that message. I had this problem before making cutscenes but I just avoided it by making a new page, however, now it's useless. I tried to bypass it with various combinations but failed, so I'm asking for help. It seems that, again, I'm missing one single point yet I don't know which one. I did use search both for forum and google but failed to find this issue resolved.

How to kill it (I'm using rmxp postality knights edition enhanced)?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 12:19:42 AM by Decadent Sympozium »

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 05:09:55 PM by BanisherOfEden »
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 88
What the...a video? O.o Lol haven't seen that for quite some time, someone's really up to it. Thanks, I'll take a look and eventually edit this post by need.

Rep:
Level 88
I'm back :P
ummm it keeps on popping up all the time? thats odd. well if you want to use switches you can use a local switch command after the message is shown.

Rep:
Level 88
It didn't help. I took a look at the video and it didn't help as well since I knew all that but I did, however, come up with a particular idea that I'll try tommorow. Ho ho ho.

Rep:
Level 88
wait how much do u have going on in one event? cause it might happen because it lags n crap and f's up.

Rep:
Level 88
Very little. Theoretically there's this one message (The character appears on the door and thinks something for himself), then movement up to you (the player), and chat. That's it. So what I first do is set "Show Message". Then I set the movements, and end with chat, but when I test the game, the first message keeps on repeating itself and doesn't go away. No clue.

Rep:
Level 88
can you print screen of the events that happen? maybe i can find the problem.  :-\

Rep:
Level 88
Ok I'm really confused. Here's the shoot, got no idea what's wrong:

Problem

Now, if I'm doing something wrong please retype it the right way, this is what happens:

1.Screen goes gray
2.Appears first message, normal screen
3.Third Message
4.Fourth Message
No move action, messages displayed on screen, the last one keeps repeating, you can't exit it.

And it should go

1.Screen goes gray
2.First message appears, normal screen
3.Movement
4.Third Message
5. Fourth message
Continue of conversation

Rep:
Level 88
oh yeaaaah this is really easy to fix. so you want to have it end after the conversation so you can move around n junk afterwards? ok well because it is an autostart event once the event finishes, it will autostart to the beginning, because its an autostart event. so this is what you do. after the last conversation window use the event local switch, and turn local switch A on. then put a new page there with the same guy, if you still want the image of the guy to be there, and in the top right under preconditions use the drop down of local A switch so that it is set to on. then you could have maybe the guy say a message when pressed with the action key. its simple switch stuff. so if you need any extra help just post

Rep:
Level 88
Hah you misunderstood.  :D

You see - what I want doesn't happen. Instead of the normal roll of events (which I wrote last), what happens is that this character DOES NOT move, it keep staying where it was while all the messages roll (as if there's no code at all), and once they do, the last message keeps repeating on and on, you can't continue, and that character still DID NOT move.

Rep:
Level 88
maybe its because its set to no animation.

Rep:
Level 88
Ok here's whats going on now:

The character does move - BUT - The messages display one after another as if there is no move event. You see, it appears as if they "skip" the move event and just continue displaying. What I want is first to display one message,  then the character moves, then the rest of messages - but it doesn't happen, the messages are displaying simultaneously as he walks. I don't know how to fix that.

Rep:
Level 88
ok, well inbetween each message put a wait for 20 frames or so, that might help

Rep:
Level 88
Well you see that might help to me who knows what's going on, but a player can choose to hit continue message anytime he wants and that means he can make characters talk after 10 minnutes or 2 seconds while this guy will still be moving. It doesn't help. I need straight and exact behavior: 1 message first, player hits continue, the character moves upward, reaches position - new two messages displayed. I tried with local switches but then the event messes up. >_>

There's got to be the way to stop messages from displaying before this character moves to his position...it's like...a logical thing, actually. O.o

You see on that link that Banisher gave is this cutscene tutorial, the guy was doing what I was doing and his thingy is rolling ordinary while my mixes up. O.o
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 10:02:49 PM by Decadent Sympozium »

Rep:
Level 88
ok well dont have movements before he talks. have movements inbetween each message.

Rep:
Level 88
I'm not sure what you mean. You see, it appears that he skips the orders of movement. The game listens to order of displaying message, and order of "start movement", but doesn't wait for the order of movement to end, rather, once it reaches instant order to start move, the messages keep displaying (as if no movement order is put)...

I'm very thankful for your helping hand, by the way. ;)

Hmm..how about you try making something? Just make a new map, one character, and put event on it. Make it do the following:

Order to display message
Order to walk 4 up, 3 left, 4 up.
Order to display message

tell me what happens.

Rep:
Level 88
ok if you want to make him say something, then move then say the next thing after he's done moving do this:

turn no animation off. and try the wait command for 40 frames or so, till it gets the right amount of movement in before it says the next message.

Rep:
Level 88
O.o What the hell?!

You know what happens? The character moves upward then suddenly slides diagonally across the room toward the player, then it turns to him and turns back upward and slides upward towards the end of the wall instead of stopping at the character by the given movement. o.o OMG I'll explode.

EDIT

Ok here's what I did. I listen to your codes but I replaced "move" with "step", so he faces up, steps forward, steps foward, steps forward, steps forward, turns left, steps forward, steps forward, steps forward, turns up, steps forward x 4, turns left, I adjust wait and then the messages displays. So messages finish and I activates local switch, where the script stops with activation of a new switch. I'll make a new event somewhere on the map that activates with that second page from first event and move the character away out of the map as planned. I guess that will work. I just hope I'll be able to adjust more advanced cutscenes I'm planning...gosh...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 11:14:55 PM by Decadent Sympozium »

Rep:
Level 88
lol well goodluck with it. if youre having a lot of trouble maybe save what you have of your game so far to a finished game and i can edit it on my pc and figure out the problem too.

Rep:
Level 88
Alright we'll keep in touch about this.  ;D

Thanks for all your help.

Rep:
Level 88
no problem  ;D goodluck with it

Rep:
Level 88
ROFL Here's what I did:

I made two events. Event one is character. Event two is invisible. Both are simultaneously put to "Autorun".

Event one: Message, walks up (with turn-step forward technique) to my char during wait of 100 frames, talks to him - activates switch "A1" that is a requierment for first page of second event and Local switch "A" that is a req for second page of first event (1 of 2). Now second event is activated. It moves character back to the starting position during wait of 100 frames (perfect match), char says something and activates switch "A2" that is a requierment of second page of first event and local switch "A" of second event. Now the second page of second event is activated - it is blank so it killed second event, and the activation of switch "A2" activated second page of first event where it plays sound of door opening, makes character vanish from the map, and activates local switch "B" of first event to activate page three of first event which is blank and kills it. Now you can play.

Pretty neat, huh? XD XD XD XD
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 12:09:10 AM by Decadent Sympozium »

Rep:
Level 88
lol confusing, but as long as its working thats good :tpg:

Rep:
Level 88
Yeah XD I always tend to do a quality "goaround" if something doesn't work. Actually it looks quite fancy. XD I'll be dealing with it without a problem after a few scenes, ho ho ho. Good work helping me, you put me on a right track. I'll resolve this topic.