RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Sabriel (demo v2.0)

Rep: +0/-0Level 88

"Does the walker chooses the path or the path choose the walker?"

Story
Since childhood, Sabriel has lived outside the walls of the Old Kingdom, away from the power of Free Magic, and away from the Dead who refuse to stay dead. But now her father, the Mage Abhorson, is missing, and Sabriel must cross into that world to find him. With Mogget, whose feline form hides a powerful, perhaps malevolent spirit, and Touchstone, a young Charter Mage, Sabriel travels deep into the Old Kingdom. There she confronts an evil that threatens much more than her life -- and comes face to face with her own hidden destiny. . .

Characters
Character descriptions comming soon.....

Demo
Sabriel Demo v2.0 is now finished. This demo is really mostly just an update to the old demo, with changes here and there, updated graphics (including a new title screen painted by me with Photoshop), and some custom scripts are now used. I am trying to move away from the RTP a bit, but not too much. Also, a new map is playable, however it is not complete so you can only explore it. Very much thanks to VHS1983 for designing this new map for me, and expect it to be used to its full potential in a later demo ^_^

It would be nice if anyone who plays this demo can give me feedback about it. Tell me what you think!

Also, if you find any typos or bugs tell me (I have fixed all that I've found, but there could be a few more out there).

The file is about 9.30MB

Here's the link:

Sabriel Demo v2.0.1

Note: You will have to install the fonts for this game. To do so, open the folder I included (Sabriel Fonts) and drag the fonts in there into the folder C:/WINDOWS/Fonts.

Update: Some minor problems have now been fixed :P

Screenshots
Spoiler for Screenshots:

Credits:

Story:     
             Garth Nix
             Me

Graphics:
             Enterbrain
             Me
             Character Maker (by Saphira)
             VHS1983
             note: Some of the custom graphics that I have used/edited were from uncredited sources, so I cannot give credit to whoever made them. If anyone knows who made a certain graphic that I use, please inform me, so that I may give the propper credit.

Mapping:
             Me
             VHS1983

Sound:
             Enterbrain
             Me

Scripting:
             Me
             SephirothTDS
             and some help from Jaberwocky
             Coacoa (script not utilized in demo)
             Wachunga (script not utilized in demo)

Enjoy! :alright:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 12:20:04 AM by Sneith »
My projects:
Sabriel

Lost Warriors

Rep:
Level 88
I'll download it and try it out ^^

Edit: But filefront is down right now for maintenance X_x

I'll download it and try it out ^^

Edit: But filefront is down right now for maintenance X_x

Thats odd, I jus clicked the link and it took me to the page and everything. Try again and see if it works!
My projects:
Sabriel

Lost Warriors

Rep:
Level 88
Oh ok It works now ^^ I'll try it out!

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
From the screenshots, I can say nice mappiing  ;D
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
It's good. Good mapping, good grammar, interesting little quest and a compelling intro. I'll play the full version when it comes out.

based on this review, I take it the you made it through the whole demo without errors :D

That makes me very happy!

There are alot of sidequests and minigames in Wyverley College, some are hidden, so everyone should look for them. All together I think there are about 8. Some are very simple, such as bringing an item to someone, and others are complex and will take time. I hope you enjoy them!

I just bought the book today (I previously had it from a library...and it was very late when I returned it), so I can now progress the story a bit. It is hard work adapting a novel, so if the game is finished, it will be pretty long, and a new demo probably won't show up TOO soon, unless it is an upgrade to this one.

Well I hope you all enjoy Sabriel so far, and don't forget about i! ;D
My projects:
Sabriel

Lost Warriors

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
SEXY!!!!

I loved this book. When I have more free space on my computer, Ill definatley try this out ^^

Rep:
Level 89
I'm back again. Again.
I DL it, its cool! I'm gonna get the full game and next demo.

Rep:
Level 88
From the screenshots, I can see that it's very professional. I haven't downloaded it it yet, but you know your art, indeed.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
the only thing that bothers me, is that in the second screenshot the staircases go up into nothing, and dont seem to be attached to anything anyways.

the only thing that bothers me, is that in the second screenshot the staircases go up into nothing, and dont seem to be attached to anything anyways.

Yeah, but its like that in alot of RPGs, like pokemon. If a staircase that leads to another floor is in the middle of a room, it just goes up into nothingness. But when you walk up it, you are taken to the next floor. There really isn't any other way to do it with a top-down, 2D RPG.
My projects:
Sabriel

Lost Warriors

Rep:
Level 88
Sweet, looks good. I'll download it when I get more space on my laptop. ^_^
Project: Assult

Developed by: Phoenix studios.

Release Date: 2008 [Scheduled]

Game Engine: Irrlicht Engine (Graphics Engine) (Gameplay Engine unconfirmed)

Rep:
Level 88
The presentation is marvellous, with the color tones and the pretty fogs mixing together masterfully, and the English is just like out a Garth Nix novel. This is quite close to a masterpiece. Well done; I'll be looking forward to the next edition.

Wow thanks!

I guess I just have a natural skill with this sort of thing, since this is my very first try!

I also had to figure out how to do everything with RMXP on my own, and haven't had any outside help (yet).
My projects:
Sabriel

Lost Warriors

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice

Yeah, but its like that in alot of RPGs, like pokemon. If a staircase that leads to another floor is in the middle of a room, it just goes up into nothingness. But when you walk up it, you are taken to the next floor. There really isn't any other way to do it with a top-down, 2D RPG.
yes, but you see, they can get away with it for two reasons-
-it is a slightly different perspective
-RMXP is alot more detailed, and your staircase is longer. Also, The ones in pokemon usually go to the side, not up and down.

Alright, Sabriel demo v2.0.1 is now up!!

Sorry it took me so long to make an update, I put game making aside for a little while.

But thanks to everyone who is a fan of the book for their support! ^_^

~Sneith
My projects:
Sabriel

Lost Warriors

Pure Awesome.
Rep:
Level 87
Narrowing Fabrications of an Elusive Mind
Please upload to a different hoster..such as box.net or megaupload >.>

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Please upload to a different hoster..such as box.net or megaupload >.>
[/quote

www.sendspace.com
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Pure Awesome.
Rep:
Level 87
Or sendspace I guess...

will Mediafire work? That's what I usually use....

Is there something wrong with filefront?

well, I just changed the link to Mediafire :P
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 02:03:56 AM by Sneith »
My projects:
Sabriel

Lost Warriors

Pure Awesome.
Rep:
Level 87
It hates me

Try mediafire...and if it doesn't work I'll do one of those other ones.
My projects:
Sabriel

Lost Warriors

Pure Awesome.
Rep:
Level 87
Mediafire FTW ^^

EDIT: great game. Even if you didn't have to exactly come up witht the storyline, the miniquests are awsome and the cutscenes were good also.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 02:28:38 AM by Lackluster »

Communication begins with understanding
Rep:
Level 89
Project of the Month winner for October 2007
Mapping looks good. Never read the book though.....