RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
A few questions on rm2k3

Rep: +0/-0Level 85
Heya peoples, I'm just wondering about a few things that could help me in creating my game. For starters: variables. They confuse me, and I hope someone can link me to a tutorial or something or just give me a short rundown on the basics. Thanks in advance!
I've got a plan so cunning you could brush your teeth with it.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009

Rep: +0/-0Level 85
That's very helpful, thanks a bunch.
I've got a plan so cunning you could brush your teeth with it.

Rep:
Level 90
Variables are numbers.

As an example you would use them for random occourances.

Var = random(4) // this means you will get a random of 1 - 4

if (Var == 0){

"I'll guess your name is Joe"

}

if (Var == 1){

"I'll guess your name is Tina"

}

if (Var == 2){

"I'll guess your name is Chloe"

}

if (Var == 3){

"Guessing games are retarted"

}

If you had

Var = 1

I guess your name would be Tina would show up no matter what.

Vars can hold numbers like how much gold you have or how many items (potions, herbs, ect) you are holding. You can make quests like you need 5 herbs, so you would set your variable to be how many herbs the player was carrying.

Switches are on / off
community project for RPG Maker VX: http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,33789.0.html

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Yeah. What she said... :)

Another way to get aquatinted with them is to download someone's demo [preferably event system] for whatever RPGM and look at their events. Check out the variables and try to figure out what they do. Change stuff and see the different outcomes. Throw yourself in and experiment!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 05:17:25 PM by grafikal007 »