RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Discussion: How do you prepare your tilesets?

Rep:
Level 87
I'm starting to find the standard tilesets don't have everything I want in the one place.  I'm starting to combine them - usually one or two full ones, and then I'm searching through maybe half a dozen others just looking for little bits and pieces to make things "just right".  It's tiring, time consuming and prone to error since I then have to set up all the stuff in the database once I import the new set.

Is this what you guys do?  Do you chop and change and spend a lot of time just preparing the tilesets before actually getting into your maps?  Or do you just use what's provided and make do (or download other pre-prepared tilesets) without doing a lot of modding yourself?

I've seen a couple of "full" tilesets floating around - everything combined into one huge set.  Does that add an overhead to every map it's used on - does the whole thing need to be loaded when the game is being played, or just those parts that are actually used?

Looking for a discussion on which way you go, and what you think are the advantages/disadvantages...
Always remember you're unique.
Just like everybody else.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
tilesets have to be very large to cause lag on a standard map. If you have a large tilest, a large map or a lot of events then you'll probably get some significant lag (any one of them can cause lag) but if every thing is in moderation you'll be alright.

I usually use what's provided and if I see things that I'd like, I'll add them as I go about making my map.

Rep:
Level 87
From the graves of dead patriots springs a nation
I'm starting to find the standard tilesets don't have everything I want in the one place.  I'm starting to combine them - usually one or two full ones, and then I'm searching through maybe half a dozen others just looking for little bits and pieces to make things "just right".  It's tiring, time consuming and prone to error since I then have to set up all the stuff in the database once I import the new set.

Is this what you guys do?  Do you chop and change and spend a lot of time just preparing the tilesets before actually getting into your maps?  Or do you just use what's provided and make do (or download other pre-prepared tilesets) without doing a lot of modding yourself?

I've seen a couple of "full" tilesets floating around - everything combined into one huge set.  Does that add an overhead to every map it's used on - does the whole thing need to be loaded when the game is being played, or just those parts that are actually used?

Looking for a discussion on which way you go, and what you think are the advantages/disadvantages...

yes using large maps will cause your games to lag but i also combine maps i combined castle town and port yesterday and it worked really well