RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Discussion: Best way to arrange maps?

Rep:
Level 87
I've spent some time working from Blizzard's Quick Caves tutorial (GREAT tute!) and wondered what the best approach is to organising maps. 

The tute covers a single room out of eight or nine, and that single room is in a map of its own.

Is it best to create individual maps for each remaining "room", or to put them all together on one big map, with teleport events to take the PC from one room to another?  (note - this is not a question about how to create maps, or how to design them so they're easier to create - this is a question about the best way to organise them in the editor - as a single big map, or as several smaller linked maps)

I would think one big map would be best for seeing how rooms link together, but at what point does size become a problem with slowing the game down?  Is it better to create them all as individual sub-maps so they're grouped together?

What approach do you take - is one way better than the other?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 12:23:39 AM by shaz »
Always remember you're unique.
Just like everybody else.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I'd say this is purely preference. Actually, now that I think of it, you'd need at least the huge map. The huge map would be where everything's connected.

Rep:
Level 88
PSP
try to draw a labirynt puzzle from a piece of paper and based on that do your caves =)

Rep:
Level 87
That's not really what I was asking.  I know how to do caves and systems of caves.  My question was - how do you organise them in the editor:  If your cave system is based on a series of rooms, do you do a single map containing all the rooms, either joined together, or separated with events to transfer the player from one room to another?  Or do you create each room as a separate map to keep the maps smaller, again using events to transfer from one to the other?

Basically, how big does the map have to be, to be "too big" (big enough to have a negative effect on performance)?  Does it depend on size alone, or on the number of events you've got regardless of map size? 

It's really just a discussion topic - what do people prefer to do when they're creating maps.  It's not a "how do I do" something.  Since I'm just starting out and all my maps have been for experimenting, if there's a "best practice" as far as using fewer, larger maps, or more, smaller maps, I'd prefer to know now rather than half way through my first project.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 12:21:03 AM by shaz »

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
I personally prefer a few big maps that teleport to each other. It saves you map space, and adds more of a maze feel to it.
Spoiler for:

Rep:
Level 87
That's a nice one.  It's one big map though - no need to teleport between different areas.  What would you do if you wanted "rooms" that were separated from the main maze - still have them on a single map altogether?

Am I also right in saying any creatures you encountered and defeated would not be recreated anywhere in this map unless you left it and went back in?

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
To organizze, I usually make a blank map, title it the entire region, say Ice Cave, and then I group all the maps under that.

i.e.

>Ice Cave
  >Room 1
  >Room 2
  >...
  >Last Room

Sometimes, for countries, I make a quick overmap that the player cannot ever go on just to get the design firmly set as to distances between towns, etc... but when I do this I normally just do it very quickly, since the player will never be in the map anyway

Rep:
Level 87
I was considering something like that.  So your main map - "Ice Cave" is never actually used?  You have no design on it?

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Yeah, well it depends on the map. If there is a central room, then maybe I will make that as the "Ice Cave" map, but otherwise it will generally have no design and I will just use it as a label for the group of maps that make up the Ice Cave.

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Personally, I use both small and big maps.
For example my Ruins Of The Blind Swordsman have a total of 6 big maze-like maps, and 14 smaller maps.
I usually use the small maps to put obstacles like bridge switches, boulders, etc to sustain performance.
This way, lagging rarely happens.
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep:
Level 87
thanks - you guys are really giving me some good stuff to think about.  Please keep contributing - I'm sure there are other less-experienced game makers who will benefit from this discussion!

Rep:
Level 88
I'm back :P
i like to use small connecting maps, doesnt cause any lag, and theyre easy to manage and organize.
and a tip, i use the complete tileset with all the outdoor tilesets organized together and indoor together in another one. that way you can have a lot of variety ;)

Rep:
Level 87
do you happen to have a link to that?  I'd like the extra variety.  I know I've seen a HUGE one somewhere before, but it was quite a while ago.  Also, are the passability settings taken care of, or do I need to do that manually when I import the tileset?

Rep:
Level 87
RIP w-hat the fork
I noticed something.
If you want one giant map, with all the teleport stuff, you would use less switches.

Why?
Because say you have an event that is to take a cat out of a room.
So it erases the event and that would be it.
Once you leave the room, however, then teh cat would reappear, so you can continue to get cats.

It is easy to fix, self switches, but, you wouldn't have to set up those self switches if you had just one map.

If you had one map however, then you would be a bit disorganized, without being able to do the organization that modern algebra was mentioning.

It is more opinionated then a fact.

I usually have one HUGE map.
Then a bunch of large sub-maps like regions
Then, sub maps again, like towns.
And finally, more submaps of the indoor buildings.
Huge sig is huuuuge.

Rep:
Level 89
Let's attack agressively.
i ussualy use small map because my game will have alot of switches and variable, and if i ut it in one big map it will lag........but i use big maps for dungeons, towns and overworld map, small maps i use for a house or a small cave or a mini boss/boss room.

but if your making a map that will have alot of rooms but only some will use switches, you can use a big map for that....